No announcement yet.

cancelling FIOS....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am doing research on "cutting the cord" this weekend. If I get something like Amazon Fire, plus an antenna for OTA stuff, what what other apps (besides the obvious Netflix) do I need to fill in the gaps with cable programming I happen to like...... like a few of the Discovery Channel shows, Investigation Discovery Channel, and the AHC channel stuff?

First thing I am gonna do Monday is call U-Verse and tell them I am prepared to cancel my service, at least the programming portion, unless they can help me hack off about 50 bucks a month of this bill. 170 a month is a bit steep.

Comment

Originally posted by 93LXHORSE View Post
      I am doing research on "cutting the cord" this weekend. If I get something like Amazon Fire, plus an antenna for OTA stuff, what what other apps (besides the obvious Netflix) do I need to fill in the gaps with cable programming I happen to like...... like a few of the Discovery Channel shows, Investigation Discovery Channel, and the AHC channel stuff?

First thing I am gonna do Monday is call U-Verse and tell them I am prepared to cancel my service, at least the programming portion, unless they can help me hack off about 50 bucks a month of this bill. 170 a month is a bit steep.
      Bcoop will say get a Kodi, or whatever it is called. I say, just stop watching so much stuff! Between OTA and Netflix or Amazon, there are plenty of choices. You won't miss all those shows after a couple weeks anyway. I've cut wau back on wasting time watching TV since we cut the cord, no regrets.

Comment

Aside from the on demand issues, it looks like I lost all of MY REWARDS+ points. Had over 4,000 prior to April 1. Doesn't look like the transition was as smooth and transparent as advertised.

Comment

For those who don't have it, Kodi w/Exodus Add On is awesome.

Pretty much any TV show or movie you can think of is there and free.

You do have to find a good stream from time to time but if your connection rocks it is usually not an issue.

https://www.tvaddons.ag/exodus/

https://kodi.tv/about/

Comment

Originally posted by Gargamel View Post
            For those who don't have it, Kodi w/Exodus Add On is awesome.

Pretty much any TV show or movie you can think of is there and free.

You do have to find a good stream from time to time but if your connection rocks it is usually not an issue.

https://www.tvaddons.ag/exodus/

https://kodi.tv/about/

I'll have to check out Exodus. I have Kodi, but had not heard of Exodus. I mostly use Icefilms, Genesis, and Phoenix.
            Originally posted by BradM
            But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
            Originally posted by Leah
            In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
              I'll have to check out Exodus. I have Kodi, but had not heard of Exodus. I mostly use Icefilms, Genesis, and Phoenix.
              I've been studying up on Kodi a little.. how do you get yours? A purchased box designed for Kodi? Or an HDCP...?

I think first move I'm going to make is see if Uverse wants to help me lower the bill first of all, then start with an Amazon Fire box, and maybe Hulu Plus.... I already have Netflix, then look into Kodi... and when I am comfortable enough, ditch the Uverse completely.

Hell I don't watch enough TV really, I think most of it sucks. Movies and documentaries, and series.... those I like. I like it at my own pace though.

Comment

I've been studying up on Kodi a little.. how do you get yours? A purchased box designed for Kodi? Or an HDCP...?

I think first move I'm going to make is see if Uverse wants to help me lower the bill first of all, then start with an Amazon Fire box, and maybe Hulu Plus.... I already have Netflix, then look into Kodi... and when I am comfortable enough, ditch the Uverse completely.

Hell I don't watch enough TV really, I think most of it sucks. Movies and documentaries, and series.... those I like. I like it at my own pace though.
                I have Kodi installed on my FireTV. It still functions as a FireTV. We still watch the Amazon/Netflix/Hulu through that. It just also has Kodi installed, so we use Kodi for newer movies, new movies/documentaries, and current shows. Current shows pop up the same day or day after they air.

If you buy a FireTV, you cam find a vid on YouTube showing you step by step what to do. Or I can help. If interested I can give you a link to the videos I used. Oh, don't go any lower than a FireTV. The firesticks will give you trouble after a while due to not having much storage space. Updating Kodi can overload them.

Someone who knows way more than I may school me on this, but I see zero added benefit with these $300 streaming players like a StreamSmart, when my FireTV is trouble free for a third of the price. Maybe if you're really computer illiterate it would be worth it. The StreamSmart does have a 2 year warranty and support deal.

Comment

I have Kodi installed on my FireTV. It still functions as a FireTV. We still watch the Amazon/Netflix/Hulu through that. It just also has Kodi installed, so we use Kodi for newer movies, new movies/documentaries, and current shows. Current shows pop up the same day or day after they air.

If you buy a FireTV, you cam find a vid on YouTube showing you step by step what to do. Or I can help. If interested I can give you a link to the videos I used. Oh, don't go any lower than a FireTV. The firesticks will give you trouble after a while due to not having much storage space. Updating Kodi can overload them.

Someone who knows way more than I may school me on this, but I see zero added benefit with these $300 streaming players like a StreamSmart, when my FireTV is trouble free for a third of the price. Maybe if you're really computer illiterate it would be worth it. The StreamSmart does have a 2 year warranty and support deal.
                  AM interested! I will probably pick up an Amazon Fire box real soon. Now.. if I am supporting 2 TVs, is that one box per TV or can I do some tricked out stuff to only use one box? It seems like if it's HDMI out to the TV then it means 2 boxes...

Comment

1channel has been good to me lately on Kodi, fwiw. Would like to switch from running it on my fire stick to something a little more robust eventually, but we just got rid of cable about a week ago.

Comment

AM interested! I will probably pick up an Amazon Fire box real soon. Now.. if I am supporting 2 TVs, is that one box per TV or can I do some tricked out stuff to only use one box? It seems like if it's HDMI out to the TV then it means 2 boxes...
                      You'll need one for each TV. I have sticks in the kids rooms. FireTV in my room, and I'm switching the living room from a stick to a FireTV.

PrimeWire/1 Channel is AWESOME! Earlier in the thread I mistakenly said we use Icefilms a lot. I was wrong, it's PrimeWire. They have most everything we watch, and I experience far less buffering issues there than I do with Genesis/Icefilms/Phoenix

I got Exodus loaded but have not played with it yet.

Comment

There is absolutely nothing wrong with FireTV.
                        From what I've seen it is a cool little setup.

But for the use of a console and what we as a family get from the NVidia Shield, its probably the best $200 I've ever spent.

https://shield.nvidia.com/android-tv

https://shield.nvidia.com/android-tv...roku-vs-firetv

I'm still setting up the PC game "streaming" capability, so I'll have a report on that soon....

Comment

My girlfriend and I both run Kodi on our Windows laptops with HDMI output to our TVs, rather than using Fire TV boxes or sticks. It works great.
                          Originally posted by Broncojohnny
                          HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

Working...
                          X