Alaska?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jluv View Post
    We ARE into seclusion, wildlife, forests, mountains, national parks, fishing, hiking, rafting, etc. if it were just me, I'd charter a puddle jumper to drop me off with some gear in the middle of nowhere and pick me up a week later, BUT that's not gonna fly with the old lady. So we'd like to do the off the beaten path, rugged, wilderness thing and see some of the natural scenery and wildlife, but end the nights with badass meals and a quiet, luxury room with a view, if that's even possible. We might have to meet somewhere in the middle on some things, but we definitely want to see grizzly bears in the wild, and I definitely plan to spend a day fishing with a guide... I definitely do not want to spend any measurable amount of time driving or even sitting in a fucking car.
    Obvious question is obvious, but can't you do all of that from your house? lol
    When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

Originally posted by 46Tbird View Post
      Obvious question is obvious, but can't you do all of that from your house? lol
      Most of it, yes. And it's great up here, but AK is CO on steroids. You can drag race in a stock Mustang and have a decent time, but you'd still love to take a trip down that same strip in a top fuel dragster, right?

Plus, there are no grizzlies in CO.
      Last edited by jluv; 01-13-2016, 10:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chili View Post
        My niece and her husband are professional fishing guides up there (they have their own company). Both for ocean and river fishing. They are out of Soldotna (Kenai Peninsula). They can also arrange a place to stay (including a large cabin they operate). If that is something you are interested in let me know and I will get you their contact info.

Edit.. I just sent you an invite to "Like" their page. If you inquire, make sure to let them know you are my friend (Mindy is my niece).. The great thing about the summer up there is the days are long. And their website: http://www.widespreadfishing.com/
        Thanks dude. I'll check it out. In fairness to Tiff, I don't want to make the trip revolve around fishing. A half day would be enough.

Comment

Thanks dude. I'll check it out. In fairness to Tiff, I don't want to make the trip revolve around fishing. A half day would be enough.
          For sure.. They do short trips as well, if you happen to be in their area.

Comment

my folks went on a cruise to Alaska, said it was amazing.

god bless.
            It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by ELVIS View Post
              my folks went on a cruise to Alaska, said it was amazing.

god bless.
              I will absolutely do an Alaskan cruise eventually. Probably when I'm old and wrinkled. My grandparents have done one and loved it. I picture it being mostly a bingo crowd, though.

Comment

my grandparents towed a travel trailer behind a van to Alaska from Arkansas, stayed a month up there.
                "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
                  my grandparents towed a travel trailer behind a van to Alaska from Arkansas, stayed a month up there.
                  My dad has pulled his 5th Wheel camper up there 5 or 6 times and stayed anywhere between 4 and 6 weeks. Of course, he starts from a little further north (on the WA / OR border). They drive like 5-6 hours a day and 'camp' all the way up. They stay in the town where my niece's business is and he usually goes along for free whenever they have an extra spot on a boat.

He usually comes back with a good 100lbs of fish filet (Halibut and Salmon mainly)

Comment

My dad has pulled his 5th Wheel camper up there 5 or 6 times and stayed anywhere between 4 and 6 weeks. Of course, he starts from a little further north (on the WA / OR border). They drive like 5-6 hours a day and 'camp' all the way up. They stay in the town where my niece's business is and he usually goes along for free whenever they have an extra spot on a boat.

He usually comes back with a good 100lbs of fish filet (Halibut and Salmon mainly)
                    yeah, they decided after my grandfather retired that they wanted to go to alaska, and since my grandmother refused to fly, they bought a travel trailer and hit the road with another retired couple. They didnt head straight to alaska, they "road tripped" a bit on the way there and back, and then spent a month in alaska. I remember my grandfather telling me how they put over 10k miles on their van on that trip. I want to say that was in ~95, and it was an 82 ford e150 conversion van pulling a 28' travel trailer.
                    "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

...they put over 10k miles on their van on that trip. I want to say that was in ~95, and it was an 82 ford e150 conversion van pulling a 28' travel trailer.
                      Holy shit!

Comment

My cousin did the same thing, but ended up staying for years. Bought an RV park, etc.

He works for Dell and got called back to Austin though. Just got back a couple months ago.
                        Originally posted by BradM
                        But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                        Originally posted by Leah
                        In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Holy shit!
                          Hell, it's over 5,000 miles round trip for my dad, and he's less than 300 miles from Canada.

Comment

Hell, it's over 5,000 miles round trip for my dad, and he's less than 300 miles from Canada.
                            I'm mostly impressed that they pulled that much weight for so many miles with an '82 Ford conversion van. Sounds crazy to me.

Comment

I'm mostly impressed that they pulled that much weight for so many miles with an '82 Ford conversion van. Sounds crazy to me.
                              True.. My dad has a Ram 3500.

Comment

They shouldnt have, he immediately went to the ford dealer and ordered an F250 when he got back. I couldnt believe that they didnt get a truck before the trip, they already had over 200k on the van. He was the kind of guy that drove vehicles forever. When he retired from the service, he drove a pinto with well over 400k on it, 3 motors, etc.

Comment

Working...
                                X