Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How does one go about getting DoD/top secret clearance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How does one go about getting DoD/top secret clearance?

Looking at some job postings and I see mentions of various clearances required. I realize joe blow off the street (except svo855 of course who was born with the clearance.) probably cannot request it for themselves. I was just curious what it involves, how long it takes, easiest way to go about gaining it (just short of joining the military.)

You cannot obtain a security clearance for yourself. Your current or prospective employer has to do this for you. Since the process is costly and time-consuming, organizations won’t do it unless it’s absolutely essential.

Comment

I guess it didn't occur to me the cost of getting it. I imagine having it is a huge asset though, right?

Comment

SVO grants the clearance

Comment

I got mine back in the 80's while working overseas for Lockheed, but let it lapse. Apparently, Homeland handles security clearance requests now and I understand the vetting process takes quite a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by SonicblueGT03 View Post
            I got mine back in the 80's while working overseas for Lockheed, but let it lapse. Apparently, Homeland handles security clearance requests now and I understand the vetting process takes quite a long time.
            How does one "let" it lapse? If you have one, is there anything you can do to maintain it or is it something only an employer can sign off on?

Comment

Originally posted by Frank View Post
              Looking at some job postings and I see mentions of various clearances required. I realize joe blow off the street (except svo855 of course who was born with the clearance.) probably cannot request it for themselves. I was just curious what it involves, how long it takes, easiest way to go about gaining it (just short of joining the military.)
              You have to pay me a onetime fee of what ever I want and think you can afford.

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
              SVO grants the clearance
              True story.
              Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

I guess it didn't occur to me the cost of getting it. I imagine having it is a huge asset though, right?
                Yes, having a security clearance of any sort would be a great asset both to you and your employer/potential employer.

According to John Wojcik, manager of security and safety for a Department of Defense contractor, it can take up to two years to obtain a security clearance due to the high number of background checks already in progress. The process varies by federal agency and is constantly being tweaked based on current threats. Here is how it generally works:

1) Applicants must go through the application phase, which involves verification of US citizenship, fingerprinting and completion of the Personnel Security Questionnaire (SF-86).

2) The Defense Security Service conducts thorough background checks.

3) Last is the adjudication phase, during which findings from the investigation are reviewed and evaluated based on 13 factors determined by the Department of Defense. Examples of these factors include criminal and personal conduct, substance abuse and any mental disorders.

4) Clearance is granted or denied when this part of the process has been completed.

Comment

How does one "let" it lapse? If you have one, is there anything you can do to maintain it or is it something only an employer can sign off on?
                  They automatically exlire after 5 or 10 years and usually the employer would renew it, or handle the process and cost. My clearance expired after I left the Air Force and I was jot employed in a job where it was required. I do not believe and individual can pay for a renewal as the process to renew is about the same as first getting it, at least that is what was explained to me years ago. I have no idea if it is true and had no desire to find out when mine did expire.
                  I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

You have to reapply every 10 years. Secret is easy, clean record and good credit, top secret not so much. The FBI, Homeland or who ever does it now, will be knocking on the doors of all the people you put down as a reference. Then they'll ask those people for references and go knock on their doors and so on. Ive known guys with TS and they have gone all the way back to their elementary school teachers and childhood friends.

And yes, i believe the only way to maintain one is to work for an employer that require it because they have to apply for it for you.
                    You remember the stories John use to tell us about the the three chinamen playing Fantan? This guy runs up to them and says, "Hey, the world's coming to an end!" and the first one says, "Well, I best go to the mission and pray," and the second one says, "Well, hell, I'm gonna go and buy me a case of Mezcal and six whores," and the third one says "Well, I'm gonna finish the game." I shall finish the game, Doc.

Comment

A SECRET is good for 10 years from the date your final is granted. If at the 10 year mark you are not in a position of Need To Know and don't have your clearance active it will no longer be eligible to be caged by any facilities clearance holder. Thus your clearance has lapsed.

Lots of people have a positive adjudication in JPAS for a clearance but it is listed as inactive if it is not caged by the facilities clearance holder (employer, sponsor, etc). I have worked with tons of former military who HAD an active clearance in the military and still had time before it expires but could not access SECRET because they didn't have a need to know in their current job with us. We had to make sure that they understood that they still could not access with causing NISPOM problems for us/them.

I was lucky. Mine went active first back in 2009 before they got crazy with the background checks. Since then I have worked a job that didn't have a facilities clearance so it was just dormant. When I took a new job they just go into JPAS and cage it under their information and I am good to go again.

There isn't a special secret decoder ring either that they hand out. When you get your final notice that you have been granted a clearance it is usually just an email to visit your industrial security team to be read on. I literally had a guy walk in, "I'm here to get my clearance".

Anytime you have to access or be granted permission into a classified area, they should verify your clearance level in JPAS. Simply log on, punch in your social and name and it tells them everything about your level right there

Getting a TS is rather lengthy deal on top of the SECRET and 10s of thousands of dollars last I heard. At least it is all done on line now through the eQuip service vs the paper SF86 process.

Best way to get a clearance is to get a job a level down with a company and work your way up into the billet that requires it. Same with going up to a TS.

In the 20,000 employees we had in Afghanistan, less than 300 had an active SECRET and no TS. In fact in all my time in Afg I never once saw any TS caveat covers or areas. Everything was SECRET or lower.
                      Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

The guys above have had it so they know more than me...but about 8 years ago I was on a military base in Virginia installing video conferencing equipment. The IT contractors working there were working with us and they had to have a security clearance. He said it cost his company $10k/employee. He said its pretty hardcore. The FBI or some other government organization went out to his neighborhood and started asking family and neighbors about him.

Comment

Originally posted by 8mpg View Post
                          The guys above have had it so they know more than me...but about 8 years ago I was on a military base in Virginia installing video conferencing equipment. The IT contractors working there were working with us and they had to have a security clearance. He said it cost his company $10k/employee. He said its pretty hardcore. The FBI or some other government organization went out to his neighborhood and started asking family and neighbors about him.
                          a couple suits showed up while I was at work asking about my brother when he got his TS.
                          "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

If you have to ask...

Comment

Just make sure you tell the truth about everything. You may feel really dirty afterwards, but just know they've heard it all. A former co-worker of mine, who had been employed at my last job for about a year had his denied because he didn't tell the entire truth about something and was let go.

Comment

Working...
                              X