No announcement yet.

SCUBA certification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe this has changed in recent years (doubt it), but scuba diving in Mexico has historically been about a 30 minute course on how not to die, then you jump in.

I was certified way back in college, and if you're just looking for an afternoon of diving, it's quick to learn. It gets complicated when you're talking about diving over the course of consecutive days with nitrogen build up.

Comment

Originally posted by BLAKE View Post
      Maybe this has changed in recent years (doubt it), but scuba diving in Mexico has historically been about a 30 minute course on how not to die, then you jump in.

I was certified way back in college, and if you're just looking for an afternoon of diving, it's quick to learn. It gets complicated when you're talking about diving over the course of consecutive days with nitrogen build up.
      Unless you do crazy deep dives, it's not that bad. Around 100' consistently. But that's why you do safety stops. A good dive computer helps immensely with this. The biggest thing, don't dive and fly on the same day. Just wait 24 hours from your last dive before you fly.
      "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

Originally posted by BLAKE View Post

That's how my "Discover Scuba" course was. Went to some backalley marina in Cozumel, saw a helper with scuba tanks snorting cocaine off the seat of a scooter. Dive master came over, showed us the basics, had us take one breath underwater and then took us into 30 feet of water with dead coral and let us go nuts.

When I actually got certified here in the states, my instructor really wanted us to not die, so he went above and beyond in the certification process. I was 100% comfortable with my training once he was done.

Comment

Working...
        X