Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone here currently pay for an Assisted Care Facility?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Long Term Care Facility

I fought those battles for almost 8 years with Mom. We progressed through assisted living, and 2 nursing homes, and the finally to an Altzheimers facility where she died at almost 101. The care is never first class. There are aides that are really dedicated, but most could care less. The older the aide....the better the care. Yes, it's sad to say, but the old white women were the best. It went downhill from there, You get little or no help from the state agencies that are charged with over site. The state agencies do not want to find problems, so they warn the homes ahead of time on inspections. You know that happens when you see extra help and extra painting and cleaning. The only way to survive is to go every day (at different times) and really bone up on the regulations. You must do like I did, and make the management almost afraid of you. It's a shame to pay $6000 + a month for almost 8 years and have to do that. Mom was private pay the entire time, but those who did not pay got the same care. The system is broken, but the big money owners pay enough to politicians that nothing will be done. I know that for a fact. You can track contributions on a web site "FOLLOW THE MONEY". Check it out. You will be surprised.

Comment

Originally posted by FastFox View Post
      I fought those battles for almost 8 years with Mom. We progressed through assisted living, and 2 nursing homes, and the finally to an Altzheimers facility where she died at almost 101. The care is never first class. There are aides that are really dedicated, but most could care less. The older the aide....the better the care. Yes, it's sad to say, but the old white women were the best. It went downhill from there, You get little or no help from the state agencies that are charged with over site. The state agencies do not want to find problems, so they warn the homes ahead of time on inspections. You know that happens when you see extra help and extra painting and cleaning. The only way to survive is to go every day (at different times) and really bone up on the regulations. You must do like I did, and make the management almost afraid of you. It's a shame to pay $6000 + a month for almost 8 years and have to do that. Mom was private pay the entire time, but those who did not pay got the same care. The system is broken, but the big money owners pay enough to politicians that nothing will be done. I know that for a fact. You can track contributions on a web site "FOLLOW THE MONEY". Check it out. You will be surprised.
      Follow the money...thats right. Do you have a clue how expensive it is to run a business? A nurse runs you $90k a year with benefits, need minimum of 12 of them to have legal 24 hour coverage. The aids cost you $10/hr. At that rate, what do you want from them? Each aid cost you $30k a year with benefits. Probably 20 of them to run your home. Your Director of Nursing (the person who actually runs your shithole) cost you $160k a year. Then you need cooks, housekeeping, landscapers, etc. Then what are your taxes, electricity, water, etc.

These are all theoretical numbers but I know how much nurses, tech and what not make. Just your direct patient care for 60 patients would cost you:
      Nurses $1,080,000
      Techs $600,000
      Director $160,000
      $1.84M in just labor. You need $2500/patient/mo to break even on just the labor. There is more labor and a lot more expenses to add in. Then, the owners need to make profit or they dont open these places

Comment

Merciful heavens.

Comment

Originally posted by 8mpg View Post
          Follow the money...thats right. Do you have a clue how expensive it is to run a business? A nurse runs you $90k a year with benefits, need minimum of 12 of them to have legal 24 hour coverage. The aids cost you $10/hr. At that rate, what do you want from them? Each aid cost you $30k a year with benefits. Probably 20 of them to run your home. Your Director of Nursing (the person who actually runs your shithole) cost you $160k a year. Then you need cooks, housekeeping, landscapers, etc. Then what are your taxes, electricity, water, etc.

These are all theoretical numbers but I know how much nurses, tech and what not make. Just your direct patient care for 60 patients would cost you:
          Nurses $1,080,000
          Techs $600,000
          Director $160,000
          $1.84M in just labor. You need $2500/patient/mo to break even on just the labor. There is more labor and a lot more expenses to add in. Then, the owners need to make profit or they dont open these places
          Don't forget how expensive food and medicine are as well, maintenance, and all the other stuff that goes into keeping any place running. Now I am sure costs have gone way up thanks to the way medicaid and medicare bills stuff in much the same way government assistance for college has helped college costs skyrocket. So I can see where there would be reduced costs assuming you could get rid of social programs and let the private market take over, but the bigger issue here is people not being prepared and having a plan other than relying on uncle sam. I just hope I don't have to go through this with my parents.
          I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

Working...
          X