to buy or not to buy....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• to buy or not to buy....

I've been kicking around the idea of getting a 1970 mustang fastback. It doesn't have to be a boss or mach 1 since they're out of my price range but I definitely want a v-8. I've been looking at 69s too but I'm not a fan of the 4 headlights.

Gimme your thoughts on this little guy...
    http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/cto/5589007526.html

I'm going to go see it this weekend. It's auto, has no a/c, and probably slower than a bicycle.

Do you think it's worth it? What would you offer?

I dont think thats a $19k car...Maybe $12-14k?

Comment

You lost me at your comments on the 69.

<---1969 Owner

Other than that, not a bad car. Too many personal touches for my taste. If the body is solid and he has some wiggle room on the price, not a bad deal.

Comment

Originally posted by 8mpg View Post
        I've been thinking of offering $15.5 - $16k. I can't see anyone selling one in somewhat decent shape for $12k. If you find one let me know. Lol.

Originally posted by homealone View Post
        You lost me at your comments on the 69.

<---1969 Owner

Other than that, not a bad car. Too many personal touches for my taste. If the body is solid and he has some wiggle room on the price, not a bad deal.
        Haha. I like the 69 model but I prefer the 70. I need to see it in person to see if I"ll make an offer. I've checked all the craigslists and autotraders, etc around the southwest and haven't really seen any screaming deals. :-(

Comment

Seriously? That looks like a really solid car. I've seen a lot more being asked for a lot worse and fastbacks/sportsroofs command a premium. If it runs and drives well I'd say that price isn't too far off. A/C can be added, and can be a lot cheaper than rust or paint issues. I wouldn't feel bad about $16-17k if it's as nice as the pics make it look (on my phone at least).

Comment

Yeah, wiggle room on the price should be the deal maker. $16 to 17k, cash money.
            "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

69/70 market is strong and that is not far off of what a average to good driver is bringing (or at least asking...)

Comment

Originally posted by helosailor View Post
                Yeah, wiggle room on the price should be the deal maker. $16 to 17k, cash money.
                Be sure to offer cash money...

Comment

Originally posted by Craizie View Post
                  Be sure to offer cash money...
                  You damn right, maybe even a couple of coldbeers.
                  "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

'69 owner here too.

That car looks decent with a lot of stuff already done to it. Like others, I'm not feeling the 19K, but it's probably worth making a trip over to check it out.

I'll bet 17.5K would get it on the quick.

mardyn

Comment

[puts on flame suit]

Im not a big fan of the 70 front end, but I like that they dont have the fake brake cooling ducts on the quarters of the fastbacks. My preference leans towards coupes, but I seem to be in the minority there.

As long as that one isnt covered in mud and isnt rusty, I dont think his price is way out of line assuming he has a bit of wiggle room. I have watched the market for a while, they are pretty stagnant currently. If he puts it on ebay with international bidding option, he might get more for it.

Looks like it has a bit of suspension work done, and that's good, cause they were sloppy from the factory and got worse over the years. I dont like that it still has drums on the front, bit it looks like a power steering and brake car? I dont mind the aftermarket gauges, the factory stuff was vague at best in my car.
                      "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by BLAKE View Post
                        Seriously? That looks like a really solid car. I've seen a lot more being asked for a lot worse and fastbacks/sportsroofs command a premium. If it runs and drives well I'd say that price isn't too far off. A/C can be added, and can be a lot cheaper than rust or paint issues. I wouldn't feel bad about $16-17k if it's as nice as the pics make it look (on my phone at least).
                        Im very hesitant of cars that "look" solid. I have seen quite a few that look solid but end up filled with rust and bondo. Unless there are some major photos of restoration work or something, I wouldnt pay that much for a car that could end up needing a full resto. If I was to buy a car, I just want a solid body (where the work has been done and there is proof) and I can fix the rest. A quick can of spraypaint makes things looks a lot better than they are.

Comment

Im very hesitant of cars that "look" solid. I have seen quite a few that look solid but end up filled with rust and bondo. Unless there are some major photos of restoration work or something, I wouldnt pay that much for a car that could end up needing a full resto. If I was to buy a car, I just want a solid body (where the work has been done and there is proof) and I can fix the rest. A quick can of spraypaint makes things looks a lot better than they are.
                          I guess. I don't see that predisposition making that a $12k car though. I would default to that being a fair asking price if its as good as it looks in the ad, and go down from there if popsicle sticks and toothpaste are the only thing keeping it from folding in half.

Edit: I'm surprised the DFWM Ballers are being such cheap asses. I'd say that is a pretty badass car for a realistic price until an in-person visit says otherwise.

Comment

do some homework on how to detect a flood car. any hint of air freshener stop looking. they always miss something somewhere. with all the floods in the last few years they are popping up everywhere.

it no repaint 19k is not too far out. i would start at 15 and deal.

Comment

So I ended up not buying that mustang. I got this princess. She needs some minor things but overall a real solid stang. She's a true mach 1 with a 351 Cleveland.

What do yall think she's worth? Just curious to see if I got hustled too bad. Lol.

Comment

Working...
                              X