3 weeks notice or 2 weeks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jluv View Post
    Exactly. I would think anything promised in writing would have to be honored. But, barring that, they don't have to pay accrued PTO.
    If you didn't get it writing up front, you failed... DFWM Baller status revoked.

That said, I get it in my offer letter that accrued will be paid.
    Originally posted by stevo
    Not a good idea to go Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor on the power phallus.

Stevo

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
      There are some industries that it's important to keep customer base, security, etc. and they dont want you to stay after you tell them your intentions. I could fuck up shit from my desk that would take months to clean up.
      Understood. My last job was the same way. Had to obtain security clearance and could have wreaked havoc. Still got my vacation time and they did not want me to leave.

Comment

Originally posted by Kart21 View Post
        In Texas they must pay you for your PTO if its earned.
        Now that I think about it ...It was in writing... never thought about it.

Comment

Why not give it as you're walking out the door to go on vacation?

Comment

Originally posted by SS Junk View Post
            Your industry sucks.
            Not really. It allows me to work remotely from home in the mountains full time and earn pretty good money with zero college. Lots of sales organizations with client databases have similar policies. For what they pay me, I really don't care if I lose a little PTO someday.

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
            There are some industries that it's important to keep customer base, security, etc. and they dont want you to stay after you tell them your intentions. I could fuck up shit from my desk that would take months to clean up.
            Exactly this. They also don't want people who aren't 100% engaged. More than anything, they want to do whatever they can to lessen the chance that someone would steal leads/contacts.

Originally posted by bird_dog0347 View Post
            If you didn't get it writing up front, you failed... DFWM Baller status revoked.
            In reality, it's not an option. It's a take it or leave it type thing. You're lucky to get the job, and if you ask for extra shit, they move on to someone else. In the end, it's all still well worth it.

Comment

has there ever been a time when someone was transitioning from one job to another and the next employer says "OMG, we can't hire you because at this job you left w/o two weeks notice"?

in Texas, they have the right to let you go today
              you have the same right to let them go today

the only thing two-weeks notice does is maintain good relations if you plan on using your current employer as a reference.
              by the time you get to the next job after the new job you are starting, you probably won't need contacts from this current job as a reference.

so to real question may be, how bad do you want them as a reference in the future?

Comment

You don't have to give notice at all, though most do as not to burn any bridges, for references and such. Being that your boss is a hardass, I'd give notice as soon as you get back, and expect that he'll fire you.

I'm not as baller as Cruz, I only got $45k to stay.

Comment

Originally posted by abecx View Post
                  I quit for $50k more, they countered with $60k more, I countered with $60k and a 20% bonus instead of a 10%. I still work for that company 2+ years later. I dont think they will replace me anytime soon. I have to goto swtizerland in June for another meeting. Just depends on how valuable you really are.
                  Like I said, worked out for some. Mad props to you on yours, for certain.
                  "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

Originally posted by Big A View Post
                    You don't have to give notice at all, though most do as not to burn any bridges, for references and such. Being that your boss is a hardass, I'd give notice as soon as you get back, and expect that he'll fire you.

I'm not as baller as Cruz, I only got $45k to stay.
                    Appreciate the suggestions, and this is most likely what I am doing.

When I return from my first vacation on the 31st, I am going to take the high road and give a 3 weeks notice (that includes a 1 week vacation already approved)

If they can me on the spot, no big deal, PTO will be paid out (1.5 weeks worth) plus my "lagged" paycheck, which should get me to my start date with my new job.

The only reason I don't walk out with no notice, is its in our employee handbook you are not eligible for re-hire if you do not give a 2 weeks notice. And I have had previous employers called and asked if I am eligible for rehire.

Even if I am kicked to the curb, I have satisfied this requirement and will have no bad marks against my file.

Comment

Originally posted by Kart21 View Post
                      In Texas they must pay you for your PTO if its earned.
                      Originally posted by bird_dog0347 View Post
                      if it's accrued PTO, they have to pay that no matter what...
                      Wrong. Dead wrong.

Originally posted by jluv View Post
                      This just simply is not true. I don't know where you guys are getting the bad info.
                      As was later mentioned, it would have to be in writing for TWC to force an employer to pay out PTO when an employee leaves. The concept of "accrued PTO" is almost always a union thing, and they usually have very their own specific termination policies.

Originally posted by quikag View Post
                      We will pay PTO if they leave on good terms with notice and are a good employee. Otherwise, if you don't give notice and/or suck, we are not legally obligated to pay out PTO.
                      This. A lot of companies will pay out PTO even if they don't have to. It's payout of an earned benefit. But it's not mandatory.
                      When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

Working...
                      X