Alaska?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alaska?

Anyone here been on a kickass Alaskan vacation?

We've got two tickets on AA to anywhere in the US except Hawaii (but AK is included), so we're probably going to go there this summer.

We are NOT into history, buildings, zoos, aquariums, night life, big cities, lots of people, etc.

We ARE into seclusion, wildlife, forests, mountains, national parks, fishing, hiking, rafting, etc. if it were just me, I'd charter a puddle jumper to drop me off with some gear in the middle of nowhere and pick me up a week later, BUT that's not gonna fly with the old lady. So we'd like to do the off the beaten path, rugged, wilderness thing and see some of the natural scenery and wildlife, but end the nights with badass meals and a quiet, luxury room with a view, if that's even possible. We might have to meet somewhere in the middle on some things, but we definitely want to see grizzly bears in the wild, and I definitely plan to spend a day fishing with a guide.

I've just started doing some of my own research, but there is so much out there. I have never been, and don't have a clue on where to start. I guess most people fly into Anchorage? I definitely do not want to spend any measurable amount of time driving or even sitting in a fucking car.

Post up if you have been and done things like I mentioned, and recommendations for places, guides, packages, etc to get me started.

Oh, and a cruise is probably not an option, unless it hits on all of the things I mentioned and is just too badass to pass up. The old lady has already started whining about being on a boat for an extended period of time.

Thanks in advance!

You know Ashley will be all about the cruise boat.
    Originally posted by PGreenCobra
    I can't get over the fact that you get to go live the rest of your life, knowing that someone made a Halloween costume out of you. LMAO!!
    Originally posted by Trip McNeely
    Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy
    dont downshift!!
    Go do a whooly in front of a Peterbilt.

Comment

Do the cruise/train tour through Denali if you wanna see it all. Then decide what else you want to go back for..Been on a few cruises up there. Good times
      The wife shops a lot on cruiseshopping.com .
      Last edited by dcs13; 01-11-2016, 07:17 PM. Reason: added link

Comment

Denali is so awesome but unless you hike it you have to take a bus tour. We did the kantishna experience which is a smaller bus holds maybe 24 people but our bus was only half full. The entire trip was about 13 hours. They take you all the way to the end of the road ~93 miles with plenty of stops for wildlife and scenery viewing. Lunch and snacks are provided and you can also bring extras.
        BARBIE LOVES BULLITT991 3.17.07
        I'm a Barbie girl...In my Barbie world...
        PROUD OWNER: '04 AZURE BLUE MACH 1

Comment

I always thought this would be fun. http://www.alaska.org/things-to-do/dog-sledding
          You get to go out and tour on a dog sled. Could be a fun way to kill a few hours while seeing part of Alaska.

Comment

Fly to Anchorage, do a bay cruise, get back and then take the train to Fairbanks, from Fairbanks, easy trip to Denali National Park and lots of off the beaten path stuff.

Comment

Go to Fairbanks, bring some good mushrooms with you, and watch the Northern Lights.

Comment

I spoke with an agent last night and she sent me an itinerary that includes Anchorage, Seward, Denali, with some train, plane, and boat stuff in the mix. Sounds pretty cool. This morning, I have been checking out packages for Kodiak Island, but holy fuck they are expensive. They can get to $20k in a hurry. FUCK THAT!
                Last edited by jluv; 01-12-2016, 07:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jluv View Post
                  I spoke with an agent last night and she sent me an itinerary that includes Anchorage, Seward, Denali, with some train, plane, and boat stuff in the mix. Sounds pretty cool. This morning, I have been checking out packages for Kodiak Island, but holy fuck they are expensive. They can get to $20k in a hurry. FUCK THAT!
                  Museums and history are sounding nicer and nicer, after that price!

Comment

Go to that link I posted...MUCH better prices for the same stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by dcs13 View Post
                      Go to that link I posted...MUCH better prices for the same stuff.
                      Not looking for a cruise this time.

Comment

Not looking for a cruise this time.
                        If what the agent quoted you sounds good go for it. Alaska is a big ass place the corridor between Anchorage and Fairbanks has the best views. Denali is hard to describe how truly big it is. Just be prepared for mosquitos to come at you even if there is snow on the ground. Big ass ones too. Talkitna (sp?) is a cool little town.

Comment

we were debating on going to alaska, but decided to go to iceland instead. Both are fairly reasonable trips

Comment

Originally posted by Couver View Post
                            If what the agent quoted you sounds good go for it. Alaska is a big ass place the corridor between Anchorage and Fairbanks has the best views. Denali is hard to describe how truly big it is. Just be prepared for mosquitos to come at you even if there is snow on the ground. Big ass ones too. Talkitna (sp?) is a cool little town.
                            Her package ended up being 9 days, and had us running nonstop, hitting all kinds of touristy shit. Looking at it, we'd be moving around with crowds of folks everywhere. I told her I could only do 7 days max (taking 5 off of work), and that we want to spend more time in a remote/secluded place away from crowds. I'm thinking we would dig the train ride, but otherwise, what we had in mind would be some kind of remote lodge or cabin as a hub where we could then take some (mostly) private excursions to go do cool shit. I've found a few places like that on my own, but it puts the cost well over $10k for just a week. I was hoping to do this trip for half that much, but I guess I was dreaming. Alaska may have to wait. I don't want to do it half-ass.

Comment

Anyone here been on a kickass Alaskan vacation?

We've got two tickets on AA to anywhere in the US except Hawaii (but AK is included), so we're probably going to go there this summer.

We are NOT into history, buildings, zoos, aquariums, night life, big cities, lots of people, etc.

We ARE into seclusion, wildlife, forests, mountains, national parks, fishing, hiking, rafting, etc. if it were just me, I'd charter a puddle jumper to drop me off with some gear in the middle of nowhere and pick me up a week later, BUT that's not gonna fly with the old lady. So we'd like to do the off the beaten path, rugged, wilderness thing and see some of the natural scenery and wildlife, but end the nights with badass meals and a quiet, luxury room with a view, if that's even possible. We might have to meet somewhere in the middle on some things, but we definitely want to see grizzly bears in the wild, and I definitely plan to spend a day fishing with a guide.

I've just started doing some of my own research, but there is so much out there. I have never been, and don't have a clue on where to start. I guess most people fly into Anchorage? I definitely do not want to spend any measurable amount of time driving or even sitting in a fucking car.

Post up if you have been and done things like I mentioned, and recommendations for places, guides, packages, etc to get me started.

Oh, and a cruise is probably not an option, unless it hits on all of the things I mentioned and is just too badass to pass up. The old lady has already started whining about being on a boat for an extended period of time.

Thanks in advance!
                              My niece and her husband are professional fishing guides up there (they have their own company). Both for ocean and river fishing. They are out of Soldotna (Kenai Peninsula). They can also arrange a place to stay (including a large cabin they operate). If that is something you are interested in let me know and I will get you their contact info.

Edit.. I just sent you an invite to "Like" their page. If you inquire, make sure to let them know you are my friend (Mindy is my niece).. The great thing about the summer up there is the days are long. And their website: http://www.widespreadfishing.com/
                              Last edited by Chili; 01-13-2016, 09:13 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X