No announcement yet.

FINALLY got a new job..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grats man, I'm sure your boss(see:wife) is happy as well.

Comment

Congrats, Rick, that's awesome!

Comment

Congrats!
        www.facebook.com/hilldetailworks

Comment

Congratulations! I wish you the best!

I am on my 23rd year. As for the critics, I have heard all the nay-sayers my entire career crapping on EDS then HP/HPE in some form or another. People will find fault no matter what. I have had great times in my career, and not so great times. I am somewhere in the upper-middle of satisfaction right now working on one of our largest accounts. I seem to have always managed to improvise, adapt, and overcome. Its when I cannot, that I feel pigeon-holed and I have moved on to other opportunities, albeit it has been in the same company. As an approaching-middle-age white American male, I don't kid myself that I will get to retire with the company on my own terms. I have been sacrificing material things for a healthy and early retirement for several years, but not putting all my eggs in one basket.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank View Post

I am on my 23rd year. As for the critics, I have heard all the nay-sayers my entire career crapping on EDS then HP/HPE in some form or another. People will find fault no matter what. I have had great times in my career, and not so great times. I am somewhere in the upper-middle of satisfaction right now working on one of our largest accounts. I seem to have always managed to improvise, adapt, and overcome. Its when I cannot, that I feel pigeon-holed and I have moved on to other opportunities, albeit it has been in the same company. As an approaching-middle-age white American male, I don't kid myself that I will get to retire with the company on my own terms. I have been sacrificing material things for a healthy and early retirement for several years, but not putting all my eggs in one basket.
            That kind of tenure is impressive these days. I was at my last place over 10 years (5 or so different positions) and will have been at my current place for 7 years in June. Hell, these days it's not common to see someone at the some company for more than 3 or 4 years. There are about 30 people in my current office and I have been here longer than all but 3 other people. Previous leadership ran off a lot of good people.

Optimally I like to change roles about ever 2 years on average, with the same company though, if possible. I have been in a couple roles that lasted 3-4 years, and didn't like it at all. I like change. But I hate giving up all this vacation and seniority. Had 4 weeks of vacation a year at my last place, then had to start over at 2 weeks here, but am back to 4 weeks again.

Comment

Originally posted by Chili View Post
              That kind of tenure is impressive these days. I was at my last place over 10 years (5 or so different positions) and will have been at my current place for 7 years in June. Hell, these days it's not common to see someone at the some company for more than 3 or 4 years. There are about 30 people in my current office and I have been here longer than all but 3 other people. Previous leadership ran off a lot of good people.

Optimally I like to change roles about ever 2 years on average, with the same company though, if possible. I have been in a couple roles that lasted 3-4 years, and didn't like it at all. I like change. But I hate giving up all this vacation and seniority. Had 4 weeks of vacation a year at my last place, then had to start over at 2 weeks here, but am back to 4 weeks again.
              There are about 5 people (aside from management) that were here when I got here 9 years ago.
              "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

What if we're still doing this when we're fifty?

It would be nice to have that sort of job security.
                Originally posted by davbrucas
                I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

But I hate giving up all this vacation and seniority. Had 4 weeks of vacation a year at my last place, then had to start over at 2 weeks here, but am back to 4 weeks again.

I've been here 12 now, and have 6 weeks. I rarely use a full 5 days. Such a waste.

Congrats Mr. Bean!
                  Originally posted by BradM
                  But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                  Originally posted by Leah
                  In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by slow99 View Post
                    What if we're still doing this when we're fifty?

It would be nice to have that sort of job security.
                    "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Frank View Post

That was another biggie for me. I was pretty much the top VMware guy for all HPES, running the VMware mentoring group, creating the HP/VMware Global Innovation Center, representing HP on several videos and gave presentations at VMWorld and Partner Exchange. I got to help the HP CTO put a deal together for and HP/AirWatch partnership. VMware even paid HP to have me run their EUC booth at HP Discover last year. I've even helped close some pretty big deals, playing a big role in winning back a customer on a $250million contract renewal. There are many other deals beyond that one and I don't get paid commission on any of that. My team also created three HP products from scratch.

However, despite all that, moving up around here is really problematic. Sure, I can go through the overly tedious promotion process and obtain Tech Consultant V (master level consultant) but what does that get me? It doesn't even get you a pay raise. It just lets HPE bill at a higher rate for you. It certainly does't give me more influence in the company. Over the last three years I've had more influence than most managers. I really don't have a lot to show for it.

At VMware, I've seen that they promote from within. I will make a CRAP LOAD more money. They recognize people that produce. There are all sorts of positives. The only downside is the uncertainty with Dell buying EMC. I can deal with uncertainty.

Comment

But I hate giving up all this vacation and seniority. Had 4 weeks of vacation a year at my last place, then had to start over at 2 weeks here, but am back to 4 weeks again.
                        VMware doesn't give vacation days. You just take time off when you need it. The CEO has a pretty good reputation for pushing a work life balance.

That said, on previous positions that I've been considered for, I now demand that seniority. Give me my 4 weeks vacation now because I'm not waiting 5-10 years to earn it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt Beavis View Post
                          At VMware, I've seen that they promote from within. I will make a CRAP LOAD more money. They recognize people that produce. There are all sorts of positives. The only downside is the uncertainty with Dell buying EMC. I can deal with uncertainty.
                          Hopefully that stays that way, but with Dell in the mix, let me tell you, they aren't much different than HP.

Comment

Originally posted by Silverback View Post
                            Hopefully that stays that way, but with Dell in the mix, let me tell you, they aren't much different than HP.
                            Yea, it's a concern. At least Dell insists that VMware will continue to run as an independent company. We shall see.

Comment

Right on my man, I flew up to Bellevue Monday night for another round of interviews at Microsoft yesterday, I hope to have a similar follow up soon. Regardless, congrats on the level up.

Comment

Working...
                              X