Student Loans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Student Loans

My wife has decided she wants to go back and get her masters. Will be a multi year situation. We can make it by paying it off each semester but it does skinny us up a bit. Are there 0% student loans while the student is still enrolled with no early prepayment penalty? Would be good to put it on there and pay it off in chunks every few months, but give us the availability to still put some cash into savings at the same time. Just not sure where to even start these days!

Any federal direct student loan or grad plus loan is like that.

You're not on the hook to pay until 6 months after graduation, but interest accrues along the way. You can pay as little or much as you want while in class with no penalty. Her bursar or financial aid dept should be able to confirm that and get her setup.

Comment

Charge away. The key is staying 1/2 time enrolled. No repayment. System defeated.

Comment

School 4 lyfe!!!

Comment

I had some in grad school that did not accrue interest while I was in school. Subsidized vs unsubsidized.
          Originally posted by davbrucas
          I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean88gt View Post
            Charge away. The key is staying 1/2 time enrolled. No repayment. System defeated.
            Or do 10 years of "public service". Start up a 501c, call yourself a full time employee and after 10 years fill out the PSLF paperwork and they are forgiven.

Comment

FASFA too
              Putting warheads on foreheads since 2004

Pro-Touring Build

Comment

Whatever you do, don't do what my wife's parent's did to her.

They made too much money to qualify for gubment loans, but daddy didn't want to pay out of pocket, so they went and took out 3 private student loans through Chase and now we're on the hook for 75K with a variable apr and no way to consolidate the loans into one.

So ~$1200 a mo. goes to these loans.

Oh and it just so happens that her parent's were building a house while all this took place, but we've been assured that none of the student loan money went into the house
                G'Day Mate

Comment

Or have her work a full time job with tuition reimbursement and get 80+% paid by them, at least that's what I did. I ended up out of pocket $1000 of the tuition and all of the cost of books for my MBA.

Comment

Also watch your taxes. If you file jointly the repayment schedule will be based on your combined income.

You should be able to pay the interest on the loans while still in school so at least they won't grow.

Comment

Originally posted by Strychnine View Post
                      Any federal direct student loan or grad plus loan is like that.

You're not on the hook to pay until 6 months after graduation, but interest accrues along the way. You can pay as little or much as you want while in class with no penalty. Her bursar or financial aid dept should be able to confirm that and get her setup.
                      My wife just got approved for a student loan and the government pics up the interest until she is done with school. So no payments until 6 months after she is done and no penalty for paying off early. You reapply every year and can get more money. Have her go talk to the financial aid department at her school, they can help her with everything.

Comment

Originally posted by zachary View Post
                        My wife, has decided, she wants to go back and get her masters. Will be a multi year situation. We can make it by paying it off each semester but it does skinny us up a bit. Are there 0% student loans while the student is still enrolled with no early prepayment penalty? Would be good to put it on there and pay it off in chunks every few months, but give us the availability to still put some cash into savings at the same time. Just not sure where to even start these days!

Heres how I read your post: dear dfwmustangs.net readers, my wife who has no job currently told me to go further into debt so that she can get her masters degree. What should I do?

I'm really glad you asked it like that, because unless she is getting her master chefs degree you will never see that money again. The best way to help your wife is to let her put all of the student loans in her name and to get divorced. Hopefully you two have multiple children and can claim WiC benefits and other single mother advantages such as food stamps and Obama care. So to conclude,
                        Step 1: divorce
                        Step2: Obama care
                        Step:3 masters degree
                        Step4: ?????
                        Step5: profit

But seriously, single women with children receive huge benefits from the government. I think nay nay made a thread about how to live off of the government a while back

You did ask the best way to minimize debt

Comment

I wonder how much money in student loans will never be paid back?

Comment

Originally posted by 4king View Post
                            Heres how I read your post: dear dfwmustangs.net readers, my wife who has no job currently told me to go further into debt so that she can get her masters degree. What should I do?

I'm really glad you asked it like that, because unless she is getting her master chefs degree you will never see that money again. The best way to help your wife is to let her put all of the student loans in her name and to get divorced. Hopefully you two have multiple children and can claim WiC benefits and other single mother advantages such as food stamps and Obama care. So to conclude,

But seriously, single women with children receive huge benefits from the government. I think nay nay made a thread about how to live off of the government a while back

did you ask your wife to give you that plan before posting, autozone boy?
                            "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by 4king View Post

Nice try, but no.

My wife whom works two jobs on her own accord currently, has a 11 month old, and works out daily - wants to go back to school for 2-3 years to get her masters while maintaining all the previously stated duties, so she can make almost double what she makes now. More than likely she will finish with very little to minimum debt(less than 5K i am guessing). That is due to the two jobs while in school and the fact she already makes good money. We just want something to be there if we need it from time to time over the next few years.

Comment

Working...
                              X