If they were making $15 an hour this wouldn't have happened

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If they were making $15 an hour this wouldn't have happened

A prank caller tricked workers at a Minnesota Burger King into smashing the windows of the restaurant to keep it from exploding, police said Saturday, mirroring similar deceptions at Burger Kings and other fast-food restaurants in other states in recent months.

Police said employees at the restaurant in the Minneapolis suburb of Coon Rapids got the call Friday night from someone claiming to be with the fire department. The caller said the restaurant could explode, so they needed to relieve the pressure. The manager and other employees believed the caller and smashed all the windows on the ground floor.

"Officers arrived and found that the manager and employees of the Burger King were smashing out the windows," Sgt. Rick Boone told the Star Tribune. "The manager explained they'd received a phone call from a male who identified himself as a fireman who said there were dangerous levels of gas in the building and they had to break out all the windows to keep the building from blowing up."

Boone said there was no immediate cost estimate for the damage. The restaurant was boarded up Saturday, and investigators were trying to identify the caller.

Someone placed a similar call to a Burger King in Shawnee, Oklahoma, on Thursday night, claiming there were high levels of carbon monoxide in the building. KFOR-TV in Oklahoma City reported that the window damage there was estimated at $10,000.

"It is a little upsetting that they would try to give the fire department a black eye," Thomas Larman, of the Shawnee Fire Department, told the station. "We would never do anything like that. We're here to serve the public, protect the public."

A similar call to Burger King in Morro Bay, California, about a purported gas leak in early February resulted in $35,000 in damage. Not only did employees smash the windows, but a manager went as far as ramming his car into building. And police in Tucson, Arizona, say several similar prank calls were placed to Jack in the Box restaurants there in early February, fooling workers at one store. A similar incident happened at a Wendy's in Phoenix in late January.

Copyright 2016 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Originally posted by 4EyedTurd View Post

Not only did employees smash the windows, but a manager went as far as ramming his car into building.

Copyright 2016 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Now there is a sharp marble!

Comment

If they find the people who made the calls the restraunt owners should thank them for exposing how stuid their employees were, after hopefully firing the idiots. May have cost $35,000, but probably saved hundrds of thousands in lawsuits and other damages by preventing them from doing stuid shit to food or getting caught selling drugs out of the drive thru. If your employees get outed as being fucking idiots, probably a good idea to thank the guy that outed them.
      I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

Originally posted by LANTIRN View Post
        If they find the people who made the calls the restraunt owners should thank them for exposing how stuid their employees were,
        lmao
        When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

I have to admit, when I was 16 working fast food - whether I thought the manager was right or not - if he/she told me to smash windows, I'd happily execute that directive and do a thorough job. Not often you get the opportunity to bust up large windows like that.

Getting fired afterwards for obeying the manager would be worth it. It's not like it's hard to get another fast food job.
          Originally posted by MR EDD
          U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

i know it's probably not right, but reading this genuinely made my heart happy

Comment

Its happened locally(ish) too. I know of a store in my company that fell for this. Caller said they were from the local FD, that they needed the employee to test the fire supression system. They hung up the phone and pulled the cork. Last i heard it was somewhere around 10k in lost product, cleanup, and loss sales from the store being closed.

And in the eomplyees defense, they arnt all stupid. Well maybe some, i got a few that couldnt fuck themselves out of a wet paper bag. But they just have no life experience, they have no idea or drive to think outside the box.

Comment

Jeez, with as rampant as fake calls are these days, you'd think the BS detector would go off in people's heads.
                "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

Why not just open the doors and go outside?

Comment

My money says that there was no prank call and these fuckers are smoking bath salts. The excuse of a "Prank call" just gives them cover for their actions once they come down.
                    Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Police have released an image of the suspect:
                      "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

Lmao. Not surprised to see the Shawnee, OK store was fooled. Our farm is just SE of Shawnee.
                        Originally posted by BradM
                        But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                        Originally posted by Leah
                        In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Working...
                        X