Dallas drive-in burger luminary Jack Keller dies at age 88

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dallas drive-in burger luminary Jack Keller dies at age 88

I wish I had to chance to see this place in it's prime...

Jack Keller, the folksy, tireless founder of Dallas 1950s’-style institution Keller’s Drive-In, has died. He was 88.

The burger pioneer passed early Tuesday morning, one day after being diagnosed with Stage 4 cancer of the liver, his son Jack Keller Jr. said.

“I’m devastated,” Keller Jr. said. “He was my hero. He was the smartest, coolest guy I ever met.”

Last year, the Northwest Highway location of the classic burger joint – known for its no-frills food and service, in-car dining and long-tenured employees – celebrated its 50th anniversary.

The location, one of three, is a frequent meeting place for car clubs, motorcyclists and others who’ve patronized the fast-food landmark over the years. With its metal awnings and sprawling layout, it looks much the same way it did a half-century ago, like something out of American Graffiti.

“The secret of this business,” Keller said last year, “is a good, consistent product, year in and year out, at a reasonable price.”

The drive-in’s most popular order is the No. 5, a double-patty burger hunkered on a poppy-seed bun. Keller himself enjoyed a burger several times a week.

“If you get a burger and get everything in there — meat, bread, produce, seasonings — and get it dressed the way you want to, that’s pretty good eatin,’” he said.

As a kid, Keller worked at Kirby’s Pig Stand, which became, according to The History Channel, the nation’s first drive-in restaurant empire. After a brief stint at a $1.35-an-hour auto plant job, the young Keller set his sights on land near Tenison Park Golf Course on Samuell Boulevard.

He opened his first location in 1950. In the years since, Keller’s earned local and national acclaim, including nods from late burger guru Josh Ozersky as having one of the top 10 burgers in the U.S. and from Thrillist as one of the country’s 11 best drive-ins.

Its disparate cross-section of regulars left even Keller stymied as to its makeup.

“Some people ask me, ‘What’s your customer base?’” he said last year. “I really couldn’t tell you. People who like hamburgers, I guess.”

Among his regulars were four women – including a pair of sisters, both former Dallas Cowboy cheerleaders – who called themselves “the Keller Girls” and who despite their geographic distance have made periodic lunch visits as a group for six years running.

Tuesday night, a handful of customers sat in their cars or near their motorcycles under the drive-in’s familiar neon sign on Northwest Highway. They remembered a hands-on owner who often drove in and parked at the lot’s far end to keep an eye on things.

“He’d sneak in all the time,” said Dan Padgett of Dallas, who is among the bikers who made Keller’s their temporary home. “He’d sit there, incognito.”

But he looked after his customers and staff as much as he did his business.

“They helped me so much,” said Amanda Eastep, a server at the drive-in since 2009, referring to Keller and his wife. “Any time the girls had issues or needed to take a day off, he would be very understanding. He was just an awesome man to work for.”

Keller loved his enterprise and regularly drove his gray Lexus around town to check on things at all three Dallas locations.

“He’d show a guy how to wrap a sandwich correctly, all of that,” his son said.

But by early this year, as health issues set in, Keller had a harder time making the rounds himself, so Keller Jr. drove him. He made his last rounds in mid-March.

“That was the longest he’d ever been away from work, when he was in the hospital,” Keller Jr. said.

Despite a series of hospitalizations, Keller Jr. said, his father maintained his signature wit. He celebrated his 88th birthday in the hospital.

Then doctors performed a biopsy and discovered late-stage cancer. Keller lived just one more day.

Keller Jr. said the all the Keller’s locations will likely close on the day of his father’s services, which have yet to be scheduled.

Last year, the elder Keller pondered his long-lasting success in a highly competitive industry.

“I guess if you work at something and you don’t get any bad breaks and you’re lucky, it’ll go on,” he said. “And as long as it’s fun, you try to do it.”

I was about to post this.

We dropped by Kellers on Northwest highway about 6 weeks ago. I hadn't been in years and it was still EXACTLY the same with bikers, greasy burgers, nice classic vehicles here and there. It was still glorious.

Stay hard Jack!

Comment

Rip.. He had some great burgers!
      "PSH!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
        I was about to post this.

We dropped by Kellers on Northwest highway about 6 weeks ago. I hadn't been in years and it was still EXACTLY the same with bikers, greasy burgers, nice classic vehicles here and there. It was still glorious.

Stay hard Jack!
        What time of day was this? I've been a few times during lunch and don't see anything more than the average guy grabbing lunch.

Comment

The one on Harryhines was off the hook in the mid 80s, the street races were close by, the bikers would buy you cases of beer there and have their bitches fuck and suck you, you could shoot dice with pimps and gander at the ho's while doing it. Not to mention all of the various illegal trafficking in fun toys that went on there.
          Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeG. View Post
            What time of day was this? I've been a few times during lunch and don't see anything more than the average guy grabbing lunch.
            9-10pm Friday or Saturday night

Comment

Originally posted by svo855 View Post
              The one on Harryhines was off the hook in the mid 80s, the street races were close by, the bikers would buy you cases of beer there and have their bitches fuck and suck you, you could shoot dice with pimps and gander at the ho's while doing it. Not to mention all of the various illegal trafficking in fun toys that went on there.
              This is a man who's seen it all!! Lol
              "PSH!!!"

Comment

I've had some great times there over the years. Hopefully, nothing will change. That place is an institution.
                "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
                  This is a man who's seen it all!! Lol
                  When it comes to Svo, it actually does suck itself.

Comment

I use to go there with the buddies at lunch time in the late 60's when I worked at LTV Electrosystems (Raytheon now). It probably hasn't changed much since then. i liked the big juicy burgers!

The article also talks about The Pig Stand. Boy, did they have some good malts and shakes....at that time, the best in Dallas!
                    Last edited by RWhite; 05-04-2016, 11:08 AM.
                    Mustangs previously owned:
                    1967 Coupe V8 (My first car)
                    1992 LX AOD
                    1993 LX Drag Car
                    1995 GTS
                    1997 Cobra
                    2000 Cobra R

2002 Corvette C5 A4 10.64@ 127.1
                    Undercover SC Dragster 8.10's

In the garage now....
                    2016 Honda Accord Touring
                    2015 F-150 Silver 5.0 XLT SuperCrew, like new condition

Retired 2008 after 41 years as an EE at LTV (Garland)/TI/Raytheon. Enjoying ham radio now.

Comment

If I remember correctly, they only took cash for the longest time.

Comment

RIP Jack, I've been going since I was a kid. I actually preferred Prince Hamburgers on Lemmon, but once they closed Kellers has been the go to place...
                        Originally posted by Silverback
                        Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
                          If I remember correctly, they only took cash for the longest time.
                          It was still cash only the last time I went. They have an ATM service there, but it'll cost you.

Comment

My favorite is a #3 with tots and a Coke. Lord only knows how many 100's of times I've ordered that over the last 25+ years.

RIP Jack!

Comment

The patty melt is the shit too!

Comment

Working...
                              X