Anyone here firefighters?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone here firefighters?

Been thinking heavily about joining, I have a civil service exam coming up for Dallas Fire Rescue in February. I would really like to work in/for Fort Worth, but don't know when they will be hiring again. Anyone want to shoot me a pm so I can pick your brain?
    ازدهار رأسه برعشيت

Originally posted by matts5.0 View Post
    Been thinking heavily about joining, I have a civil service exam coming up for Dallas Fire Rescue in February. I would really like to work in/for Fort Worth, but don't know when they will be hiring again. Anyone want to shoot me a pm so I can pick your brain?
    PM away.
    18 years Fort Worth FD.
    LT. at Station 7, Swiftwater Rescue/SCUBA Recovery as well as an Engine Company.

Comment

Originally posted by 90MarkVII View Post
      PM away.
      18 years Fort Worth FD.
      LT. at Station 7, Swiftwater Rescue/SCUBA Recovery as well as an Engine Company.
      Yes Sir. PMs inbound shortly.
      ازدهار رأسه برعشيت

Comment

Do it... you will only regret it if you don't.

Be ready to be told no over and over again... but hey that's part of it when you compete against thousands of applicants for 100 jobs.

I'm not in the Dallas area but know that FWFD has big issues with their pension and it being underfunded. I will say that you don't do the job for the money but the pension is a big deal. Austin FD has one of the best pensions I've ever heard of. You pay in alot but can retire early which is good in a job that wears you down physically more so than most jobs. Lots of job availability in Texas if you have your Paramedic.

Comment

do it. pay does not matter as long as you follow your calling. seriously.

pay does matter to an extent, don't get me wrong... but follow your heart and what makes you happy. you cant take any material crap with you to the other side when you die.

just sayin.

Comment

Originally posted by BoostedD1 View Post
            do it. pay does not matter as long as you follow your calling. seriously.
            Very true.

And yeah, that FW pension is fucked - I've referenced it once or twice here.
            Originally posted by davbrucas
            I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

I'm going for it. It's a long drawn out process that's for sure!
              ازدهار رأسه برعشيت

Comment

Originally posted by matts5.0 View Post
                I'm going for it. It's a long drawn out process that's for sure!
                Best of luck!
                Originally posted by davbrucas
                I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

Good luck!

Comment

Comment

You goin union dog?

Comment

Originally posted by akfodysvn View Post
                        Do it... you will only regret it if you don't.

Be ready to be told no over and over again... but hey that's part of it when you compete against thousands of applicants for 100 jobs.

I'm not in the Dallas area but know that FWFD has big issues with their pension and it being underfunded. I will say that you don't do the job for the money but the pension is a big deal. Austin FD has one of the best pensions I've ever heard of. You pay in alot but can retire early which is good in a job that wears you down physically more so than most jobs. Lots of job availability in Texas if you have your Paramedic.
                        Without getting into too much of a political discussion, the FWFD pension is just fine and it is not underfunded. Certain political entities within the governing body and City Council have (as usual) used half truths and misrepresented facts to further their own agenda.
                        DO NOT believe everything you read in the Fort Worth Startlegram.
                        This is my last public comment on this matter in any forum.

I will agree that Austin has a fantastic pension and a fantastic Department.

And the statement about regretting it if you don't try is spot on.
                        Last edited by 90MarkVII; 01-12-2016, 10:24 PM.

Comment

I take it back. Money doesn't mean squat. follow your dream. best of luck to ya.

i'm a former emt. I should have moved forward instead of pursuing the green. ya know there are many unhappy people that think about this very topic when its too late... it gives someone something to think about especially when you have buzz kills running around...

best of luck to ya.

Comment

I thought about being a cop once.

Comment

Originally posted by Tremor14 View Post
                              I thought about being a cop once.
                              Being in the back of a squad car doesn't make you a cop.
                              I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

Working...
                              X