Is Angies List worth $23 a year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Angies List worth $23 a year?

Looking to have a few things fixed/redone in the house before we move in. Is Angies List worth reading reviews and using that to get estimates for the different jobs we will want done? I know it's only $23 for the "Premium" yearly membership, but is it actually worth using, or just go with word of mouth from here?
    We will need several things done in a timely manner before we move in, so no, I am not doing any of it myself. We will be living in our current home until it is done too, so no worries about having to move furniture, or covering shit, etc.

Anyone use Angies List and like it, not like it?

I always hear ads for the good contractors list. You might check them out.
    2012 GT500

Comment

I paid for a year, and i've found 2-3 companies from it and have had positive experiences with them

Comment

I have paid for a couple years. Its a good place to start looking for contractors but in the end its all bullshit. I had Amazing Siding come out to the house (rated well on Angies List) and they tried to sell their service. I showed them another company quote for literally 1/2 the price. Sales guy said he would talk to his boss about the price.

I ended up getting a long ass voicemail about how his workers keep leaving and starting their own companies. Blah blah blah, they pay $18,000 a year to Angies List to stay on top and they cant compete with such low prices. The voicemail was so long, the thing cut him off because it ran out of recording space. When I heard they pay that much a year to Angies list... I knew it was bunk

That being said, the few people I have used off of there were good and one got me a 5% discount ($4k spray foam insulation job) which was worth the $15 or so I paid. They occasionally do discounts on subscription.

Comment

I used the free call in service where you tell them what you need and they "match" you with a company that gives you a call/email with an estimate based on what you told Angie's list. I tried twice with painters and electricians and they all wanted way too much $$$. Each time I emailed them and said to try again and the quotes did get lower but still way too high. I did better with just using Google. It seems like the match you with whoever charges the most
          BARBIE LOVES BULLITT991 3.17.07
          I'm a Barbie girl...In my Barbie world...
          PROUD OWNER: '04 AZURE BLUE MACH 1

Comment

They will spam you to death once you cancel, though. They seem to have about 5,000 different emails to do it from
            WH

Comment

Cool Google it is! Or posting in the home forum here, LOL

Does anyone have recommendations for interior painters, Roanoke area? :P

Comment

Originally posted by yellowstang View Post
                Cool Google it is! Or posting in the home forum here, LOL

Does anyone have recommendations for interior painters, Roanoke area? [emoji14]
                Wayne McCollum

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
                2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

I have a few folks I use in Denton for flips and such. Is it just paint? no tape bed etc? If so I could probably send you a few names.

Comment

Here's a 1 year free basic membership compliments of Allstate Dominguez Agency for DFWMustang members/friends/family, click the link and get a code to sign up. You may have to use another e-mail if you have signed up to Angies List before.

allstatelocalservices.com/angieslist/DominguezAgencyDFWMustangs

Allstate Insurance
                    Dominguez Agency
                    1101 E. Bardin Rd. suite 141
                    Arlington, TX. 76018
                    817-405-2011
                    tdominguez@allstate.com
                    Give us a call so we can take a look at your insurance needs, we may be able to save you $$!!
                    Last edited by Stng5Pnt8; 07-08-2016, 09:06 PM.
                    Allstate Insurance
                    Dominguez Agency
                    1101 E. Bardin Rd. suite 141
                    Arlington, TX. 76018
                    817-405-2011
                    tdominguez@allstate.com
                    Give us a call so we can take a look at your insurance needs, we may be able to save you $$!!

Comment

Wow, awesome job, thanks Tony.
                      Originally posted by Silverback
                      Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by 8mpg View Post
                        I ended up getting a long ass voicemail about how his workers keep leaving and starting their own companies. Blah blah blah, they pay $18,000 a year to Angies List to stay on top and they cant compete with such low prices. The voicemail was so long, the thing cut him off because it ran out of recording space. When I heard they pay that much a year to Angies list... I knew it was bunk
                        Angies list charges the fuck out of you if you are a contractor. They were getting me for $800 per month before I told them to get bent and that was 10 years ago.
                        Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Originally posted by 8mpg View Post
                          I have paid for a couple years. Its a good place to start looking for contractors but in the end its all bullshit. I had Amazing Siding come out to the house (rated well on Angies List) and they tried to sell their service. I showed them another company quote for literally 1/2 the price. Sales guy said he would talk to his boss about the price.

That being said, the few people I have used off of there were good and one got me a 5% discount ($4k spray foam insulation job) which was worth the $15 or so I paid. They occasionally do discounts on subscription.
                          Originally posted by svo855 View Post
                          Angies list charges the fuck out of you if you are a contractor. They were getting me for $800 per month before I told them to get bent and that was 10 years ago.
                          I thought their schtick was that contractors can't pay to be listed, therefore you get unbiased opinions and reviews?
                          G'Day Mate

Comment

Originally posted by Grimpala View Post
                            I thought their schtick was that contractors can't pay to be listed, therefore you get unbiased opinions and reviews?
                            No you pay out the ass to be listed contractor on angie's list. I will never do that again, wasn't worth the money. I'm on there for free now as just a name but to advertise and have your name pop up it's higher than shit. That's what Angie's list doesn't tell there customers. The contractors that pop up when you do a search are paying to pop up.

It's the reviews you can't change, unlike the BBB if a customer complains I can have it taken off if I am proven right. On Angie's list the review stays. Now I do not agree with the way they do that. If someone puts up a false or bs complaint it is there forever and you can't get it deleted. You can wright a response but it is still there.

Comment

Originally posted by Grimpala View Post

Their "shtick" is to lie their asses off.
                              Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Working...
                              X