Will insurance total car....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will insurance total car....

I got rear ended today in an old 98 passat. It's valued at $845 because of the mileage, etc.

I was rear ended and they broke the rear bumper and it fell off. So my question is will they total it since it's not worth very much? 80% of that is nothing and I"m assuming a new bumper and paint will be right around there.

Just wondering.

yes they will. Then buy it back and drive it.

Comment

Why you driving around in an $800 car? Werent you starting a business a while back?
      Check your self bro , you're not that cool.

Comment

Originally posted by paul_376 View Post
        Why you driving around in an $800 car? Werent you starting a business a while back?
        You don't keep a beater around? I have an 02 accord that is fully loaded with all the options and 30 door dings. Love it! Not $800 bucks but still a deal.

Comment

Originally posted by paul_376 View Post
          For reasons like this. It's got 174k miles, a/c still works, and is super reliable. I plan to drive it til it dies then resurrect it a couple more times before taking it to its grave. I still have my other toys (Fox, Galaxie, Viper). I invest what would have been a car payment for a daily. The business is up and running still. Barely. lol.

Originally posted by Denny
          Yep

Because who cares what happens to it. I always try to keep at least one piece of shit around.
          Exactly.

Comment

98 passat. lol.
            Isn't that what you let the imported girlfriends drive?
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Magnus View Post
              98 passat. lol.
              Isn't that what you let the imported girlfriends drive?
              Haha, that was a few g/f's ago. And no, I never let her drive that. Lol.

Anyway, I guess I'll file the claim tomorrow. I told the woman to just get me a black bumper and call it even but she didn't want to. Oh well.

Comment

Originally posted by Memo View Post
                I got rear ended today in an old 98 passat. It's valued at $845 because of the mileage, etc.

I was rear ended and they broke the rear bumper and it fell off. So my question is will they total it since it's not worth very much? 80% of that is nothing and I"m assuming a new bumper and paint will be right around there.

Just wondering.
                I thought this was a justinsn95 troll post when I first read it.
                When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

Yeah they will...probably get a check for $800 and you can buy it back for $200
                  Originally posted by Da Prez
                  Fuck dfwstangs!! If Jose ain't running it, I won't even bother going back to it, just my two cents!!
                  Originally posted by VETTKLR

Cliff Notes: I can beat the fuck out of a ZR1

Comment

#Fahrvergnügen

god bless.
                    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

If you let them total it and you get a huge check for 800 bucks you then buy it back for lets say 200 bucks as previously mentioned. So we are at 600 bucks profit but then you have to repair it, do the paper work to get it legal again, file for a title again as its now in the insurance company's name. Just sounds like it could be more work then its worth for a couple hundred dollar bumper and a ding on the title.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny
                        Yep

Because who cares what happens to it. I always try to keep at least one piece of shit around.
                        Then that hot chick from your building sees you getting in a twenty year old POS instead of your z06.
                        Originally posted by davbrucas
                        I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

Originally posted by snacksnack View Post
                          If you let them total it and you get a huge check for 800 bucks you then buy it back for lets say 200 bucks as previously mentioned. So we are at 600 bucks profit but then you have to repair it, do the paper work to get it legal again, file for a title again as its now in the insurance company's name. Just sounds like it could be more work then its worth for a couple hundred dollar bumper and a ding on the title.
                          My sister totaled her Jeep three times in one year and she didn't have much problem getting it back on the road. All 3 times, it wasn't her fault.

1st time:
                          On Christmas eve, an illegal ran a red light and hit her. Of course, he didn't have insurance.
                          They totaled it and cut her a check for $4200.
                          She bought it back for $800 and it cost her another $2100 to get it fixed. You couldn't tell it had been wrecked.

2nd time:
                          A few months later, she was sitting at a red light. There was a cop sitting behind her. Someone plowed into the cop and his car hit hers.
                          They totaled it again and cut her a check for $4200.
                          She bought it back for $800. This time, she didn't get it fixed because it just push the back hatch in and made it difficult to open and close.

3rd time:
                          A hail storm beat it up.
                          They totaled it again, but they only gave her $800 since she didn't get it repaired after the last total.

She drove that thing for a few more years after that.
                          Last edited by line-em-up; 01-28-2016, 11:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by snacksnack View Post
                            you really think that the insurance co goes down to the tax office and transfers the title?
                            "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
                              you really think that the insurance co goes down to the tax office and transfers the title?
                              No, they just mail it in! Fuck if I know at that point what they do but when I have bought salvage title cars from the insurance auction it has had insurance company name on it. They have to get the salvage/rebuild-able stamp on there as well so weather it was ever transferred into the insurance name or not you still have to file for the the new title to get tags and what not right?

Comment

Working...
                              X