Rant on expensive parts on cheap cars.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by broke again View Post
    i have been getting zero auto knowledge at the parts store for over 15 years so i think we are there...
    Lol you're not lying at most places, but there is to some level a degree of accountability you wouldn't receive from walmart

Comment

• I buy most of my shit from Rock Auto because they have pictures of everything, multiple brands and a lot of hard to find stuff. I don't need any real auto parts expertise, I research everything thoroughly first. When it comes to electrical and connectors, I get those from Mouser. Hardware from Home Depot or Elliot's.
      Originally posted by racrguy
      What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
      Originally posted by racrguy
      Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

• Originally posted by sdun View Post
        I worked at Mesquite about then. Paul was manager and John was the asst.
        I can't even remember most of their names. I worked the counter at Buckner, but I worked the service department in Mesquite and Garland. Wayne was service advisor, then Stan. Later Forrest. In Garland was this arrogant Iranian guy that would act like your best friend one moment and would just as soon cut your throat the next. I do remember some good guys that worked in Garland, but I can't remember their names. One guy was a tiny Cambodian dude that for some reason has a smoking hot blonde wife. Another guy was a tall Pino that drove a very nice unmolested 70 Chevelle. The two of them had some game they would go around and try to grab one another's junk. Thankfully I wasn't in on that game. It was funny though. One time, the little dude was all bent over crawled up under a hood and the tall dude walked behind and reached up and popped him in the nuts. The little guy hit his head under the hood and dropped his wrench and started cussing in Cambodian.
        Last edited by Frank; 01-24-2016, 08:20 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gasser64 View Post
          Even on one that's $300 or more? Damn

Yes becaue the parts are not available. That would mean I would have to make the case gasket, hope I cn somehow make the square o-rings for it and then locate the bearings and hope the impeller shaft isnt worn down. After all that the labor would more than double and its no longer financially feasable when it costs just as much to half ass rebuild it as it would to just buy a new unit.
          Good judgment comes from bad decisions and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Comment

• I'm sure you have to turn in a core, but in the event that you could keep 2 or 3 (hopefully more) on hand, perhaps parts could be scavenged to rebuild ones that come in needing replaced on a vehicle. Obviously not with that crank you were talking about but with other things with multiple parts such as that water pump.

Yeah I know I'm probably dreaming here, but still. I despise their crooked ways and like to try and scheme up ways to defeat them.
            WH

Comment

I'm sure you have to turn in a core, but in the event that you could keep 2 or 3 (hopefully more) on hand, perhaps parts could be scavenged to rebuild ones that come in needing replaced on a vehicle. Obviously not with that crank you were talking about but with other things with multiple parts such as that water pump.

Yeah I know I'm probably dreaming here, but still. I despise their crooked ways and like to try and scheme up ways to defeat them.

There are specialty shops that do such things, but I doubt the 33 year old single mom is willing to leave her only mode of transportation at his shop for 3 days to have a part rebuilt. Saving $100 on a part means nothing if you have to go 3 days without a car. And that's exactly how autoparts stores and dealers make their money.

Comment

• Originally posted by 4king View Post
                The better question,

If walmart sold autoparts, price matched, and delivered them at 5% less than your parts source but had ZERO auto knowledge would they be your sole provider? Or do you expect a high level of service with a part

Walmart had been dabbling with selling autoparts and realistically could put every parts store out of buisness. Would you care or not really
                you want me to answer that?
                "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

• Originally posted by 4king View Post
                  There are specialty shops that do such things, but I doubt the 33 year old single mom is willing to leave her only mode of transportation at his shop for 3 days to have a part rebuilt. Saving $100 on a part means nothing if you have to go 3 days without a car. And that's exactly how autoparts stores and dealers make their money.
                  I'd have to say that I don't think walmart could begin to put good places out of business. I mean, we've all seen how they operate. They're too damn incompetent to even make money on parts. Their own ineptitude would have people going elsewhere, and they'd eventually be forced to get out of it. Just like you see so many of their stores doing, with various departments that they royally suck at. I think there is a reason they've toyed with the idea, but never acted on it. Its too much for them and they know it.

They hire people who think engine oil is a byproduct, for cryin out loud.
                  WH

Comment

I'd have to say that I don't think walmart could begin to put good places out of business. I mean, we've all seen how they operate. They're too damn incompetent to even make money on parts. Their own ineptitude would have people going elsewhere, and they'd eventually be forced to get out of it. Just like you see so many of their stores doing, with various departments that they royally suck at. I think there is a reason they've toyed with the idea, but never acted on it. Its too much for them and they know it.

They hire people who think engine oil is a byproduct, for cryin out loud.

yeah, i think we have all seen how they operate. the 6 heirs of the walmart fortune hold more wealth than almost 50 percent of the american public as a whole. yeah, they dont know what the fuck they are doing....

Comment

• And you think that somehow qualifies them to sell more than diapers and dish soap?

If their tire lube express is any indication at all, they have no business at all with autoparts. Being the white trash king isn't really saying much. It just says you're the white trash king.
                      WH

Comment

Working...
                      X