House 'Flipping' Skyrockets, Sparks Concern Over a Housing Bubble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• House 'Flipping' Skyrockets, Sparks Concern Over a Housing Bubble

House flipping - buying and reselling a home to make a quick buck - has risen in some hot housing markets, prompting concerns that local housing bubbles could be developing, according to a report published on Thursday.

The report by RealtyTrac found that home flipping in 12 active metropolitan areas last year was above a peak set in 2005, just two years before the U.S. mortgage market started to collapse, leading to a banking crisis and the Great Recession.

Profits generated by home flipping also hit a 10-year high, with home flippers netting an average $55,000 per sale before renovation and transaction costs. Profits topped $100,000 in expensive markets such as New York and Los Angeles.

There were also indications smaller investors were starting to pile in on the action. The number of home flippers rose to levels not seen since 2007, while the number of home flips per individual investor fell at the same time.

"When home flipping numbers go up, it is usually an indication that the housing market is in trouble," said Matthew Gardner, chief economist at Windermere Real Estate, who was quoted in the report.

"These sales artificially inflate home prices, making housing even less affordable for buyers and increasing the risk of a bubble," said Gardener.

Nearly 20 percent more homes were flipped than in 2005 in Pittsburgh and Memphis. Home flipping was above 2005 levels in Buffalo, New York; Birmingham, Alabama; Cleveland, and San Diego. Seattle and San Diego, however, saw a decrease from 2014 levels.

Three metro areas in Florida, a housing market that has been prone to overheating, saw the largest increase in home flips. Lakeland, Jacksonville, and Homosassa Springs all saw home flips rise 40 percent to 50 percent.

The Miami metro area had the most homes flipped of any market nationwide. In 2015, 10,658 were flipped in Miami, representing 8.6 percent of all Miami-area sales for the year and up 4 percent as a share of all sales from 2014.

The report defines a home flip as any transaction that occurred on the same property twice within 12 months. It surveyed 110 U.S. metro areas.

Home flipping grew nationally as 179,778 homes were flipped last year, the highest level since 2007. The number, however, was well under the 2005 peak of 259,192. The share of flipped homes edged up to 5.5 percent of sales from 5.3 percent in 2014.
    I have been wondering about this here in DFW for the last year or so. It certainly seems like there may be pockets here in DFW that may be bubbles.

Yea it's about to bust. House flipping is a no win situation. Don't do it

Comment

Originally posted by War Machine View Post
      Yea it's about to bust. House flipping is a no win situation. Don't do it
      ha!
      "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

After watching the big short...i know pretty much everything. Its the CDOs and the high credit ratings on junk that will get us. Just make sure to listen to a man wth a glass eye that likes metallica.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
          After watching the big short...i know pretty much everything.
          lmao ... true, true.
          Originally posted by davbrucas
          I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

Originally posted by slow99 View Post
            lmao ... true, true.
            Haha...ive admitted several times on here that my knowledge of the markets is weak. But i feel like that movie dumbed it down enough to make people feel like they understand it....which to me is more dangerous. Almost like a google MD degree.

As Mark Twain said..."It aint what you dont know that gets you into trouble. Its what you know for sure that just aint so. "

Comment

I feel like the market is at peak and going to come down. I dont think we will see a bust or a housing crash like we did with all the subprime lending.

Comment

Should I buy or nah?

I can't stand the thought of paying 1500/mo rent for a house with a garage and small yard.

Comment

Originally posted by TeeShock View Post
                  Should I buy or nah?

I can't stand the thought of paying 1500/mo rent for a house with a garage and small yard.
                  Thats a pretty low rent. Where are you looking?

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
                    Thats a pretty low rent. Where are you looking?
                    Richardson, North Dallas, South Plano, North/West Garland, Addison. 1500 doesn't get much around here. At what point does paying into an overvalued home mortgage put you in a lesser position than paying 1500/mo into some other bastards equity?

Comment

Originally posted by TeeShock View Post
                      Should I buy or nah?

Even if you overpay, you are paying towards an appreciating asset. Id buy in a heart beat

Comment

Originally posted by 8mpg View Post
                        Even if you overpay, you are paying towards an appreciating asset. Id buy in a heart beat
                        *theoretically appreciating.

The people I bought from lost 40k in 5 years.
                        "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by 8mpg View Post
                          I feel like the market is at peak and going to come down. I dont think we will see a bust or a housing crash like we did with all the subprime lending.
                          Just like my penis after i cum.

Comment

and then there is this.
                            Investors Are Flipping Houses Again

It was one of the most notorious practices of the financial crisis: Speculators snapping up homes, waiting a few months, and selling them at a quick profit.

Now home flippers are starting to come back, according to data from real estate company RealtyTrac. After four consecutive years of declines, the share of U.S. home sales that count as “flips”—meaning a home that is sold twice within 12 months— began to climb again in 2015, to 5.5% of all sales from 5.3% in 2014.

Across the U.S. flip sales rose in three-fourths of housing markets. Among the states with highest flip rates: Nevada (8.8%); Florida (8%), and Arizona (7.1%).

The return of flipping is yet another sign of a strengthening housing market. Home prices rose by 10% last year—although most economists expect more moderate growth in 2016. Nationally prices remain about 9% below pre-crisis peaks.

When housing prices rise, flipping homes can be an easy way to make a quick buck. RealtyTrac also reported that the average gross profit for flip sales hit $55,000, the highest level since 2005. But as anyone who saw recent Oscar nominee “The Big Short,” should know, when home prices move in the other direction, speculators can find themselves on the hook with disastrous results.

One difference between 2005 and now: While speculators may be looking to buy homes and sell them at a quick profit, this time lenders aren’t on board, at least so far. Today, more than 70% of flippers are buying homes with cash, meaning without a mortgage, up from just 34% a decade ago.

Even with the recent uptick in activity, the rate of home flipping is still far below levels it reached before the housing bubble burst. The share of sales that count as ‘flips’ reached as high as 8.2% in 2005. It fell as low as 5.3% in 2008, then bounced back to 7.3% in 2010, as foreclosures peaked and investors rushed to snap up cheap properties.

Comment

Don't finance depreciating assets, cash is king. Enjoy your debt lifestyles, plastic slaves!
                              Originally posted by davbrucas
                              I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

Working...
                              X