db meter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• db meter

I am looking at getting a db meter for under $50, does anyone have any experience with these?
    Interested in being a VIP member and donating to the site? Click here http://dfwmustangs.net/forums/payments.php

I just used an app on my phone.
    "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
      I just used an app on my phone.
      yeah that works pretty darn good under 100db, I guess the phone mics clip around that and don't work, it looks like I need up to 120db or so.
      Interested in being a VIP member and donating to the site? Click here http://dfwmustangs.net/forums/payments.php

Comment

Baron has got the munchies for your bass!

god bless.
        It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

I just look for Affliction shirts to save the $50.

Comment

Originally posted by SVT Lurch View Post
            I just look for Affliction shirts to save the $50.
            There it is.

Comment

Those are cheap A weighted meters with marginal accuracy and not good for measuring peak response. OK if you're interested in measuring low SPL, but otherwise avoid.

I use a calibrated Radio Shack 33-2055. It has A and C Weighted filters with Fast/Slow response settings. There are are correction tables & REW correction files readily available on any A/V forum to get even more precise measurements. However, you're going to want a C weighted meter to accurately measure high SPL. Right out of the box it's tough to beat for accuracy in its price range.

My first meter was a Scosche that was similar in price to the model you're looking at. I had no idea how inaccurate it was until I got the RS meter and started using REW. Depending on the frequency, it was as inaccurate as much as -9 dB

You don't need a lab grade meter, but you want to spend more than $18.
              Last edited by LS1Goat; 05-04-2016, 04:11 PM.

Comment

A +1 here for the Radio Shack meter. I've used one for years at gigs. It's taken a beating and is still going like a champ.
                "You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating Fruit Loops on your front porch"

Comment

I'm needing one in the 145-180 range and they all start at 500.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by FunFordCobra View Post
                    I'm needing one in the 145-180 range and they all start at 500.
                    What the heck are you metering that makes anywhere near 180db?

Comment

Well really just 150-160db but they all pretty much do 180 for spl reasons.
                      This setup is should SPL @ around low 151-153db. I have two more 18s with another 5000w that I'm waiting on electrical deals for. Two more mechman alts with the proper electrical is about as much as the woofers and amps..
                      Last edited by FunFordCobra; 05-05-2016, 05:22 AM.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by FunFordCobra View Post
                        Well really just 150-160db but they all pretty much do 180 for spl reasons.
                        This setup is should SPL @ around low 151-153db. I have two more 18s with another 5000w that I'm waiting on electrical deals for. Two more mechman alts with the proper electrical is about as much as the woofers and amps..
                        Cool! I like Mechman stuff. I have their 370 amp alternator in my F250 with the digital regulator in the cab.

Comment

I am working on getting a Radio Shack meter, if that falls through, looks like this one is C weighted.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Triplett-SoniChek-TSC-MC1-Digital-Automatic/dp/B003YHI85K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1462456694&sr=8-1&keywords=c+weighted+db[/ame]

Comment

Thanks man! Mechman is so far the best out of all the brands I've used and stand up to torture. I need 3 and I have one only.. they are 700 each lol. I also have the 370 and it does rated as most dont. 260a idle, 370 @ 1200.
                            I've heard great things about Ohio generator too but have never seen one.
                            sigpic

Comment

Do you use the logging versions of these to map frequency response?

Comment

Working...
                              X