Planning toddler B-day, wife is killing me...Kinda Long

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Planning toddler B-day, wife is killing me...Kinda Long

So yeah, just like the title I am curious as to what is important to each of you when planning a birthday besides the obvious "budget" or lack of, lol.

My son's birthday is in September so we have starting planning well in advance. My son is turning 3 and the past two years themes were "Mustache" and "Mickey Mouse" events held at her parents house.

This year we were wanting to do a Western theme as my son will pretty much hold anything, including straws like a gun and run around going "pow pow" and then fall down; Western theme makes sense.
    Well, I guess my wife decided that it was too expensive for all of the themed items she wanted so somewhere along the line (I assumed it was a joke) she decided that it would be best to have a "Mexican" theme...WTF is a "Mexican" theme?

Now backing up a little here, my wife was born in Mexico as well as the rest of her family minus little siblings. I was born in Parkland (31% Irish, 31% Scandinavian and 38% BS so I am American and white and have been for SEVERAL generations.

Back to my story, I tell her I don't like the "Mexican" theme because it is not a "Kid" theme, I want something with bright colors, characters he can relate to and activities he enjoys (bounce house, baseball, soccer...etc) so the theme immediately struck me as odd. This took her by surprise; apparently while she was coming up with the Mexican theme she became serious whereas I continued to "play along" thinking she was joking...last night I found out she was serious.

So now she is mad and I guess she sent me a Chuck E Cheese thing...that I took seriously and started working around that. I decided that we could host a party early in the morning, pay the $24 per child...etc then later we could have a pinata and G2G at her parents house like we always do. Then I decided it would be cool for the 3 of us to hit up a Rangers game so he can see some baseball live, not on TV.

I tell her what I think and all hell breaks lose..."she doesn't want to have a 1-2 hr G2G like "Your family does" referencing my family. She stated that "we have over 30 kids, you going to pay $24 each for Chuck E Cheese?" I told her no, we never have more than 10-15 kids..."but what if they do show up? she asked; " my solution was we have them RSVP before September...dont reply then you cover your a$$ at the door.

Basically she is mad that I didn't give her any feedback on her idea but yet here I come with feedback on this idea...and the whole "like your family" does really kinda put me in a mood...feels personal. I dont care what family she came from much less mine, what matters in my eyes is that we are now 1 family the 3 of us and that is what matters...I guess I dont get it.

Every year we go through this where "you dont help me enough" etc...HELLO, I never agreed to do the artsy craftsy stuff much less do I have any interest or artistic abilities. Every year it is something revolving around his birthday and I just dont get it. Why cant we just do kid stuff with our kid and hope he has fun?
    Originally posted by Sean88gt
    You can take white off the list. White on anything is the best, including vehicles, women, and the Presidency.
    Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder
    You can not imagine how difficult it is to hold a half gallon of moo juice and polish the one-eyed gopher when your doin' seventy-five in an eighteen-wheeler.

Dude, you are fighting a woman on a woman front/subject. I would tell her no on the Mexican party and do a different theme. But be prepared to do most of the work. She sounds like she is going to check out on your idea anyways.

Typically my wife comes up with the theme and I just say it sounds good. I may help with putting decorations up, piƱata, etc. But she is control. I am just following orders.

They have their idea about what will make their baby happy. You aren't going to change that idea.

Comment

kindly remind her what size boot you wear....assuming it's something larger that a 9 or else her boot may be bigger.

JK, can't help you on that but I can relate to the WTF moment about the Mexican theme. How about just getting some of the western theme stuff? It's not like the kid is going to remember it anyways.

Comment

Mexicans vs Texans theme?

Comment

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
          Mexicans vs Texans theme?
          lol, maybe find an Alamo themed bounce house, one side playing Ramon Ayala and the other side playing Metallica...destined to meet in the middle at "The Alamo"...?

Edit: Just realized I would be the only one on the Metallica side
          Last edited by Gtracer; 06-08-2016, 12:38 PM.
          You can take white off the list. White on anything is the best, including vehicles, women, and the Presidency.
          You can not imagine how difficult it is to hold a half gallon of moo juice and polish the one-eyed gopher when your doin' seventy-five in an eighteen-wheeler.

Comment

Originally posted by Gtracer View Post
            lol, maybe find an Alamo themed bounce house, one side playing Ramon Ayala and the other side playing Metallica...destined to meet in the middle at "The Alamo"...?

Edit: Just realized I would be the only one on the Metallica side
            So the relative force size would be comparable to the original Alamo, and the outcome just as futile.

I'm not seeing a problem here.

Comment

mexican chicks are crazy, Yo!
              "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
                mexican chicks are crazy, Yo!
                I swore them off after one tried to kill me. That stereotype is fucking true.

OP, Have you tried hitting her? Sometimes a "hard reset" is the answer.

Comment

Originally posted by Craizie View Post

He could blow in her cartridge.

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
                    Mexican chicks are crazy!
                    Every bit of this right here, patnah...
                    Originally posted by Silverback
                    Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Just let her do whatever theme she wants and let her do most of the work. who really cares, the kid wont remember a damn thing about it in a few months.

Comment

Originally posted by Craizie View Post

I can match their level of crazy, I just suppress those thoughts. I will try the "hard reset" when I get home, I just happen to have a fresh bottle of baby powder to show her I care.

Comment

Originally posted by Shaggin Wagon View Post
                          Just let her do whatever theme she wants and let her do most of the work. who really cares, the kid wont remember a damn thing about it in a few months.
                          You see, I get this and for the past 2 years I went along because it had a "Kid" theme...I even went along with this one albeit in fun but at the first sign of "I dont like that" all hell broke lose.

Am I not entitled to an opinion you know but I digress, it is a losing argument yet I still need to write her the check.

Comment

Happy wife, happy life.

Wife wanted an American Ninja Warrior party last year for our twins. I used up 3/4 of the spare lumber I've been collecting for other purposes (gun benches...etc..etc) on obstacles...etc. Then promptly disassembled them and ended up burning the wood.

She did paint them and place them while I was enjoying brews, but now I'm about out of lumber...etc...etc.

The lumber was a big deal to me, but the concept is the same. Is it really that big of a deal? If it is, stand your ground. In most cases it's really not worth the hassle.
                            Originally posted by MR EDD
                            U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Originally posted by Gtracer View Post
                              You see, I get this and for the past 2 years I went along because it had a "Kid" theme...I even went along with this one albeit in fun but at the first sign of "I dont like that" all hell broke lose.

Am I not entitled to an opinion you know but I digress, it is a losing argument yet I still need to write her the check.
                              You have to pick your battles in a relationship. So sit back and think on if this is worth digging in and standing up for.

Comment

Working...
                              X