Where do you get your blasting media?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where do you get your blasting media?

I've got a new project that's way too big to fit in my blast cabinet, so I'm going to have to blast this one outside. I need a lot of blasting media for cheap. Where does everyone get it around here, preferably mansfield area? Ive considered using some masonry or play sand to get the job time after screening it (with respirator of course). Input?
    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

I thought you wanted to hear about my C4 hookup.

Comment

I got 25lbs of glass beads at harbor freight for $20, don't know if that's enough for u tho

Originally posted by DOHCTR
      You sir are the poster child for "Go big or go home"!

Comment

What if you just took it to a powder coating shop? It might just be easier than dealing with all that. Some have blasting cabinets big enough for a car.
        Originally posted by Marisa
        we women are all irrational and emotional and insane...some just hide it better than others.

truth.

Comment

Yep, for a one-time blast, it might make sense to just have someone else do it.

If you're hellbent on doing it yourself, don't use play sand. It's full of moisture which will clog everything up in seconds. Also, silicosis is a real thing so I would avoid any sand-based blast media.

Use a real blasting media like glass. I usually just go to Northern Tool for media. It's ten bucks for a 50lb bag. Seems cheap enough to me and this stuff lasts a while.

A few of my friends use this Black Diamond media and they seem to like it.
          When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

i have bought from these guys for years. starblast is good for small blasters. lay a big tarp down and recycle it .

566 N Beach St, Fort Worth, TX 76111, Phone: 817-654-9181

Comment

Originally posted by 46Tbird View Post

If you're hellbent on doing it yourself, don't use play sand. It's full of moisture which will clog everything up in seconds.

Use a real blasting media like glass. I usually just go to Northern Tool for media. It's ten bucks for a 50lb bag. http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...4633_200644633
              ^^ This... I tried regular play sand several years back and it clogged up like a mofo... HF or Northern Tool are both good options for blast media on the cheapo.

mardyn

Comment

Yep, for a one-time blast, it might make sense to just have someone else do it.

If you're hellbent on doing it yourself, don't use play sand. It's full of moisture which will clog everything up in seconds. Also, silicosis is a real thing so I would avoid any sand-based blast media.

Use a real blasting media like glass. I usually just go to Northern Tool for media. It's ten bucks for a 50lb bag. Seems cheap enough to me and this stuff lasts a while.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...2824_200022824
                That's pretty damn reasonable. I'll probably go this route. I usually use aluminum oxide for rust removal, but it isn't cost effective if cant reclaim it. I've never used this brand glass, does it work okay on light/med rust?
                "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

PF Changs

Comment

I get 5 gallon buckets of fine white sand from around Kaufman, Van Zandt, Henderson counties. East Texas and sift it. Its almost like talc its so fine. Not real aggressive which is fine for softer metals.

May not help you in this case though.

Comment

media blasting shops?

apologies CJ, not meaning to purposefully thread-jack because I was planning on starting tech thread...

but if a person happens to have a set of steel wheels they would like cleaned up for paint but hates using a sand-blaster, are there recommendations for a good shop to have them media blasted?

Comment

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...2824_200022824
                        Originally posted by bubbaearl View Post
                        i have bought from these guys for years. starblast is good for small blasters. lay a big tarp down and recycle it .

http://www.canfieldjoseph.com/ftworth

X2 for these options.

I use all three. Glass for aluminum, Black Diamond in the cabinet for parts and the starblast for the outdoor bigger panels. They leave a nice tooth for refinishing.

In fact, Nick gave me the Black Diamond 12-13 years ago and it is still running strong.

Comment

I buy black diamond over at Tractor Supply...it's about $7 a bag iirc.

I'm actually using it in my aquarium as a base too...works great for that.
                          70' Chevelle RagTop
                          (Forever Under Construction)

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.”- Thomas A Edison

Comment

there is washed and unwashed black diamond. the unwashed is cheap and creates a lot of dust. olivine is the best but thanks to fucking obama it cant be sold to anyone other than a foundry .

Comment

Coal slag

Comment

Working...
                              X