Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Legalized pot states-how are companies dealing with drug tests?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legalized pot states-how are companies dealing with drug tests?

I was talking to a buddy of mine that smokes and the topic of employer's drug testing came up. I know typically a company's rules state no illegal drug use but what are their policies regarding weed if the state has legalized it? What about the people that get prescriptions for it?

Yup, federal law supersedes state law in this case. It's covered under most employers' code of conduct, like visible tattoos and such. It's at the employers discretion until it's removed from schedule one.

Comment

I don't get why people think that if it becomes legal then work will be ok with it.
      2006 Civic SI
      2009 Pilot
      1988 GT
      CRF50

Widebody whore.

Comment

Originally posted by beefed88 View Post
        I don't get why people think that if it becomes legal then work will be ok with it.
        ^this

In this case, company policy trumps state law..especially if it has to do with CDL's

Comment

Originally posted by beefed88 View Post
          Folks are ignorant. However, if it's legalized at the federal level, all that can change.

Comment

I think you will see more laxed company policies regarding the medicine.

Comment

When its legal federally companies will have to change but can still test to make sure you are not intoxicated at work via breathalyzer devices.

Comment

I can feel the experience in this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by 03mustangdude View Post
                  When its legal federally companies will have to change but can still test to make sure you are not intoxicated at work via breathalyzer devices.
                  Nope. Federal law and state law have nothing to do with it. Companies can ban it for employees if they want. Many companies do so now with tobacco. On the flip side, there are plenty of companies who don't have any rules against pot, even when it's illegal in their state.

Comment

Originally posted by jluv View Post
                    Nope. Federal law and state law have nothing to do with it. Companies can ban it for employees if they want. Many companies do so now with tobacco. On the flip side, there are plenty of companies who don't have any rules against pot, even when it's illegal in their state.
                    EXACTLY.

Microsoft, Apple, and many IT companies have no drug testing.

HP has no drug testing, the only time we have to worry about it is when dealing with a customer that does worry about it. I have had the Feds as customers five different times over the last 10 years and I have never been asked for a drug test. However, an Aerospace company is a new customer of mine and they do require it.

There is a legal liability issue that some companies may care about though.

Comment

EVERYONE in Denver drug tests at least at the start. If its a big national company that wants to do random tests its better to pass up the job if you're a smoker.

Supreme Court ruled with companies after a guy who worked for Comcast was injured on the job (wreck) and was put in a wheel chair. He was on workmans comp and was hit with a test. He failed and was kicked from workmans comp. He took it as far as the supreme court and they sided with the company because its still federally a controlled substance.

He was legally using under a med card and doctors watch to control heavy spasms in his legs. USA didn't care.

Until it is reclassified it is still illegal unless you work for a company that specifically doesn't drug test and most companies that branch out nationally do.

Watched a girl get asked to do a drug test for little ceasers just yesterday to get on a fucking $9.00 job. (if that) fucking blasphemy, I thought pizza service employees were required to smoke weed. Maybe the drug test was for a positive hell IDK

Guy at microcenter said he got tested and was talking shit about a guy that smoked that just left that smelled like a stinky pot field. I said, "MOTHERFUCKER 80% of PEOPLE HERE SMOKE AND YOURE TALKING SHIT to RANDOM PPL?" ill keel u.
                      sigpic

Comment

No different than failing a breath test. Just because its legal doesnt mean companies have to deal with it.

Comment

Working...
                        X