Anyone use VSP vision insurance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone use VSP vision insurance?

Age has finally caught up to me (or maybe the job in front of a computer screen since right out of highschool has), but either way, an eye exam today put me at -1 cylinder in each eye. I still don't NEED glasses, but things in the very distance are starting to get harder to read, or make out details (highway/interstate signs far out, or like faces, especially when facial features can't cast a shadow).

What kind of glasses do you guys use? Frames, lens coating and treatments, etc, and where did you get them from?

I've looked at a couple places online, like http://www.americasbest.com/, but I want to make sure it's something my insurance will eat a chunk of the cost for.
    sigpic

that's like the worst insurance i've ever had for contact lenses. they wont pay the exam and will only pay up to $125 of the contacts cost. Might be the plan the employer signed up with but its cheaper for me to buy the contacts from canada than deal with trying to get a check cut.

Comment

Yea, I have VSP too and haven't used them in about 3 or 4 years. Kind of afraid to see what it will really cover. I am out of contacts and really need to get an eye exam.
      Last edited by mstng86; 02-01-2016, 03:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 03mustangdude View Post
        that's like the worst insurance i've ever had for contact lenses. they wont pay the exam and will only pay up to $125 of the contacts cost. Might be the plan the employer signed up with but its cheaper for me to buy the contacts from canada than deal with trying to get a check cut.
        This. And if you get glasses you have to wait weeks for VSP to make them and ship them. Fuck VSP
        QuestionableContent-Awesome Webcomic

Comment

I had VSP at my previous employer for several years, coverage included eye exam, and paid quite a bit of my wifes prescription lenses/frames. No idea for contacts, but my old boss used the same plan for his contacts, and had no issues and did not complain about the price.

Comment

I guess what I'm trying to figure out is if you jackholes just got glasses and shit right there at the doctor's office, or did you try getting some online like I am?
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by yellowstang View Post
              I had VSP at my previous employer for several years, coverage included eye exam, and paid quite a bit of my wifes prescription lenses/frames. No idea for contacts, but my old boss used the same plan for his contacts, and had no issues and did not complain about the price.
              I have VSP, and it was like this for me. I think we pay $25 at the exam. That covers the exam and gave like $175 allowance for frames/lenses plus reduced rate or something.

Originally posted by Magnus View Post
              I guess what I'm trying to figure out is if you jackholes just got glasses and shit right there at the doctor's office, or did you try getting some online like I am?
              Yes, but they typically take a few days to be ready. I haven't been in a few years, but my eyesight has/is deteriorating from the computer screen like you. My prescription is weaker than what you can get from over the counter reading glasses. The first 3 years I went, I got the same frames each time (Fossil titanium) and kept a pair in my bag to travel with, a pair at home, and a pair at work. I was out of pocket like $48 I think total each time. I got the same frame so that if my prescription changed, I could update them all and just have glasses standard. That was about 8 years ago when I started. The last time I went in (4-5 years now), that frame was discontinued. I picked out a similar frame and was out the same amount. They're here on my desk and work great, but I don't need them that often.

Comment

to the OP

i went to america's best in plano, i dont know what my vision insurance is, but it had something to do with if they were not safety rated they werent covered. That said i paid out of pocket for the exam and their 2 for $69 or whatever it is special. I want to say i walked away with two pair of glasses for $78 OTD

Comment

We have it and it covers our eye Exam as well. I don't use it but the wife and kids do. I am sure the coverage varies for every employer but we go to Pearl Vision with it. Hit their website for a list of offices that take it and your full benefits.

Comment

Originally posted by Tremor14 View Post
                    i went to america's best in plano, i dont know what my vision insurance is, but it had something to do with if they were not safety rated they werent covered. That said i paid out of pocket for the exam and their 2 for $69 or whatever it is special. I want to say i walked away with two pair of glasses for $78 OTD
                    I thought toilet installers were baller enough to afford lasik?

Comment

Of course that would impede your hipster dirtbag look so I understand.

Comment

i dunno after 3 years of sitting at a desk staring at 30" monitors, guessing how much it would cost to install a toilet i decided to capitalize on my hipster dirtbag look. I nailed it, yeah?

Comment

I don't know if there are different types of VSP or the employer makes a difference, but I'd only pay $40 a visit and it covered my contacts 100% and a pair of frames every other year.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Tremor14 View Post
                            to the OP

Jeebus, you have as much gray as I do, cuz!

OP, my wife went to an eye Dr in the mall, then next door Lens Crafters. Been using both for several years.

Comment

Working...
                            X