Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What size welder for heavy equipment repairs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What size welder for heavy equipment repairs?

Im going to be getting a a new service truck and Im looking at welder/generators. Im mainly going to be using it as a generator but will occasionally hard face, repair cracks, and replace broken off teeth. Would I need anything larger than a 225amp machine?

How thick is the material? What type of material? Stick or mig?

Comment

Just get a Miller bobcat 225, you'll be fine. They have skyrocketed in price over the last 10 years though.
      The Miller Trailblazer 325 EFI Kohler Welder/Generator offers innovative technology designed for the professional welder. Unbeatable arc performance, the smoothest, most stable arc in the industry and an independent welder and generator power system make the Trailblazer an excellent choice for heavy industrial applicat

Usually some deals on craigs. Just watch the hours.

Comment

Should be plenty of lightly used pipeliner machines out there

Comment

Originally posted by Matt View Post
          How thick is the material? What type of material? Stick or mig?
          I'm guessing MIG...

Comment

that type of work i wouldnt want the hassle of a mig gun. turn and burn!

Comment

Originally posted by one slow 5.0 View Post
              Should be plenty of lightly used pipeliner machines out there
              The problem is they are all trying to pay off their Raptors with the proceeds of the sale. I've been looking for a Bobcat 225 as well.
              Originally posted by BradM
              But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
              Originally posted by Leah
              In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Red face lincoln..
                07 GT500
                05 SRT10
                88 turbocoupe T-bird
                93 Cobra
                86 coupe
                Ducati 848

Comment

Mainly stick. The most common job I get asked to do is weld teeth back on buckets and hard facing so the material is 1-2"thick. The other stuff is cracks in buckets or cracks in general. Ill also use it to weld lifting bungs onto things I need to pull off/install. I was looking at a Lincoln Ranger 225. Couple hundred cheaper than a bobcat and they have a free torch rebate when you buy a new one. The only thing different I can see in the Miller and Lincoln is that the Miller does ac/dc. But I dont think Iv ever used ac to stick weld anything so Im not sure thats a selling point.
                  Im approved for a loan on new crane service truck and a welder. But the company I got the loan from wont cut me a check for a machine that an indiviual has. It has to be a business that they can send the check to. I wouldnt mind buying a used machine at all but the ones Iv seen that are in good shape cost around $3000 and for $400 more I can get a brand new machine with warranty. Unless someone knows where a good used one at a company is?

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                    The problem is they are all trying to pay off their Raptors with the proceeds of the sale. I've been looking for a Bobcat 225 as well.
                    I've never seen a pipeliner with a raptor. They all have jacked up dually diesel rigs.

Comment

Originally posted by mk5.0 View Post

Red face lincoln..
                      That was every guy I had working for me...

Comment

Bigger Welder

Those little air cooled welders won't hold up long. Get a 300 amp to do the job right. I spent a decade fixing heavy equipment.

Comment

Working...
                        X