Question on Rebuilt Salvage Titles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on Rebuilt Salvage Titles

I bought a truck yesterday that has a rebuilt salvage title. The only issue I can see with it is that the steering column is torn to hell and it's going to Ford today to be looked over. As I don't know why she has a salvage title, how do I go about clearing it to a regular, clean title? Is there a check Ford can do to say "Yep, she's good" and take it to the tax office?

She's a 95 F350 with the 7.3L and coach interior. Tires are shot to hell but she cranks up and purrs at 65 without issue. Correction, she purrs but the AC doesn't work and the windows won't roll down so I have to crack the vent glass. Still, 250k miles on her and she doesn't smoke.

Also, why do people put big ass exhaust on diesels? This is my first diesel and she has what looks like a trash can on her. What is the point of that exactly?
    Last edited by Forever_frost; 02-19-2016, 11:49 AM.
    I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

7.5L is the gas 460. 7.3L is a diesel
    Originally posted by Broncojohnny
    HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

I cant imagine taking a 20 year old truck to a ford dealership for service.

Comment

If it's branded salvage, it's always going to be salvage.
        "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

This should be the obvious answer but the truck was most likely stolen and it was either paid off and then found after insurance deemed it a total loss or when it was recovered the insurance company figured that it wasn't worth fixing and deemed it a total loss.
          Imprisoned inside this mind, hiding behind the empty smiles.....

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
            If it's branded salvage, it's always going to be salvage.
            Ehhhh, not necessarily.....

We've had some vehicles show up at work that had a clear title but when we ran a CarFax on them they came back as being "Rebuilt/Salvage" from another state.
            Imprisoned inside this mind, hiding behind the empty smiles.....

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
              Ehhhh, not necessarily.....

We've had some vehicles show up at work that had a clear title but when we ran a CarFax on them they came back as being "Rebuilt/Salvage" from another state.
              That can happen, and there are people to have figured out how to do it. It's refered to as "washing the title" and it happens when a car is titled in a state as salvage and transferred to a state that it doesn't get branded on the title again.
              "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Cant unsalvage a salvaged title.... Lol otherwise there would be no salvage titles if you could reverse that process.

Comment

Why would I take it to Ford? I took it to my local guy and he's still settling in his new shop and can't get to it and has no idea about steering columns other than replace it. I get them to crawl through it to tell me any fault a vehicle I buy has so I have some idea what to expect because my family will be in it at some point.

Sorry, I got used to typing 7.5 with the other truck. She's the 7.3. So, why do people put big ass trash cans on the exhaust and is there any reason I'd want to leave it on?

Comment

That's called washing the title.
                    Originally posted by davbrucas
                    I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

No, he's saying he took it to ford because his local guy is busy.

And about the exhaust can, because bro dozer!

Comment

Yep. I took it to the guy yesterday when it was getting inspected. It's going to Ford today to be looked over. Guy yesterday said he can't repair columns so Ford is going to give her a full look over. They tend to charge me just the $70 to give me a full look over so I'm not terribly upset.

I am rather excited about all of this. The Punisher truck left Saturday (took the guy 6 hours to leave my drive and another 9 to get home to Athens) and the 3/4 ton is gone as well so this is my project.

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeG. View Post
                          No, he's saying he took it to ford because his local guy is busy.

And about the exhaust can, because bro dozer!
                          I forgot about dozer.

I want a dozer now.

Comment

Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
                            Sorry, I got used to typing 7.5 with the other truck. She's the 7.3. So, why do people put big ass trash cans on the exhaust and is there any reason I'd want to leave it on?
                            Cause all the flat billed faggots do it. Put stock size exhaust with a muffler on it. Did you sell the 7.5 F250?

Comment

Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
                              Why would I take it to Ford? I took it to my local guy and he's still settling in his new shop and can't get to it and has no idea about steering columns other than replace it. I get them to crawl through it to tell me any fault a vehicle I buy has so I have some idea what to expect because my family will be in it at some point.

I think you need to find you another guy.

A big exhaust tip serves no purpose other than big-tip-ricer-diesel bragging rights. However, a bigger more free flowing exhaust system helps to move EGT heat out of a diesel more than anything....especially on those OBS trucks that didn't have intercoolers on them. Some performance gains of course too, but fairly minimal in most cases. The downpipe on those trucks is the single most restrictive piece in the factory exhaust system.

Feel free to PM if I can answer any questions....I was a dealership wrench on those era trucks when they were new, and I've owned a number of them over the years.
                              70' Chevelle RagTop
                              (Forever Under Construction)

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.”- Thomas A Edison

Comment

Working...
                              X