No announcement yet.

Day of reckoning for mega-churches?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Praise be to Our Lady of Perpetual Exemption.
    Originally posted by Broncojohnny
    HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

Ah yes, the old RICO charges.
      Originally posted by davbrucas
      I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

Originally posted by Nash B. View Post
        For those that haven't seen it.

Originally posted by BradM
        But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
        Originally posted by Leah
        In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by Nash B. View Post
          Lol.. I liked that episode.

Comment

Originally posted by TRAILBLAZER View Post
            Kenneth Copeland has a nice place
            I drive by his compound every Friday Morning....Very impressive

Comment

What is to say someone couldn't call themselves a pastor, start a "church" or buy out an existing dead church (and their 501 status...if that is possible) and gather a few friends and business associates as the "congregation". That "congregation" then tithes their parts tax free. Those funds then funneled back into various entities going right back into the congregations pockets. I have my suspicions such a place exists in a nearby town given no one has met at the building in years for services yet they supposedly have a congregation.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank View Post
                What is to say someone couldn't call themselves a pastor, start a "church" or buy out an existing dead church (and their 501 status...if that is possible) and gather a few friends and business associates as the "congregation". That "congregation" then tithes their parts tax free. Those funds then funneled back into various entities going right back into the congregations pockets. I have my suspicions such a place exists in a nearby town given no one has met at the building in years for services yet they supposedly have a congregation.
                Nothing is really stopping them from doing that today..

Watch that John Oliver episode bcoop linked. IRS basically ignores them.

Comment

The sowing seed scheme is based off the verse Luke 6:38:

"Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you."

Christians should listen to God as to how much they should give instead of having a car salesman demand an amount before it's given back. Mike Murdock used to be one of the heavy hitters brought to Daystar late in a telethon to motivate people to keep donating.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank View Post
                    Would be incredibly easy to do according to a lawyer I have spoken to.
                    1997 Miata - Weekend\Autox Car
                    1994 Mustang Cobra - Garage Shelf
                    2012 Mazda 3 - Daily

Comment

Isn't this how Scientology got started, to get out of paying taxes.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by emg View Post
                        Isn't this how Scientology got started, to get out of paying taxes.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
                        Partly.. They are a big part of the reason the IRS doesn't fuck with churches regarding tax status. They fought the feds for a long, long time on theirs.

I think they talked about that in the documentary (Going Clear). Anyone who hasn't watched it, should. It's really very interesting, and I can't believe how messed up those people are.

Comment

Originally posted by Chili View Post
                          Partly.. They are a big part of the reason the IRS doesn't fuck with churches regarding tax status. They fought the feds for a long, long time on theirs.

I think they talked about that in the documentary (Going Clear). Anyone who hasn't watched it, should. It's really very interesting, and I can't believe how messed up those people are.
                          I watched it.

Scientology fought back by threatening the actual IRS agents involved in their case. They all backed off.

Comment

Working...
                          X