Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does this seem wrong? Insurance wants two deductibles paid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does this seem wrong? Insurance wants two deductibles paid?

I know someone who's house had damage to their roof from storms. The insurance company agreed to pay for the damage (new roof) but they still need to pay the deductible before the repairs could be made.

Since then and before it was repaired from the last storm, they were hit with this hail storm that punched holes all over the roof. The insurance company will not cover this claim without yet another deductible paid because it is a separate claim. They want the deductible paid for the first claim and the 2nd before they will do the work. It would seem to me the first claim would basically be null. WTH?

If anything, the client's delay is saving the insurance money since they only have to do the roof once. How is this even legal? Do they have any recourse?

I know several people that are going through the same thing.
    My thought was they havent honored the first one, why not start a new one ?

Comment

The insurance didnt cut a check for the first one?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
      2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

Saw this on the news.

If the insurance company has already been out and documented the damage from the first storm, then you'll have to pay a second deductible for any new damage that came from the second storm.

Several insurance companies are saying that if you made a claim after the first storm, but they haven't investigated it yet, and you have new damage from the second storm and have to create a new claim, you will have to pay two deductibles.

State Farm is the only company that has come out and explicitly stated that if damage from the first storm hasn't been evaluated, then they have no way of knowing which storm caused which damage. Therefore a customer in this situation would only pay one deductible.

It's a mess...
        When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

If he first claim was going to replace the roof, and it had not yet been done, why file the second claim? Seems like the homeowner shot themselves in the foot.

I disagree with the insurance company, for the same reason, but you know they are going to do whatever they can to reduce their payout. It's an insurance company, after all. lol

Comment

Two different claims, two different deductibles. Would be no different with your car.

Comment

Could they not negotiate with the insurance and get a check for the difference to make the repairs based off the second inspection? If the repairs from the first storm were never done, then I would think they would almost start over and just pay the difference out with only one deductible being met.

Comment

Completely legal. Not really ethical but it is insurance.

Comment

Originally posted by Chili View Post
                  If he first claim was going to replace the roof, and it had not yet been done, why file the second claim? Seems like the homeowner shot themselves in the foot.

I disagree with the insurance company, for the same reason, but you know they are going to do whatever they can to reduce their payout. It's an insurance company, after all. lol
                  This is exactly what I was thinking. A new roof is a new roof, why file a second claim anyways?
                  I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

Originally posted by LANTIRN View Post
                    This is exactly what I was thinking. A new roof is a new roof, why file a second claim anyways?
                    I think the previous damage was just from wind or light hail damaging some shingles. No leaks, but the roof needed to be replaced nonetheless.

The second storm was all the heavy hail that punch big holes through the decking and collapsed the sheetrock inside the house (at least the garage). This kind of damage of course requires much more immediate remediation so more rain wouldn't collapse the sheetrock elsewhere in the house, hence the reason they called their insurance out to re-evaluate. They never dreamed they would get dinged for yet another deductible.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank View Post
                      This kind of damage of course requires much more immediate remediation so more rain wouldn't collapse the sheetrock elsewhere in the house, hence the reason they called their insurance out to re-evaluate. They never dreamed they would get dinged for yet another deductible.
                      Rules are rules and they are the same for everyone, second claim, second deductible. Pretty simple really, now the second time they will probably not pay for the roof since it was adjusted for the first time, but the other damage, decking, sheet rock panels, etc. will be a separate claim. I know it sucks, but thats the way it is...
                      Originally posted by Silverback
                      Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank View Post
                        I think the previous damage was just from wind or light hail damaging some shingles. No leaks, but the roof needed to be replaced nonetheless.

The second storm was all the heavy hail that punch big holes through the decking and collapsed the sheetrock inside the house (at least the garage). This kind of damage of course requires much more immediate remediation so more rain wouldn't collapse the sheetrock elsewhere in the house, hence the reason they called their insurance out to re-evaluate. They never dreamed they would get dinged for yet another deductible.
                        Ok that makes more sense.
                        I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

two of my neighbors had roofers come out and inspect their roofs after the first little hail storm rolled through, and then almost as soon as the signs went in the yards, the second round came through. I doubt it did any damage either time.
                          "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Have the insurance company cut you a check minus the deductible for the first claim, use that money to cover the deductible for the second claim...

Comment

Originally posted by BMCSean View Post
                              Have the insurance company cut you a check minus the deductible for the first claim, use that money to cover the deductible for the second claim...
                              Seems like a solid win, until they want verification that repairs were completed.

Comment

Working...
                              X