Rant on expensive parts on cheap cars.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
    thanks a lot asshole! I thought my questions were brilliant! ill just go see matt on preston now lol

I also bought blades yesterday! ill be back without a receipt!! haha
    You won't give me wiper blades for free?!!!! I'm never shopping here again! What do you mean I need a receipt, are you calling me a liar! I bought them from you and that guy over there put them on my car. You were here that day too don't you remember me? It's that silver camry outside remember?

I do have regular customers who work on cars that really make it fun to work there. I genuinely enjoy talking about cars and giving people advice but 90 percent of the people who come in are asking for a code read and then ask what an oxygen sensor is. I mean it's a 97 cavalier with 230k miles and you are 43 years old, how has this never come up before now, I mean I just can't even

Comment

you make me laugh.
      "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
        you make me laugh.
        You make me hesitant to post on this website. But where else do I get to talk to a large group of people who all share common interests. So I keep coming back to vent about work. Sometimes I feel like AL bundy telling shoe stories about fat women

Comment

Originally posted by LaserSVT View Post
          Makes sense.

I don't see this issue with Ford save for a few parts like Mustang tail lights or computer systems but general stuff like water pumps and such I can get. GM and Dodge have so many parts on their under 5 year old vehicles that I can ONLY get at the dealer. Just like this water pump for a 2013 Malibu. Nobody local even had a listing for it. Just happened that the dealer has many in stock.

And again with KIA. Their AC systems use a very odd o-ring size throughout the system. I have thousands of O-rings to fit anything out there. Except a damn KIA. Always have to order directly from them. Some of them they wont sell by themselves too. The passenger side near a service port the pipe is split and couples together. The o-ring in it is prone to leak. You can only get the o-ring with the $70 hose.
          I feel the same way and have the same questions about this. The question is usually something like "..WTF?!!" lol. Have you considered getting creative? I thought about just trying to modify the part where I only had to replace the broken piece. Of course that's not going to work all the time, but you never know. One example that comes to mind, is one of my Grandfather's employees. He's an illegal. Grandpaw had a radiator die in his newer F350.

They got the radiator out, and the guy was asking him why he had to buy a new radiator, instead of just replacing the cracked outer edge (forgot what its called). He said that in mexico, most of the time when there is a radiator leak, they just go get that outer part and replace it, cause it was usually what is leaking. Guess you could say they "rebuild" the radiator. Is this impossible with the parts you're talking about? Maybe some of them could be fixed instead of just going and buying a new one. I'm always trying to figure out ways to do this myself lol. Just curious if anyone else has had much luck. I know that would be standard mechanic's procedure, but I'm just referring to the parts you'd already sort of given up on.

Originally posted by Mach1 View Post
          making extended warranties look awfully good
          Had only bad luck on my old GT, so I tried to talk the 'ol lady out of getting one when she bought a newer used toyota. I was surprised when they actually paid for $680 for the replacement of both front struts. They died and started making some noise.
          Last edited by Gasser64; 01-21-2016, 04:30 PM.
          WH

Comment

Originally posted by 4king View Post
            You won't give me wiper blades for free?!!!! I'm never shopping here again! What do you mean I need a receipt, are you calling me a liar! I bought them from you and that guy over there put them on my car. You were here that day too don't you remember me? It's that silver camry outside remember?

I do have regular customers who work on cars that really make it fun to work there. I genuinely enjoy talking about cars and giving people advice but 90 percent of the people who come in are asking for a code read and then ask what an oxygen sensor is. I mean it's a 97 cavalier with 230k miles and you are 43 years old, how has this never come up before now, I mean I just can't even
            I'm in the restaurant/bar biz so I can totally feel your pain on shitty customers.. There's seriously a shitload of rude, cheap and ignorant fucks out there.. Then again I have some really awesome patrons too!
            "PSH!!!"

Comment

You make me hesitant to post on this website. But where else do I get to talk to a large group of people who all share common interests. So I keep coming back to vent about work. Sometimes I feel like AL bundy telling shoe stories about fat women
              have you thought about just not being a fucking idiot?
              "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

u mad bro???

BTW, what's an oxygen sensor?

Comment

Originally posted by Gasser64 View Post
                  I feel the same way and have the same questions about this. The question is usually something like "..WTF?!!" lol. Have you considered getting creative? I thought about just trying to modify the part where I only had to replace the broken piece. Of course that's not going to work all the time, but you never know. One example that comes to mind, is one of my Grandfather's employees. He's an illegal. Grandpaw had a radiator die in his newer F350.

