Breaking a lease

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breaking a lease

I want to break my lease due to the tenants down stairs continually smoking marijuana, it seeps into our place and it gets on our clothes. Its bad. Whats worse is since the tenant has moved in, our daughter has been having respiratory issues. They have been here for maybe 2 weeks.

I have made 10 complaints with the office, I have called the police and they smelled it as well the moment they walked into my place, but since the tenant did not answer their door, they couldnt do anything. The leasing office is not handling the situation to my satisfaction what so ever. I am told to continue to wait, but that is simply not possible when the residents are hourly smoking weed causing my place to stink.

This isn't the first issue, the previous tenants also would smoke on their patio and it would fly in through our window and stink our entire place. I had to complain 4 times before that was handled. Our building clearly states no smoking within 20 feet of the building.

There is also no smoking allowed in the common areas ( aka the pool ) and we constantly see people smoking at the pool and bringing glass containers which is also not allowed ruining our visit as we have to be vigilant in watching inebriated people handle glass.

I am at my wits end, the place has decaying dog feces everywhere because it is not pickled up making it impossible for us to play with my daughter in any grassy area.

They want me to provide 60 days notice and also pay until the place is leased. I am not willing to do that and will go to arbitration. The most I would be willing to do would be to stay the rest of this month.

After talking with the manager of the complex, I question their ability. There is absolutely no guarantee that Mansions at Woodbridge will be able to vet the next tenant any better than they have the last 2, and seeing as they cant enforce their own rules as it is without multiple complaints, I doubt it will change.

What would you do? Anyone here every get out of their lease without bullshit?

Oh and just to clarify, I dont give a shit if you smoke cigs or weed, just abide by the rules. I have no angst towards either, but seriously get a vaporizer, its much less disgusting. We pay $1850 to live here which is a lot for Dallas area ( Sachse ), and its more like the Slums at Woodbridge with how some of the tenants are. It sucks because there are also some mature nice people here too.
    Last edited by abecx; 04-04-2016, 03:53 PM.

You need to get out of that area, move to Frisco or something.

Comment

Originally posted by abecx View Post
      I want to break my lease due to the tenants down stairs continually smoking marijuana, it seeps into our place and it gets on our clothes. Its bad. Whats worse is since the tenant has moved in, our daughter has been having respiratory issues. They have been here for maybe 2 weeks.

I have made 10 complaints with the office, I have called the police and they smelled it as well the moment they walked into my place, but since the tenant did not answer their door, they couldnt do anything. The leasing office is not handling the situation to my satisfaction what so ever. I am told to continue to wait, but that is simply not possible when the residents are hourly smoking weed causing my place to stink.

This isn't the first issue, the previous tenants also would smoke on their patio and it would fly in through our window and stink our entire place. I had to complain 4 times before that was handled. Our building clearly states no smoking within 20 feet of the building.

There is also no smoking allowed in the common areas ( aka the pool ) and we constantly see people smoking at the pool and bringing glass containers which is also not allowed ruining our visit as we have to be vigilant in watching inebriated people handle glass.

I am at my wits end, the place has decaying dog feces everywhere because it is not pickled up making it impossible for us to play with my daughter in any grassy area.

They want me to provide 60 days notice and also pay until the place is leased. I am not willing to do that and will go to arbitration. The most I would be willing to do would be to stay the rest of this month.

After talking with the manager of the complex, I question their ability. There is absolutely no guarantee that Mansions at Woodbridge will be able to vet the next tenant any better than they have the last 2, and seeing as they cant enforce their own rules as it is without multiple complaints, I doubt it will change.

What would you do? Anyone here every got out of their lease without bullshit?

Oh and just to clarify, I dont give a shit if you smoke cigs or weed, just abide by the rules. I have no angst towards either, but seriously get a vaporizer, its much less disgusting. We pay $1850 to live here which is a lot for Dallas area ( Sachse ), and its more like the Slums at Woodbridge with how some of the tenants are. It sucks because there are also some mature nice people here too.
      You will not get out of a lease without bullshit, money, lawyer or all 3.

I would recommend contacting the Property Management company at an executive level.

You gave the management plenty of communication of the issue I'm assuming, so it's time to go up the ladder.

Many times it's cheaper to them to let you go without all the BS, and the property manager usually doesn't have the "outside the lines" power you are looking for.

Good Luck

Comment

If you're paying $1850 dollars a month why the fuck are you in an apartment? That could almost be 2 house payments in a half decent part of town.

Comment

Originally posted by ram57ta View Post
          If you're paying $1850 dollars a month why the fuck are you in an apartment? That could almost be 2 house payments in a half decent part of town.
          I was thinking the same thing....

Comment

IF you do move... move somewhere west of where you're at. So that way it's closer to get to you for MySQL workshops

Comment

Originally posted by ram57ta View Post
              I work for myself, you have to put down 20% to be able to get a loan or show 2 years of solvency which its only been a year since I started my own business. As well, we are wanting to spend 350-450k on a home and wanted to wait until after my first year of taxes solo.

Comment

I've got a mother in law room with its own bath you guys can stay in for $1000 a month.

Comment

Originally posted by Gargamel View Post
                  You will not get out of a lease without bullshit, money, lawyer or all 3.

I would recommend contacting the Property Management company at an executive level.

You gave the management plenty of communication of the issue I'm assuming, so it's time to go up the ladder.

Many times it's cheaper to them to let you go without all the BS, and the property manager usually doesn't have the "outside the lines" power you are looking for.

Good Luck
                  They want 2 months and 1580 re-let fee. I don't see how this is fair as they have not been able to meet their own criteria for tenants. I am going to email their corporate and see where that gets me, thanks.

Comment

Do you have documentation of each time you have complained or called the cops?
                    That always helps when corporate has to get involved.

Comment

I know an awesome lender that doesn't need 2 years and also could swing 3.5% down.

Comment

Yeah, i'll be sure to add that.

They informed me today that the tenant is leaving peacefully just did not give me a time frame.

I figured we would get much nicer standard of living for what we paid being that this is an out of the way location and the cost is high. Its a really nice place too, sucks that it only takes a few people to ruin it for everyone else.

Originally posted by Unicorn Jeff View Post
                        I know an awesome lender that doesn't need 2 years and also could swing 3.5% down.
                        We're ok with waiting and the 20% thanks though. I want it to go through my bank.

Comment

Hire an attorney to write a letter, and start the process.

Comment

Originally posted by abecx View Post
                            We pay $1850 to live here which is a lot for Dallas area ( Sachse ), and its more like the Slums at Woodbridge with how some of the tenants are.
                            hope you at least have your own garage for all this

Comment

Working...
                            X