Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

73yrs ago today the Battle of Stalingrad ended...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ram57ta View Post
    What plane? Did I miss something?
    No shit. I was wondering the same thing.

320rwhp. 7.67 @ 90mph 1.7 60'

DD: 2004 GMC Sierra VHO 6.0 LQ9 324whp 350wtrq

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck_Finley View Post
      frankly in my opinion the U.S. backed the wrong side during World War I
      Elaborate please, keeping in mind that we extended lines of credit to both sides to profit, and jumped in when the Central Powers started fucking with our profiteering (and by blowing up our shit).
      Originally posted by lincolnboy
      After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

Comment

If you guys are interested, read Antony Beevor's Stalingrad and Fall of Berlin 1945 books.

Comment

Originally posted by ram57ta View Post
          What plane? Did I miss something?
          That was my post about the B-36 which was built in Ft Worth and ordered in 1941 ( prior to Pearl Harbor ) to be used to bomb Germany from bases in the US & Canada should England have fallen. I was trying to edit the post from my phone and my fat @ss finger hit the delete button. It never saw action in the war, and became the first intercontinental bomber for the Air Force until it was replaced by the B-52.

Comment

Originally posted by 03mustangdude View Post
            That plane looks sweet but with jet technology coming in it would have been obsolete in years.
            It was actually obsolete by Korea when the Soviets had finally developed jet interceptors that could fly at the same altitude as the B-36 without having stalling/turning issues, and why the B-52 replaced it.

But for 1944/45 should it have been needed, it would have served quite well. Watch this from 1943 that gives some detail about the idea of bombing Germany/Japan from US air bases.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Originally posted by 32vfromhell View Post
              If you guys are interested, read Antony Beevor's Stalingrad and Fall of Berlin 1945 books.
              Agreed!

Comment

Watching Enemy at the Gates. Great movie.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex C View Post
                  Elaborate please, keeping in mind that we extended lines of credit to both sides to profit, and jumped in when the Central Powers started fucking with our profiteering (and by blowing up our shit).

We chose to support Britain and France primarily because we had more capital tied up with them than we did with Germany. The Zimmerman telegram to Mexico only added icing on the cake. At the time, that decision could easily be seen as the right one to make, but we also can't sit back and say that we didn't know about the bolsheviks trying to seize power in Russia. We also can't say that we didn't know what communism was all about back then because there sure as hell were plenty of people in the U.S. organizing on that front. People also tend to forget that during the early 20th century, California almost voted in an openly communist government; the margins were pretty thin.

The U.S. should have sent a much larger army into Russia to support the whites than it did; now look what we have to deal with even today. The effects of World War I are alive and well today and likely even another 100 years from now.

Comment

So we "supported the wrong side" after that side asked Mexico to invade us?
                    Also keep in mind that it would've been impossible to support the Central Powers with, I don't know, the British fucking grand fleet keeping us from stepping foot in the Atlantic.

We wanted money, and siding with Britain and France ensured we would get more of it.

Comment

Also keep in mind that it would've been impossible to support the Central Powers with, I don't know, the British fucking grand fleet keeping us from stepping foot in the Atlantic.

We wanted money, and siding with Britain and France ensured we would get more of it.
                      Wasn't that letter false or faked? Think weekly ww1 series on youtube said something like that.

That grand fleet was occupied and since we were neutral just supporting the central powers they would not have stopped us.

Comment

We do not really know if the telegram was false or not, but that was not a risk we were willing to take.
                        And if you think the British would've simply let us plant supplies to support the alliance, you are crazy sir (also keep in mind how dependant we were on their merchant mariners to cross the ocean). The fact of the matter is we chose our side wisely and correctly.

Comment

I don't think you quite understand the point I'm trying to make here. After Germany was forced into terrible conditions at Versailles, that whole nation was in total ruin. If something could have have happened by mid-1918 to force at least a ceasefire, maybe all of these nations could have taken a breath and realized a far worse threat was developing in the east. If that could have happened, Germany would have been a very serious force to contend with right on the doorstep of Russia. All of the allied powers would have had an easier time of finding common ground with Germany and Austria than they would have with Russia, not to mention again that Finland would have been happy to join in and lend a hand too.

Their bullshit Marxist ideals that have yet to be successful anywhere continue to pervade the minds of so-called "intellectuals" in western societies everywhere today, but are most often embraced by those who can't even balance their own checkbook for the simple purpose of exerting power over others through force of government.

Comment

We can speculate a lot here, but a communist revolution in a backwater country (that despite numerical superiority was routed by the Germans) was not nearly as bad as what would have happened if the German Empire and Austria-Hungary seized the day.
                            Remember that just years before the Germans shattered the French economy after the Franco-Prussian War, took their territory, and then unified into a massive and terrifying empire. This would surely have been repeated on a larger scale, the French would have likely had a communist revolution, and the British arguably would have as well (the monarchy may well have been abolished, as in Germany). We may have followed suit if we saw the Western democracies capitulate in favor of communism as well, who the hell knows.

What I can say with certainty is that when you said "the U.S. backed the wrong side during World War I", you are quite wrong.

Comment

You can say I'm wrong all you want, it's your opinion. Our nation should have made an effort to effect a ceasefire during that war in order to turn attention to the bolshevik threats. That entire revolution hinged on Lenin and he was kept under wraps pretty well by the Swiss. Who else would have managed to pull off what he did? Trotsky? Zinoviev? We can effectively look at Lenin as being the lynchpin that made it all possible. Look at what a backwater nation turned into in roughly 20 years time, and how that total poison of a culture that ranks right up there with sharia law managed to spread so fast around the world.

The superpower that was imperial Germany would have been far easier to deal with then some convert-or-die jihad or one-world labor union under communism.

Comment

Uh... You know we exploited the commies by watching them deal with WWII in Europe, then beat them without firing a shot at them right? I would say that went pretty well.

This was of course after WWI when we chose the winning horse... And you think we goofed that up?

Comment

Working...
                                X