Thinking about picking up an 02 grand Cherokee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking about picking up an 02 grand Cherokee

Anything to look for? Low mileage, 4.0, 2wd. I need a family size vehicle, the cobra is a pain for 2 little ones and my truck is regular cab. Found it for a good price.

CN

Great trucks. When the fan relay goes, just convert it to a mechanical fan and be done with it. Window regulators go out, but they are easy and not that expensive. 200-300k mile vehicle easily if you take take of it.

Comment

Originally posted by CyaNide View Post
      Anything to look for? Low mileage, 4.0, 2wd. I need a family size vehicle, the cobra is a pain for 2 little ones and my truck is regular cab. Found it for a good price.

CN
      One of my co-workers has one. The power from that 6 cylinder really surprised me.
      sigpic
      "Lookin' back in front of me in the mirror's a grin,
      through eyes of love I see I'm really lookin' at a friend
      We've all had our problems that's the way life is,
      my heart goes out to others who are there to make amends".

Comment

Only 70k on it and super clean engine. Only thing I was told was not right was the drivers power seat acts up sometimes.

CN

Comment

Had one on my lot, gave me nothing but issues. My experience isn't the norm though, the majority of them with the 4.0L are fine. Avoid the 4.7L like the plague.

Comment

My daughter has had one (01 2wd 4.0 GC Laredo) going on 7yrs. We have had to replace window regulator and taillight housings but other than that is been a great car. We bought with 52k on it and it is in the mid 150k range now and still runs strong

Comment

My daughter has a 1999 Jeep Cherokee sport which is a similar vehicle to the Grand Cherokee with less fancy stuff. We bought it well used with 147,000 miles and it's now got 215,000 miles and is still running strong. It will lay rubber if you get on it from a dead stop.

Life with a jeep means dealing with annoying, weird electrical issues, incessant oil leaks, and 19-20 mpg. The good news is that the 4.0 runs forever if you take care of oil changes. The coil on plug design started in 2000 and I have heard that those heads crack more than the 1999 and earlier ones. A friend of mine has owned several Cherokees and he's had transmission issues with them so keep on top of fluid and filter changes.

I think that those old Jeeps with the 4.0 are far better than what Jeep makes today.

Comment

I have a 03 V8 limited all wheel drive. 340k on the original engine and trans. I just changed the oil regularly.

Comment

As stated stay away from V8s and if you get 4wd swap the t case so you can deactivate the Awd.

Comment

My experience is that they are the number one car other than a trailblazer with electrical issues. I see more taillights out and odd brake light changes than any other vehicle. Granted this is my experience from being at work. Idk with the issue is but they are by far the worst with tail/brake lights... Silly issue I know, but annoying as hell.

Comment

Originally posted by Tannerm View Post
                      My experience is that they are the number one car other than a trailblazer with electrical issues. I see more taillights out and odd brake light changes than any other vehicle. Granted this is my experience from being at work. Idk with the issue is but they are by far the worst with tail/brake lights... Silly issue I know, but annoying as hell.
                      Agree- that stupid socket bulb design is the worst

Comment

I haven't done any research on this, but is there any fix to the issue without just replacing and having to do it again down the road. Is it a connector and socket design? I would find something else to replace it with and bypass factory problems.

CN

Comment

I haven't done any research on this, but is there any fix to the issue without just replacing and having to do it again down the road. Is it a connector and socket design? I would find something else to replace it with and bypass factory problems.

CN
                          I wonder is there is some aftermarket design that is better?? I have replaced numerous sockets and 2 taillight assemblies in 7 years

Comment

I drove it today and was not very impressed. The engine was very underpowered. The ride was not very smooth. It was in great shape interior and exterior wise. So I will continue my search for a family ride.

CN

Comment

I drove it today and was not very impressed. The engine was very underpowered. The ride was not very smooth. It was in great shape interior and exterior wise. So I will continue my search for a family ride.

CN
                              No, the ride isn't very smooth at all. Not sure what you're looking for, but my sister is about to have a 1995 lincoln towncar for sale. In decent shape inside and out.

Comment

Working...
                              X