No announcement yet.

Texas on record-setting pace for inappropriate teacher-student relationships

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Texas on record-setting pace for inappropriate teacher-student relationships

AMARILLO, Texas - Reports of Texas teachers having inappropriate relationships with students are on track to beat last year's record total.

The Texas Education Agency reports it has launched 162 investigations of reported inappropriate teacher-student relationships between Sept. 1 and May 31. The Amarillo Globe-News reports that the agency had 188 investigations last fiscal year, marking at least the fifth year of growth in a row.

The issue in Texas shot back into the national spotlight after it was revealed last week that former Houston-area teacher Alexandria Vera, 24, had been impregnated by a then-13-year-old former student.

Court documents allege she was introduced to his family as the boy's girlfriend, and the woman said that his parents supported the relationship and invited her to family gatherings. She reportedly said she told a school district investigator the family was "very supportive and excited" when she disclosed her pregnancy. She allegedly said she and the boy "love each other."

According to the probable cause document, she aborted the pregnancy after a child welfare investigator questioned her in February about the relationship, which she denied at the time.

Texas lawmakers could address the topic of such relationships during next year's legislative session. The state Senate held a hearing on the subject in December, and the Texas House Public Education Committee took similar testimony last month. At the House committee hearing, lawmakers and testimony from experts blamed social media.

"In the past, you might not have had students choosing to interact socially with a teacher. Now they'll friend them on Facebook or they'll reach out to them on Snapchat," Kathy Tortoreo, director of crisis services at Family Support Services in Amarillo, told the Globe-News.

"The adult is supposed to understand the boundary, and the adult is supposed to uphold the boundary," Tortoreo said.

Christina Green, director of the Children's Advocacy Centers of Texas, testified before the House panel on the importance of training school staff to spot abuse. Green urged schools to implement policies setting boundaries for social media use by faculty.

"Our goal, outside of preventing these inappropriate relationships from ever developing, should be to identify and quash these cases at the point of grooming before any abuse happens," she said.

Green said it's important not to pretend the issue doesn't exist.

"The part that's hardest is having the courage to initiate a lot of these conversations," she said. "This is not an issue that people like to talk about."
    There is a lot of truth the bolded statement. A buddy just started last year with teaching and says he constantly has to tell kids no with social media requests.

Denny has been away reinventing himself as a High School teacher. It all makes sense now.
    Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
      http://www.cbsnews.com/news/texas-re...relationships/

There is a lot of truth the bolded statement. A buddy just started last year with teaching and says he constantly has to tell kids no with social media requests.
      That is a very good point. No one was really jumping to get teachers phone numbers before social media evolved. Now, it is just a quick friend request and hope it is accepted. Much more low key, and easier for everyone involved to feel like no harm, no foul in the beginning.
      Originally posted by Leah
      Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

Originally posted by KBScobravert View Post
        Denny has been away reinventing himself as a High School teacher. It all makes sense now.
        Lol, has anyone heard from him in a while?
        Originally posted by Leah
        Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

I would have Math Test and Chilled with my high school Algebra teacher

Comment

My wife teaches, and they have a pretty strict policy with teachers not being allowed to interact with students via social media. Talking about this subject, she's hearing chatter that texas schools are likely reporting this stuff more than other areas. I can see a district wanting to keep it quiet, whereas some want to get rid of the liability by reporting everything.
            "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Hey, maybe its because teachers are bigger Whores than ever...and the guys are just taking advantage of the situation

Comment

Originally posted by black50 View Post
                Hey, maybe its because teachers are bigger Whores than ever...and the guys are just taking advantage of the situation
                I'm pretty sure the level of whores has remained fairly even over the years.

Comment

The teaching profession is changing/ has changed. A lot of the old school teachers are retiring and the trend is to replace them with younger, more open minded teachers. With them getting younger, especially at the HS level there's times where the teacher and student are less than 5 years apart. I am not condoning it in any way but I can see how someone with low self esteem and the college party mentality could justify it.

What they don't keep track of is how many of the teachers are fucking each other, having wild sex parties with drugs/alcohol etc... It's insane. The worst( or best depending on your perspective) are the out of town/overnight field trips where hotel rooms are involved.

Comment

Originally posted by Venom View Post
                    The teaching profession is changing/ has changed. A lot of the old school teachers are retiring and the trend is to replace them with younger, more open minded teachers. With them getting younger, especially at the HS level there's times where the teacher and student are less than 5 years apart. I am not condoning it in any way but I can see how someone with low self esteem and the college party mentality could justify it.

What they don't keep track of is how many of the teachers are fucking each other, having wild sex parties with drugs/alcohol etc... It's insane. The worst( or best depending on your perspective) are the out of town/overnight field trips where hotel rooms are involved.
                    This couldn't be more accurate. We have a lot of young teachers. While I haven't seen this first hand, I've heard stories about the annual convention that takes place in Austin. Teachers be wild!

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeG. View Post
                      This couldn't be more accurate. We have a lot of young teachers. While I haven't seen this first hand, I've heard stories about the annual convention that takes place in Austin. Teachers be wild!
                      I don't see you listing the dates and hotel names. Maybe I missed them.

Comment

Originally posted by KBScobravert View Post
                        I would have Math Test and Chilled with my high school Algebra teacher
                        Had I known then what I know now, I probably could have. Mmmmm Ms. Riley......
                        Putting warheads on foreheads since 2004

Pro-Touring Build

Comment

Originally posted by Z06killinsbf View Post
                          Had I known then what I know now, I probably could have. Mmmmm Ms. Riley......
                          oh if only. I'm an admitted late bloomer on the ways with women, and looking back, I see so many times I could have but didnt have a clue. Most notably, my girlfriend's drill team instructor was DTF and I didnt know it. Once we graduated, one of the guys that was dating a chick on the drill team broke up with her and moved in with the instructor.
                          "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Working...
                          X