Millions more Americans to be eligible for overtime pay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Millions more Americans to be eligible for overtime pay

Moving to fatten low- and middle-income paychecks that have languished for years, the Obama administration on Tuesday unveiled a long-awaited rule that will make millions of Americans newly eligible for overtime pay.

While some businesses welcome the measure, many say it will simply force them to reshuffle salaries to get around the regulation. Others fear it will mean demoting white-collar workers and altering workplace cultures.

The rule, slated to be formally released Wednesday, would essentially double the threshold at which executive, administrative and professional employees are exempt from overtime pay to $47,476 from the current $23,660. That’s expected to make 4.2 million additional workers eligible to receive time-and-a-half wages for each hour they put in beyond 40 a week.

Labor Secretary Thomas Perez said the salary threshold was originally intended to exempt high-paid executives but instead has denied overtime to low-level retail supervisors and entry-level office workers who often toil 50 to 70 hours a week.

“Too few people are getting the overtime that (federal law) intended,” he told reporters. “It’s simply not right.”

Vice President Biden called the change a critical part of the White House’s goal of “restoring and expanding access to the middle class. The middle class is getting clobbered.”

The rule represents the administration's most prominent initiative to lift middle-class wages. President Obama's call to raise the federal minimum wage from $7.25 an hour to more than $10 has been stymied by Republicans in Congress. The share of full-time workers who qualify for overtime has fallen from 62% in 1975 to 7% today, according to the administration. The new rule, which would take effect Dec. 1, would allow 35% of workers to qualify.

Many companies expect to convert salaried workers to hourly employees who will need to punch a clock and track their hours, hurting morale in some cases. Some will likely maintain the status of salaried employees, but will still have to monitor their hours and net the extra pay for logging more than 40. Others will lift workers' base pay to the new threshold to avoid paying overtime.

Many small businesses can’t absorb the added cost and will instruct employees to work no more than 40 hours a week, bringing on part-time workers to pick up the slack, says Dan Bosch, head of regulatory policy for the National Federation of Independent Business. Perez said that will still be a plus because it will restore leisure time to overworked employees.

Yet some businesses plan to cut employees' base pay to offset the overtime, effectively skirting the requirement.
    The Obama rule puts a huge cost and regulatory burden on employers, who will face pressure to cut back on benefits and full-time employees,” says Trey Kovacs, policy analyst with the Competitive Enterprise Institute.

But U.S. Rep. Mark Takano, D-Calif., said it's “long overdue,” adding that “millions of employees are working long hours without fair compensation.”

The administration, which initially proposed the rule last summer, did make concessions in response to the 270,000 public comments it received. It lowered the new salary threshold to $47,476 from the proposed $50,544.

And it’s allowing employers to apply bonuses and incentive payments to up to 10% of the new salary threshold. The threshold also will be updated every three years instead of annually, rising to $51,000 on Jan. 1, 2020.

Perez said the new rule also clarifies the types of duties white-collar employees must perform to be exempt. That potentially makes eligible an additional 8.9 million workers now misclassified, he said, such as certain administrative employees who don’t supervise anyone.

This shouldn't affect the ballers here, of course.
    Last edited by mstng86; 05-18-2016, 12:54 PM.

I pay that in taxes! :-)

Comment

I remember being in that pay range and it never crossed my mind that I needed overtime. I work a lot of hours over 40 too. I agreed that for X amount of dollars I'll do the job I agreed to do. Seemed simple and fair enough to me.

As I got better OR if I really hated the job, I provided 2 weeks noticed and resigned/quit.
      Originally posted by MR EDD
      U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Originally posted by ceyko View Post
        I remember being in that pay range and it never crossed my mind that I needed overtime. I work a lot of hours over 40 too. I agreed that for X amount of dollars I'll do the job I agreed to do. Seemed simple and fair enough to me.

As I got better OR if I really hated the job, I provided 2 weeks noticed and resigned/quit.
        I thought the same thing until one day I get a class action lawsuit against an employer of mine for this same issue. Apparently the title I had was deemed not salary worthy and I was due OT pay for x amounts of weeks for x amounts of years.

Comment

Government has never learned the law of unintended consequences. People I'm that pay range will soon learn it.

Comment

We really need more regulations in this country, maybe we can be like France soon.
            Last edited by Broncojohnny; 05-18-2016, 01:52 PM.
            Originally posted by racrguy
            What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
            Originally posted by racrguy
            Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Salaried employees are paid for 40 hour work weeks, atleast that was the case when I worked for target. It would show pay as 40 hours. Technically employers will still have loop holes and force that employee to work more hours to accomplish the job since salaried employees do not use a time clock

Useless to most employees including myself.

If the bylaw stated that salary employees paid under 250k a year must use a time clock I would be very happy

Comment

I had no idea there was a law for salaried employees to receive OT. Always hated being required to work more than 40 hours and not get paid for it. I may have been slightly above the old threshhold though.
                I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

My problem with salary (which has nothing to do with this thread, but Ima say it anyway) is that if I'm expected to work over 40 when required to get the job done, that's fine, but when there isn't enough work to keep me busy for 40 then I should be able to leave early.

What's good for the goose has never been good for the gander as far as salaried is concerned.
                  G'Day Mate

Comment

Originally posted by Grimpala View Post
                    My problem with salary (which has nothing to do with this thread, but Ima say it anyway) is that if I'm expected to work over 40 when required to get the job done, that's fine, but when there isn't enough work to keep me busy for 40 then I should be able to leave early.

What's good for the goose has never been good for the gander as far as salaried is concerned.
                    A lot of that is workplace culture which is typically determined by the management team.

Comment

So...in regards to OT for salaried employees I thought there was also some caveat that basically covered 95% of all salaried employees that made them exempt from OT. Anyone remember that?

Comment

Originally posted by ceyko View Post
                        So...in regards to OT for salaried employees I thought there was also some caveat that basically covered 95% of all salaried employees that made them exempt from OT. Anyone remember that?
                        yeah, they have "exempt" status.
                        "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
                          yeah, they have "exempt" status.
                          Right.

But in the class action lawsuit I spoke of earlier, we were improperly designated as exempt for our job. I have no idea who deems one job exempt and one job non-exempt.

Comment

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
                            Right.

But in the class action lawsuit I spoke of earlier, we were improperly designated as exempt for our job. I have no idea who deems one job exempt and one job non-exempt.
                            There are 1001 exemptions...think this is the high level that covers IT pros... (I've always tended to reference TWC)

They are not treated as hourly employees, i.e., the emphasis is not on the exact number of hours they work, but rather on whether they are completing their projects or managing their departments properly.
                            An employer hiring exempt employees is basically buying "results", whether the result is a better-run company, projects being managed to completion on time, departments being efficiently managed, or professional tasks that can only be performed by the holder of a special license; an employer hires non-exempt employees for the time they will be expected to put in carrying out specific instructions in predetermined sequences that have been designed by exempt employees.
                            Professional-exempt employees are either people in recognized professions (usually, professions for which a basic or advanced college degree and a license or certificate from the state are required) or else people who perform creative and original work in the areas of writing, art, music, and other traditional arts.
                            Exempt computer professionals are the very top information technology employees in an organization; merely being good at using computers to get a job done is not enough for inclusion in this category.
                            Ultimately with all the exemptions out there, it is too easy for employers to make almost anyone salary with OT exemption. Again though, up to the employees to decide if they want to accept the gig or not.

Comment

Man, if I got overtime pay........

Comment

Working...
                              X