They got the radiator out, and the guy was asking him why he had to buy a new radiator, instead of just replacing the cracked outer edge (forgot what its called). He said that in mexico, most of the time when there is a radiator leak, they just go get that outer part and replace it, cause it was usually what is leaking. Guess you could say they "rebuild" the radiator. Is this impossible with the parts you're talking about? Maybe some of them could be fixed instead of just going and buying a new one. I'm always trying to figure out ways to do this myself lol. Just curious if anyone else has had much luck. I know that would be standard mechanic's procedure, but I'm just referring to the parts you'd already sort of given up on.

Had only bad luck on my old GT, so I tried to talk the 'ol lady out of getting one when she bought a newer used toyota. I was surprised when they actually paid for $680 for the replacement of both front struts. They died and started making some noise.
                  Radiators are sooooo cheap that it does not pay to fix one. We are $75 an hour and if it takes two hours to do it then that's more than the $130 radiator.
                  Good judgment comes from bad decisions and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Comment

Yeah but that was really just an example. I mean have you ever really tried fixing these parts that your OP was about. Just may be able to pull it off, who knows
                    WH

Comment

I'm of the small group that wants a part in my hand locally from a person I can count on, not online big stores with shipping times and return issues. But I'm old fashioned and in the minority apparently. I'll even pay more if lit means I can have a dependable parts guy and can pick it up that day.

Some parts I don't mind the wait but for simple shit, there should be one on hand locally, every time.

Comment

Dude, you should learn to use discretion with these folks coming into your store. It doesn't always benefit you to share your knowledge...in fact in never benefits you in that setting. Play stupid, let them figure it out. I know they don't pay you enough to deal with that shit. Bite your tongue and laugh about it later. Do share with us regardless of the asshats on here, it's good for you and entertainment for us!

Comment

Originally posted by Gasser64 View Post
                          Yeah but that was really just an example. I mean have you ever really tried fixing these parts that your OP was about. Just may be able to pull it off, who knows
                          Oh there have been many parts i have repaired or re-engineered due to cost or no longer available. But most new cars are not setup in a way to allow that and you just become a parts changer. Its a waste of time to change bearings and seals in a water pump. Its a waste of time and money to even rebuild a caliper save for the exotic stuff.
                          Cars really are throw aways now. Like take a Chevy Equinox for example. The reluctor ring for the CPS is part of the crank and not a slide on/off part like every other car. They are known to come lose though and then the vehicle wont start. You cant just replace the ring, you have to tear down the engine and replace the crank.
                          Originally posted by Baba Ganoush View Post
                          I'm of the small group that wants a part in my hand locally from a person I can count on, not online big stores with shipping times and return issues. But I'm old fashioned and in the minority apparently. I'll even pay more if lit means I can have a dependable parts guy and can pick it up that day.

Some parts I don't mind the wait but for simple shit, there should be one on hand locally, every time.
                          I warranty everything I do so thats my biggest reason for getting locally and paying a bit more. I have an AC compressor fail 3 months latter and the customers car isnt down for a week while I await parts. I have a new one delivered within 15 minutes. We are well known for minimal down time and that keeps our word of mouth strong so its worth the extra money.
                          Plus I do so much buisiness with the local guys that they never give me issues on parts exchange and never charge me cores. Plus they give me deals on stuff from time to time like all 8 plugs for my Audi for under $8.
                          Good judgment comes from bad decisions and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Comment

Exactly. Believe it or not there are good folks in the local parts houses that make a wrench turner's job that much easier. They are rare, but they're out there. I don't mind spending more $$$ with them. That relationship is key.

Buying online is always a crap shoot. You can't sell me on any convince or savings. If it works out and I save a little (which is less than 25 percent of the time) I am genuinely surprised, but everyone seems to think it's the go-to for anything, especially pricing. They're naive to the impersonal experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Baba Ganoush View Post
                              Exactly. Believe it or not there are good folks in the local parts houses that make a wrench turner's job that much easier. They are rare, but they're out there. I don't mind spending more $$$ with them. That relationship is key.

Buying online is always a crap shoot. You can't sell me on any convince or savings. If it works out and I save a little (which is less than 25 percent of the time) I am genuinely surprised, but everyone seems to think it's the go-to for anything, especially pricing. They're naive to the impersonal experience.
                              I would actually prefer to do all of my buying online, and do so whenever possible. There are indeed some good folks at parts houses, but in my area they are (unfortunately) only to be found at the Ford dealership.

One of my memorable experiences at one of the now defunct Gateway Auto Supply outlets was when the young counter boy, when asked for a certain part for a early 70's model Mustang, replied "is that a Ford or a Chevy?" lol.

Comment

My $300 metro that I have owned for 12 years. $188 for a map sensor

Comment

Working...
                                X