SCUBA certification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SCUBA certification

I am heading to Australia in May and spending a few weeks taking in the sights. Until now, I was dead set on just snorkeling the GBR but now I am interested in actually diving. Has this ship sailed as far as timing goes? I don't even know where to start? I am an excellent swimmer but have never gone SCUBA diving.

Provided the classes aren't full, you should be OK. Takes two weekends to get certified. I went to blue sea adventures in Garland.

Comment

sounds fun watch for the great whites....lol

Comment

Originally posted by QIK46 View Post
        sounds fun watch for the great whites....lol
        and sea snakes and a million other things that can kill you. I am legitimately concerned but YOLO.

But, seriously, it does make me nervous but you can't live life by avoiding everything that scares you.

Comment

Originally posted by chronical View Post
          and sea snakes and a million other things that can kill you. I am legitimately concerned but YOLO.

But, seriously, it does make me nervous but you can't live life by avoiding everything that scares you.
          I think the box jelly would be on the top of my list of things to avoid...but since they are the size of a quarter that might be hard to do

Comment

Originally posted by black50 View Post
            I think the box jelly would be on the top of my list of things to avoid...but since they are the size of a quarter that might be hard to do
            I got stung by a jellyfish in Jamaica last year. Still not sure what kind it was, as I never saw the little cock sucker, all I know is that it hurt like a mother fucker. I am sure that at least 4 different resorts heard me screaming and cussing.

That shouldn't apply to the OP though since it's going to be cold there in may and he will need a wetsuit. On the downside, it makes you looks more like a seal.

Comment

Originally posted by JC316 View Post
              I got stung by a jellyfish in Jamaica last year. Still not sure what kind it was, as I never saw the little cock sucker, all I know is that it hurt like a mother fucker. I am sure that at least 4 different resorts heard me screaming and cussing.

That shouldn't apply to the OP though since it's going to be cold there in may and he will need a wetsuit. On the downside, it makes you looks more like a seal.
              Lmao. Well shit.

Comment

Don't worry. It'll be fine.

Originally posted by PGreenCobra
                I can't get over the fact that you get to go live the rest of your life, knowing that someone made a Halloween costume out of you. LMAO!!
                Originally posted by Trip McNeely
                Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy
                dont downshift!!
                Go do a whooly in front of a Peterbilt.

Comment

Your mom!

Comment

Lmao. Well shit.

The jellyfish pain is intense. The initial hit feels like being electrocuted, it's followed up by a burning sensation that is most comparable to bull nettle, but far more extreme. Took roughly 4 hours for the pain to stop.

Went to the bar tender, showed him the welts on my arm, told him that I wanted the strongest drink that he had since I just got hit by a jellyfish. He disappeared behind the bar and came back with something green that no one else was drinking.

Drank an 8oz cup of that shit, 15 minutes later I'm all

It's green.....

As for looking like a seal, the trick is to not taste like one.. Seriously though, 99% of the shark attacks happen due to mistaken identity, so even if you did run into bruce, odds are that you would live to tell the tale. Fast forward to 1:20 in the video.

Last edited by JC316; 04-03-2016, 09:33 PM.

Comment

If you get stung by a jellyfish, pour vinegar straight on it when you're out of the water. Works like a champ. I got stung on my neck diving in Cancun one year and was at the bar for the same reason as JC, but this guy instead said turn around and then poured vinegar on me and the stinging went from painful to manageble/gone.

Jellyfish (Chryaora,) are marine invertebrates. When the tentacles from a jellyfish come into direct contact with skin it causes symptoms of severe stinging pain, redness, raised welts, nausea, vomiting, or even death. The best treatments for jellyfish stings are Benadryl (diphenhydramine), OTC pain medications, topical steroids, and in some cases antibiotics.

FWIW, supposedly, if you see a great white, you challenge it. Meaning, you face it and if necessary be aggressive and swim toward it. They're not used to being chased, and will veer off. Not that I've ever tried it, but what I've heard.

My sister got her certification diving off the Great Barrier Reef when she was an exchange student. She never saw any "dangerous" sharks.
                      "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

If you're gunna worry about all that prissy stuff, don't bother diving. If you want to see the most amazing stuff ever, carry on.

I've dove head first into the path of manta rays, swam with sting rays, skarks, and chased cuddle fish and sharks. The world of diving is amazing and eye opening experience.

If you're not down with that, that's fine. There's zip lining, eating out, and snorkeling. All fun things to do as well. Not being a dick by any means, just, different strokes for different folks.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostTX View Post
                          If you get stung by a jellyfish, pour vinegar straight on it when you're out of the water. Works like a champ. I got stung on my neck diving in Cancun one year and was at the bar for the same reason as JC, but this guy instead said turn around and then poured vinegar on me and the stinging went from painful to manageble/gone.

Jellyfish (Chryaora,) are marine invertebrates. When the tentacles from a jellyfish come into direct contact with skin it causes symptoms of severe stinging pain, redness, raised welts, nausea, vomiting, or even death. The best treatments for jellyfish stings are Benadryl (diphenhydramine), OTC pain medications, topical steroids, and in some cases antibiotics.

FWIW, supposedly, if you see a great white, you challenge it. Meaning, you face it and if necessary be aggressive and swim toward it. They're not used to being chased, and will veer off. Not that I've ever tried it, but what I've heard.

My sister got her certification diving off the Great Barrier Reef when she was an exchange student. She never saw any "dangerous" sharks.
                          Medic came over and got me with vinegar, but I was fairly shitfaced by that point. I remember that the pain did ease up a good amount, probably a combination of what I think was absinthe and the vinegar.

Originally posted by phaux View Post
                          If you're gunna worry about all that prissy stuff, don't bother diving. If you want to see the most amazing stuff ever, carry on.

I've dove head first into the path of manta rays, swam with sting rays, skarks, and chased cuddle fish and sharks. The world of diving is amazing and eye opening experience.

If you're not down with that, that's fine. There's zip lining, eating out, and snorkeling. All fun things to do as well. Not being a dick by any means, just, different strokes for different folks.
                          Oh hell yeah. I won't dive anywhere that great whites are common, but I have been diving in Cozumel and the Cayman islands. It's a truly amazing experience. Yet to see a shark there, but I have seen some pretty good sized barracuda. My favorite thing was chilling with a green sea turtle in cayman, he followed our group for a while.

My dive instructor told me that the number one cause of a leaky mask is coming over a rock and seeing something amazing, your smile will flood your mask every single time.

What's so incredible about it is that the ocean life really isn't afraid of you, not like the animals on land that will pretty much haul ass at the mere sight of a human.

Something else that not many people realize is the number of fresh water sites to dive. Clear Springs, The blue hole, The missile silo, Athens Scuba, Bull Shoals, Tenkiller, Balmorhea, etc. Florida has some awesome spring dives as well.

Comment

I did mine in two days.
                            "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

I'm glad you asked, as this is timely for me. I'm headed to Mexico in September and I'd rather scuba than snorkel. We went to Belize last year and the snorkeling was phenomenal. Just feel like I might have missed something without going deeper and for longer.

When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

Working...
                              X