Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you do your job for the money? Or the satisfaction... is it love / hate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks man! I'm pretty stoked. I am currently home, getting paid from my offshore job.... I gotta go out for sea trials for 2 weeks at the beginning of April, then come back, chill out for a bit more while getting paid, then try and time my 2 weeks notice just right such that I receive the maximum possible pay from the offshore gig while lounging and fucking off, then start the new job.

Comment

Originally posted by 93LXHORSE View Post
      Thanks man! I'm pretty stoked. I am currently home, getting paid from my offshore job.... I gotta go out for sea trials for 2 weeks at the beginning of April, then come back, chill out for a bit more while getting paid, then try and time my 2 weeks notice just right such that I receive the maximum possible pay from the offshore gig while lounging and fucking off, then start the new job.
      that sounds like a hell of a problem to have, congrats.
      "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

I started doing it for the work as I love learning and helping others with that knowledge. I now ask for a fair sum of money because I know my value. I do it for both equally at this point. I will never ask for more than what I feel I am worth in order to never feel stuck with a job that I cant function without.

Comment

What's really cool is when I left in at the end of 2014, so did another fellow engineer, and that resulted in yet another engineer being able to negotiate a substantial salary increase for himself.

I left on excellent terms with them and continued to do work for them on the side when on leave from my offshore job, and left a trail of happy accounts, sales leads, and jobs well done, meanwhile the flunkies they hired to replace me and the other guy left a mess wherever they went.

This convinced them that I could do the work of 2 flunkies and I certainly made that clear to them in my negotiations, and now they are basically paying me as such.

Comment

Awesome that it all worked out for you. Remember us little people when you move on.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostTX View Post
              to actually be felt needed and wanted.
              What are we a bunch of chicks?
              Originally posted by MR EDD
              U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Originally posted by ceyko View Post
                What are we a bunch of chicks?
                LOL. It does sound a bit whiney.

I've been on a "I don't like my job" mode for the past couple of weeks.
                "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

Originally posted by 93LXHORSE View Post
                  Update: Previous company came to me with an offer I couldn't refuse, a position that matters, a say in the direction the company is going, a month in Italy, and a lot of things just the way I want them.

So, I'm changing jobs in early May.

First time in my employment history when a president of a company let out a WHOOOOOOOOP!! when I accepted, and told me I made HIS day.... LOL..

I feel honored, but remain a humble servant.

Congrats and good luck.

I get paid very well for the shit I have to deal with. Sometimes, however, it's not enough. But, because I have people who depend on me going to work, I keep going back.

Comment

I was told a long time ago that to make more money at a company, you have to leave and come back, and I've found that to be true. They aint gonna pay you more without a damn good reason, no matter how much you're truly worth to them. I didn't actually have to leave to get my last big increase, but I did accept another job, which prompted the discussion and counter.

Congrats Chris, it's got to feel good to be appreciated, especially when accompanied by financial security.

Comment

Originally posted by Big A View Post
                      They aint gonna pay you more without a damn good reason, no matter how much you're truly worth to them.
                      I just got a promotion to a new role and a 22% raise without threatening to leave.
                      When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

Originally posted by Big A View Post
                        I was told a long time ago that to make more money at a company, you have to leave and come back, and I've found that to be true. They aint gonna pay you more without a damn good reason, no matter how much you're truly worth to them. I didn't actually have to leave to get my last big increase, but I did accept another job, which prompted the discussion and counter.

Congrats Chris, it's got to feel good to be appreciated, especially when accompanied by financial security.
                        Certainly true in my experience as well. And accepting the counter offer, unless you're upper-upper management is detrimental as well, as they'll keep you long enough to until they find a replacement.
                        "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

Originally posted by 46Tbird View Post
                          I just got a promotion to a new role and a 22% raise without threatening to leave.
                          That's the exception, rather than the rule, and I'd imagine that the promotion came with a title change and more responsibility (ie a new job). If not, then definitely the exception.

I'm talking about getting a market adjustment for the job you do today, to account for improved efficiencies and effectiveness, no change other than on the paycheck. In my case I came in at an entry level sales salary, and over the course of a few years my account base and revenue stream increased exponentially, but I only received a marginal increase in pay. Better than a typical raise, but still a long ways off. I pleaded my case regularly to my manager, and the answer was always that she was trying to get something done. I honestly do think that she was doing her best, but upper management saw me as a number, and cared solely about keeping their profit margins as high as possible. I got another job offer (two actually), and in hours of telling management that I was leaving, I had a 10k bonus in my pocket, and another $50k a year. Should've done it a year or 3 earlier, but I was still a little scared of the real possibility of changing employers. Comfortable can be a scary place to leave.

This was all after having been with them for almost 15 years, Corporations today, as a whole, aren't loyal to their employees like they used to be. There are always exceptions, but as a whole they don't just hand over raises when asked.

I thank God that in my case my relationships with my clients makes me a little harder to replace, or I'm sure that they would have.

Comment

Back in 2011, I earned a promotion at HP but it didn't come with a pay raise. I challenged my manager during my end of year review. He had just given me a top rating for that review but there was no pay raise and very little in terms of bonus money. I expressed my dissatisfaction with it and his reply was, "you promotion is one of those things that looks good on a resume" but then he asked me to give him 90 days to see what he could do.

90 days later I asked him about it and he said he would schedule a meeting with me in a week. He then promptly blew me off so I started looking for a new job.

Two week later I called him up and during the course of the conversation I said, "Hey, remember when you said my promotion was one of those things that looks good on a resume. Turns out you were right." I then gave him my two weeks notice.

Half an hour later he called me back and ask me if I would consider a counter offer.

When I first asked about a raise, I was only looking for $5-10K more a year. His little bit of bullshit cost HP and extra $30K a year, two months salary as a retention bonus, and 1000 shares of HP stock.

Comment

Working...
                            X