Saginaw Power Steering Pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saginaw Power Steering Pump

Headed to the JY tomorrow for a few things and one thing is power steering pump for the rack and pinion conversion on my Torino. I already have an aftermarket bracket that uses a Saginaw pump with a stud on the back. What's the best car to find this on? Did different years have different pressure? The rack is supposed to work with 800 - 1200 psi.
    1971 Ford Torino - Time to go bigger and better.

2011 F150 Limited - Stock with a 6.2

You can get a brand new one for under $80. Do not try to save money by getting a used one.
    Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Really? I was seeing 100+ for different pumps.

But really either way, new or used, I need to know what pump to get.

Plus a used pump will come with a pulley and I can grab the hose end for my new hoses.

Were any offered with a serpentine pulley?

Comment

Originally posted by Torinoman View Post
        Really? I was seeing 100+ for different pumps.

But really either way, new or used, I need to know what pump to get.

Plus a used pump will come with a pulley and I can grab the hose end for my new hoses.

Were any offered with a serpentine pulley?
        Many came with a serpentine pulley. If I recall correctly there were a few different generations of saginaw pumps and they differed in how the pulley was attached. Some just pressed on, some were held on with a nut and some were pressed on and there was a woodruff key on the shaft. I am not sure which one to tell you to get though; sorry. My statement of under $80 was Rockauto prices.
        Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

I'm really more concerned about line pressures but I found a place online that sells pistons that limit pressure to 800psi. For 20bucks at pick n pull I'll just grab a pump with a pulley and take my chances I guess.
          Last edited by Torinoman; 04-22-2016, 10:20 PM.

Comment

I just remembered that there is a Saginaw pump that has a remote reservoir that is the model used most often for power steering systems on dirt track cars and aftermarket PS kits.

Comment

Are you thinking of the type II pumps?

Comment

Originally posted by Torinoman View Post
                Are you thinking of the type II pumps?
                I think so but things are a little fuzzy for me at the moment. Been up too long and ingesting too much caffeine today will not let me go to sleep.

Comment

Didn't end up getting one. They only had trucks with press on pulleys which made removing the pump a pain in the ass. It was way more trouble than it was worth.

Guess I'll just buy a new one

Comment

Working...
                  X