The Mowhawk - Austin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Mowhawk - Austin

My cousins band is playing a show there on the 20th and ill probably go spend the weekend down there. Anyone been there before? Any places i need to see or grub at close by?

I always hit up the Jackalope when I'm in town.

Comment

Hula Hut, Home Slice, Texas Chili Parlor, Trudies, Guerros Taco Bar, The Continental Club....

Comment

Is the Hula Hut back up and running yet?

Comment

Jackalope has good burgers and pizzas. If you want a nice dinner, I recommend Lambert's downtown BBQ. Food is fantastic, but you'll drop some coin. It's white tablecloth BBQ, so it's different. Hit up Magnolia Cafe for after hours drunken dining. Really, there is fantastic food all over the place in Austin. The indie attitude really promotes great food choices. Don't be afraid to order from a street vendor. As for bars, throw a rock in any direction. 6 is a club owned by Lance Armstrong. Cool place, rooftop bar, lots of fine ass.
          Originally posted by BradM
          But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
          Originally posted by Leah
          In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

I prefer Kirbey Lane to Magnolia Cafe for my drunken dining. Lambert's is amazing, though. I second that recommendation.
            We try to stay off 6th Street, with the exception of the Jackalope, but there's a great little dive on 5th called Don's Depot that has a great, funky atmosphere.

Comment

Originally posted by Muffrazr View Post
              Is the Hula Hut back up and running yet?
              Hula Hut is open, they just have the pier closed.

Comment

another vote for Hula Hut.

Comment

Polvos! Great Mexican food for cheap. It's different than the typical Mexican food you'll find. Get the Fajitas Guajilla.

Comment

Magnolia Cafe is the shit!

Comment

What part of town are you gonna stay in? I can give better recommendations based on that.

Originally posted by ComeAgainJen View Post
                      there's a great little dive on 5th called Don's Depot that has a great, funky atmosphere.
                      X2

Donn's is where we'd go after getting off shift at El Arroyo (the original, food is decent, and way better than the franchise locations up here). Great bartenders, atmosphere, and killer music (piano bar/sing-along most nights).

Trudy's has GREAT tex-mex food and great drinks. There's a location not too far from that club, by UT campus (30th & Guadalupe-ish). It's severely undersized, but you won't be disappointed. If you're staying south, there's another location right on 35 at Stassney (little texas lane). If you're staying north, there's a location on Burnet Rd., which is right by Mo-Pac and 183. This is by far the best location, staff-wise.

6th street is ok, just to say you've done it, but I used to work down there and it gets old really quick. 5th street is a little older, less-rowdy crowd...more sports bars, pub-type joints, etc.

Never tried Lambert's BBQ, but plan on it next time I'm there. Don't go to County Line, Salt Lick, or any of those places for BBQ. You can get the same exact stuff up here, with the same hit-or-miss consistency and poor service. Go to Iron Works at 1st (Cesar Chavez) and I-35, Vic's on Ben White Blvd, few blocks east of 35, etc.

Comment

Ditto on the Trudy's recommendations.

Comment

What happened to The Hula Hut? I love that place.

Comment

Kerbey lane
                            Trudy's
                            Salt lick BBQ - awesome ribs

As mentioned 6th street is fun one night, but I like the less crowded bars off of 6th. Usually we end up going where ever there is decent live music...

Comment

S Congress is where it's at.

Comment

Working...
                              X