Dealing with insurance on totaled car totally sucks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CJ-95GT View Post
    I would think the replacement value calculation is pretty standard. Keep in mind it's a wrecked used car and not just a used car.
    The wrecked condition should play no part in value. What gives you the idea it would?
    QuestionableContent-Awesome Webcomic

Comment

They should compensate you to replace your vehicle. That is where the comparable values come in to play. Essentially, their driver totaled your car, they need to pay to replace it. So, if current market value for your vehicle is more than what ever value they place on it, they need to raise their offer to current market conditions to purchase a vehicle in similar condition to what was totaled.
      Originally posted by Leah
      Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

Originally posted by Jewrrick View Post
        The wrecked condition should play no part in value. What gives you the idea it would?
        It doesn't. So is KBB a good indicator of CMV?

Comment

It doesn't. So is KBB a good indicator of CMV?
          Sometimes but I don't rely on it. Get on Autotrader and look at what other vehicles in the area with similar miles and features are selling for. That is the cost to replace the total loss.
          QuestionableContent-Awesome Webcomic

Comment

I had a similar problem many years ago.

I put together a packet with several comparable local vehicles ( descriptions, sources, pricing, location, ect. ) and even a formula that equalized value by options and several signatures and cards from local dealers (I was working in auto sales at the time).

The company bumped the payout several thousand with no protest after that.

Comment

I would think the replacement value calculation is pretty standard. Keep in mind it's a wrecked used car and not just a used car.
              That's ridiculous. The reason it's a wrecked used car is b/c of their insured idiot. Had he not been on the road it would still be a perfectly good used car.

Comment

Originally posted by Jewrrick View Post
                I had to argue with Geico about the market value of my hail totaled truck but that's mainly because I planned on keeping it. It was worth $200 for 5 minutes of arguing.

I'd print off ads from local car dealers selling a like year/model with similar mileage. Carmax and truecar.com work pretty well. They need to pay fair market value pre collision, unless you plan on keeping the car then it'd be FMV - scrap value.

Comment

Originally posted by BP View Post
                  I had to argue with Geico about the market value of my hail totaled truck but that's mainly because I planned on keeping it. It was worth $200 for 5 minutes of arguing.

I'd print off ads from local car dealers selling a like year/model with similar mileage. Carmax and truecar.com work pretty well. They need to pay fair market value pre collision, unless you plan on keeping the car then it'd be FMV - scrap value.
                  This is what I did when my Ranger got hit by a semi. The guy's insurance didn't even want to cover what I owed on it and my attorney said "Yep, that's on you." It took 20 minutes and some emails with links to trucks similar to mine with links to the upgrades I had done before I had enough for payoff and a bit for my pocket.
                  I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

I wonder if the insurance carrier you're referring to is using CCC One (formerly known as CCC Valuescope), they have been in several disputes with unfair claim practices compensation to people with total loss vehicle payouts, even class action lawsuits.

I would as Jimbo stated, do some homework on your end. Start by putting together a list of 3-5 comparable local vehicles (50 minimum mile radius from your zipcode). Make sure to note descriptions, sources, pricing, location, year/make/model/mileage/trim package options etc. Fair market value should be enough to put your mom back in the same type of vehicle.

I would get all of this together first and calling the total loss adjuster to compare their market evaluation report. Have them send you the report so you can better compare by looking at every single option and disputing any and every single difference you find. It appears from what I've seen they go with the base vehicle value. Also, make sure they are including the proper vehicular sales tax.
                    Allstate Insurance
                    Dominguez Agency
                    1101 E. Bardin Rd. suite 141
                    Arlington, TX. 76018
                    817-405-2011
                    tdominguez@allstate.com
                    Give us a call so we can take a look at your insurance needs, we may be able to save you $$!!

Comment

Originally posted by FastFox View Post
                      Tell them she is having double vision and headaches. Every time she turns her head she passes out. Bet that gets someone's attention.
                      My father tried this approach and they said...Alright it's handled by a different department, let me transfer you over lol

BTW: Whenever they offered him his settlement paperwork, they also provided 10 local comparables(mostly current ads in autotrader) of the same like, make, model, and mileage. I told him...good luck as I thought it was a very generous offer
                      Last edited by stangin4lyfe; 04-19-2016, 10:28 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X