No announcement yet.

1968-1974 corvette worth anything?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drove back by tonight and noticed a beat to shit Chevy K1500 in the driveway so I knocked again. Fat bastards Native American or Mexican cousin answered the door in his wife beater and camo pants looking like he just ate his wife. I politely told him I worked for the railroad and noticed his car the other day and wanted to know if he had any interest in selling it. He kinda just laughed and said no. I asked what year it was and he said it was a 72 numbers matching LS6. He said the pretty standard "I'm gonna start working on it here shortly".
    He probably said the same thing 20 years ago when it was sitting in the same spot.

Comment

72 would be LS5 only. Still a good one to have. best bet you'd have is to go back with a bag full of cash and make sure the wife sees it. She might pressure him to sell. She probably knows it's been sitting and will continue to sit. You'd have to bring at least 15k.

Comment

Originally posted by MrSS View Post
        72 would be LS5 only. Still a good one to have. best bet you'd have is to go back with a bag full of cash and make sure the wife sees it. She might pressure him to sell. She probably knows it's been sitting and will continue to sit. You'd have to bring at least 15k.
        I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole at 15K. A 1970 LS5 4spd, all original survivor just went on ebay for somewhere around $30K. Assuming the frame and birdcage aren't rusted out, you would have to be under $10k.

Comment

I'd assume from the area it's not rusted. Again I'm assuming. Matching # BBC corvettes aren't getting cheaper.if it really is matching # 454 and 4spd I don't 15k is out of line. But that might be what it takes to really get it. You don't see many around in unmolested condition. I've seen a few SBC cars of the same vintage on CL for the 8-9k range. That look worse and they seem not to last too long. After seeing it in person I'd be comfortable in the 12K range. But I know mechanics/paint/body so that helps.

Comment

I'm not gonna pursue it any further. My Grand National is enough of a project that I don't need another. If the guy had said gimme $500 bucks or something rediculous I would have jumped all over it....but take me at my word...there are a SHIT TON of collectible cars sitting in fields and various places out here in Albuquerque...protected from heavy rust thanks to the extremely dry climate..just waiting to be negotiated. Triple 5 Chevy's, Corvettes, Chevelles, GTO's, Chryslers, Dodge's and Fords....its shocking how many classics I see both driving around here and rotting. I'm guessing its due to the old Route 66 going right thru town. I've already got a fairly nice 56 Bel Air promised to me when that unfortunate day comes in the future from my dad.

Comment

Originally posted by MrSS View Post
              I'd assume from the area it's not rusted. Again I'm assuming. Matching # BBC corvettes aren't getting cheaper.if it really is matching # 454 and 4spd I don't 15k is out of line. But that might be what it takes to really get it. You don't see many around in unmolested condition. I've seen a few SBC cars of the same vintage on CL for the 8-9k range. That look worse and they seem not to last too long. After seeing it in person I'd be comfortable in the 12K range. But I know mechanics/paint/body so that helps.

I just don't see it. 15K as a starting point, nearly all vintage stuff is going to need brakes, interior, gas tank, bushings, and carb rebuild. That combined with paint, I can easily see having 30K in it, which is what they're worth. The car dealer in me just can't let that happen.

Comment

that is a 6500 dollar car. tops. restored it might bring 30k . doing it myself i would make very little . having it done you would loose 25k . vettes are the easiest car to get burned on. very tight market . the c3 is in the rocking chair. 68-69 still bring ok money but the 70-73 are far below. rubber bumper vettes are impossible to deal with at present. just no money in them .

Comment

What the bird cage y'all are referring to?

Comment

Originally posted by 4EyedTurd View Post
                    What the bird cage y'all are referring to?
                    "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Drove mine over to Whataburger for breakfast this morning...

Kinda' dusty cause of all the pollen in the air this week, needs a bath.

mardyn

Comment

I might be driving around in a '78 L82 4 speed anniversary paint scheme car pretty soon myself. I'll probably post a few photos next weekend. This car is an all original survivor with only two non stock items (brake booster updated) and exhaust is now true dual. Any one have 8 tracks?

Comment

Originally posted by mardyn View Post
                          Drove mine over to Whataburger for breakfast this morning...

Kinda' dusty cause of all the pollen in the air this week, needs a bath.

mardyn
                          Time for wheel update. Them '82s ain't cutting it.

Comment

Originally posted by EW View Post
                            Time for wheel update. Them '82s ain't cutting it.

I'm going for the period look.... trying to grow some side burns and gather up some disco clothing as well.

mardyn

Comment

Love taking back roads looking for deals

Comment

Working...
                              X