RC gurus inside

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RC gurus inside

I have a question about charging a lipo battery pack.

The guys at Hobbytown in Dallas recommended charging my 4s 14.8C 3200mAh at a charge rate of 5Amps vs. 3.2amps. School me on what this will do if anything to the battery. 1st charge exceeded the allowable charge time of the charger.

<-gas R/C guy only getting into LiPo for my bump start box for a 1/8th scale Losi buggy. lol Although I'm really tempted to get an electric onroad car to go race at Banana Raceway in Richardson.

No need to rush it unless you are going to miss a race. I always did mine at 1amp per 1000mah, so 3.2 is what I would charge it at. Lots of chargers have timers that you can change the time on. It's just a safety feature

PS. They make starter box motors a beast.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt View Post
      No need to rush it unless you are going to miss a race. I always did mine at 1amp per 1000mah, so 3.2 is what I would charge it at. Lots of chargers have timers that you can change the time on. It's just a safety feature

PS. They make starter box motors a beast.
      My goal with going from dual 7.2v nicads to single 4s LiPo was punch power and duration. The bump box was draining the nicads quickly!

I was thinking the same on the charge rate. I used my minimal electrical experience and charged at a 1 to 1 rate instead of anything more than that to begin with for fear of damaging the battery.

Comment

Originally posted by 2K2 LS1 View Post
        My goal with going from dual 7.2v nicads to single 4s LiPo was punch power and duration. The bump box was draining the nicads quickly!

I was thinking the same on the charge rate. I used my minimal electrical experience and charged at a 1 to 1 rate instead of anything more than that to begin with for fear of damaging the battery.
        my LIPO would last a LOOOOONG time in between charges. Makes sure you get a voltage alarm and put it in your box so you don't drain it too much.

Comment

Most low internal resistance batteries can handle a substantial charge rate. As Matt said, 1amp per 1000mah or 1c is always safe. I personally cant stand babysitting batteries while they charge so I crank my 1k watt charger all the way up, depending on the cell capacity of the pack it can be as high as 10c. I've never damaged a pack. I'm surprised a 5amp charge rate timed out your charger.

I second getting a voltage alarm, completely draining a pack will damage it faster than anything.

Also, if you're new to LiPo, only charge them in an open area away from flammables, they're notorious for catching fire while charging. Lots of people have burned their house down by leaving them charging unattended.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasPyro View Post
            Most low internal resistance batteries can handle a substantial charge rate. As Matt said, 1amp per 1000mah or 1c is always safe. I personally cant stand babysitting batteries while they charge so I crank my 1k watt charger all the way up, depending on the cell capacity of the pack it can be as high as 10c. I've never damaged a pack. I'm surprised a 5amp charge rate timed out your charger.

I second getting a voltage alarm, completely draining a pack will damage it faster than anything.

Also, if you're new to LiPo, only charge them in an open area away from flammables, they're notorious for catching fire while charging. Lots of people have burned their house down by leaving them charging unattended.

Charged at 3.2amps not 5 amps. Like any charger I kept on only acceptable conditions.

Charger is a HiTech multi charger X2 AC Plus

Comment

Originally posted by Matt View Post
              my LIPO would last a LOOOOONG time in between charges. Makes sure you get a voltage alarm and put it in your box so you don't drain it too much.
              which one?

Comment

I just bought a cheap one from hobbyking in china. seemed to work fine. i wouldnt spend a ton on one.

Comment

this looks similar to mine.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Integy-C23212-Voltage-Checker-Warning/dp/B003Y6E6IE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1457042345&sr=8-2&keywords=lipo+low+voltage+alarm[/ame]

Actually, I think it is the same one... been a couple years since I've used it

Comment

Originally posted by 2K2 LS1 View Post
                    Charged at 3.2amps not 5 amps. Like any charger I kept on only acceptable conditions.

Charger is a HiTech multi charger X2 AC Plus

Gotcha, I misread your initial charge rate. Even at 3.2amps if your battery was completely dead it should take around an hour to charge at 1c. I'd check to see if that charger has an adjustable max charge time, most do.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasPyro View Post
                      Gotcha, I misread your initial charge rate. Even at 3.2amps if your battery was completely dead it should take around an hour to charge at 1c. I'd check to see if that charger has an adjustable max charge time, most do.
                      Chargers sure have come a long way from the old brick with a pigtail you plugged into the wall. Now they have wifi adapters and programs for everything.

Comment

Some batteries are built better and can handle a high charge rate. It really just depends on the quality of the battery.

Comment

Depends on the battery but 1:1 is a great place to start. The battery should never get hot when charging, I had a 4 cell catch fire the other day on the charger, first time ever, luckily I was right there to toss it out back. Don't ever try to charge or use a damaged pack. Lesson learned.
                          Big Rooster Racing
                          1985 Mustang GT

Comment

What is the charge C rating of the battery? This will tell you everything you need to know. I have a huge 8300mah 6s pack for my big drone that I charge at 16a and it barely gets over room temp. 16a isn't even 2c for that pack and it has a 5c charge rating. Although I would never trust that, I have charged it at 20a before though.

Comment

Originally posted by inline 6 View Post
                              What is the charge C rating of the battery? This will tell you everything you need to know. I have a huge 8300mah 6s pack for my big drone that I charge at 16a and it barely gets over room temp. 16a isn't even 2c for that pack and it has a 5c charge rating. Although I would never trust that, I have charged it at 20a before though.
                              E-flite High-Power Series
                              LiPo
                              4S 14.8V 3200mAh(47.5Wh)
                              30C(96-Amp) Maximum Continuous Discharge
                              3C Maximum Charge Rate

Took that straight off the battery this morning.

Comment

Working...
                              X