Texas Driver Responsibility Surcharge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Texas Driver Responsibility Surcharge

Paid a BS ticket for no insurance very close to my house. I did not have insurance. However, I picked the car up in the evening, diagnosed an issue on it, and took it on a test drive to see if all was well.
    Went to court, paid my fine, and went on with life. Now I got a letter from a private company (MSB) charging $780 for the DPS as an "assessment surcharge" for no insurance. This has me livid.
    Anyone had experience fighting this, or should I "stop breaking the law asshole" and pay these worthless cocksuckers?
    Originally posted by Buzzo
    Some dudes jump out of airplanes, I fuck hookers without condoms.

sigpic

Never heard of it but I searched and found the below. It says $250 surcharge for no insurance. It also states the amount that can be charged by MSB.

DPS Contracts with a Vendor

DPS contracts with an outside vendor (Municipal Services Bureau - MSB) to collect surcharges. This vendor is legally authorized to charge individuals the following service fees in addition to the surcharge.

A service fee of 4 percent of the original surcharge amount.
    An installment plan fee of $2.50 for each partial payment.
    A credit or debit card fee of 2.25 percent of the payment plus $0.25 (except where prohibited by law).
    An electronic check fee of $2.00 for each payment.

Individuals are mailed notification of surcharges to the address on record with DPS or to the most recent forwarding address on record with the U.S. Postal Service. The letter will include:

The amount of the surcharge and other collection fees, and
    Information on how to pay.

Comment

You had no insurance at all?
      Originally posted by racrguy
      What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
      Originally posted by racrguy
      Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

you fucked up when you paid the fine

you were covered under your existing policy. there is a grace period for adding a vehicle. it is not very long, but it's certainly more than 1/2 a day.

that is unless you had zero vehicle insurance, in which case, stop breaking the law, asshole
        http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

I had insurance, but I had not put that specific vehicle on my policy yet.
          I spoke with my insurance before in regards to this and my agent said I was covered automatically for the first month? Don't know how true this is, as another agent disagreed later down the line.

sigpic

Comment

Motherfuck

sigpic

Comment

you picked up a pretty serious charge there man. hopefully they dont make you pay it for 3 years like a dwli/dwls.
              you dont actually have to pay it until you need to renew your license i think, so i'd just start putting a few bucks away per week for the next couple years.

Comment

you are covered for a month grace period if you are replacing a vehicle

adding a vehicle is only a few days grace period (not sure on exact number)

but by TX law, you WERE insured

Comment

Good ol' surcharges, bunch of fucking crooks. If you miss a payment you can pay it without punishment. Miss more than two they'll suspend your license and you'll be forced to pay the reinstatement fee along with the full amount of the surcharge. I just finished up paying mine, three years. I can't remember if mine was for the same as the o.p. i gave them the minimum of $13.33 a month.
                  Originally posted by talisman
                  I wonder if there will be a new character that specializes in bjj and passive agressive comebacks?
                  Originally posted by AdamLX
                  If there was, I wouldn't pick it because it would probably just keep leaving the game and then coming back like nothing happened.
                  Originally posted by Broncojohnny
                  Because fuck you, that's why
                  Originally posted by 80coupe
                  nice dick, Idrivea4banger
                  Originally posted by Rick Modena
                  ......and idrivea4banger is a real person.
                  Originally posted by Jester
                  Man ive always wanted to smoke a bowl with you. Just seem like a cool cat.

Comment

Covered for a month on any new vehicle you pick up automatically. Should have never paid the ticket you could have provided proof of insurance easily.

Comment

when ballin (paying the fine)

goes outta control (taking the charge)

Comment

Originally posted by 03mustangdude View Post
                        Covered for a month on any new vehicle you pick up automatically. Should have never paid the ticket you could have provided proof of insurance easily.
                        don't get your ass in a sling... it's a month when replacing a vehicle, it's only a few days, maybe a week? when adding one

Comment

Date snuck up quick with all the crap I was juggling.
                          Well, expensive lesson learned I guess. Best thing I can do is contact the department to have the suspension shit lifted since I actually was covered.
                          Those assholes still want their money though. I'll be sure to send a bag of dicks as well

sigpic

Comment

set some bail money aside too bc they will take you in every single time on that shit.

Comment

Every policy that I have ever had in TX allows for 30 days to add a new car to your policy and you are covered within those 30 days.

Do what I do. Take a 120lbs bucket full of change with you if you think they are going to take you to jail. It is a hoot making them count it. I know we have a few Plano officers on the board so ask them what happened at the jail the last time I pulled that stunt.
                              Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Working...
                              X