Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I see no problems in Odessa.... still lot's of money over here...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I see no problems in Odessa.... still lot's of money over here...

I've been here doing a little side gig all week, and went to get a steak last night at Texas Roadhouse. Hour and a half wait, they said, so we left and went to Saltgrass, same thing..... wound up at Hooters. No wait there...

Places were loaded up with young bucks and their womens, driving large dually trucks, cammed Vettes, peeling out of various parking lots up and down 42nd Street...

Still going strong here? Looks like there's more people than space to cram them all into, especially on payday, which I presume it was based on the happy faces I saw...

Or is it just a fantasy?

Fueled by credit cards, hopes and dreams.

They ain't drilling and they ain't frac'ing that's for sure.

Hit up the used car lots and see if they are over flowing with brodozers. And all the companies with yards stacked full of equipment collecting dust.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
    Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

Comment

Left the oil company I worked for voluntarily about 6 months ago which was in Midland; layoffs every few weeks which meant I was on the road way too much. I still keep in touch with one of the guys I worked with and he said there are still layoffs going on which means the competent people left are taking on 3 or 4 positions for the same or less pay since paycuts hit too. His son and dad lost their jobs in the oil field and he says jobs in the area are sparse except fast food and retail. Things were going downhill when I left that job and from what I gather everything has gotten worse. Like KBS said it is likely fueled by credit cards. Few people in the oil industry save money; they blow through it during booms and struggle during busts, usually on credit cards, and no one in Midland ever seemed to adjust their lifestyle. I grew up there and have witnessed several cycles and it was always the same. Everyone in that region thinks they need 4x4, duallys, or sports cars with car payments usually being equal to or more than their mortgage. I know that is standard for alot of americans but I have lived other places and for some reason Midland/Odessa always seemed much worse about that stuff. Guess they always figured enough money was just sitting beneath their feet.
        I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

I'm sure there are still a decent amount of midstream / water hauler / lease operator jobs still going out there

But yeah alot of people are still living the oilfield life waiting for it to come back

Comment

Originally posted by KBScobravert View Post
            Fueled by credit cards, hopes and dreams.

They ain't drilling and they ain't frac'ing that's for sure.

Hit up the used car lots and see if they are over flowing with brodozers. And all the companies with yards stacked full of equipment collecting dust.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
            I saw a fracing operation going on in Arlington yesterday. First one Iv seen in over a year though.

Comment

The permian basin is one of the focus areas now, so its doing much better than a lot of other areas. They obviously aren't throwing up 2012 numbers, but the people out there i know still make more in the field than i do working in the office.

Also, the field hands may have pissed away money, but i also know a lot of people sitting on cash just waiting for the layoff. There are several people with tens if not hundreds of thousands in cash as a layoff buffer. These people also payed cash for their cars.

Comment

Originally posted by stephen4785 View Post
                I saw a fracing operation going on in Arlington yesterday. First one Iv seen in over a year though.
                Little jobs are all that seems to be out there right now.

We are a few days away from finishing up the last well in a series of continuous work since mid July. Pretty much a well a week as fast as we could rug up, frac it, rig down and move, repeat. No days off in between wells. But after this pad, we are out of wells until mid-late February and even that work will be crumbs and little jobs.
                Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

Well I am installing two large plate rolling machines down here with one of my previous coworkers, just because my ex employer pays me a day rate I cannot turn down, along with all my expenses, and I like to kick it with my old work buddy...

Anyway the company is going to make pressure tanks for gas (vapor)... big fucking ones... and they are spending millions to outfit this shop with Davi plate rollers, robotic plasma cutters, seam welders, etc... and apparently the company has plenty of work line up once they start producing...

Conversely, I found it sad that when I went to the store and there was a guy standing outside with workboots, Carhart pants, and the look of a rigger / floorhand, whatever.... asking for spare change. I actually pulled some money for him and was gonna make sure he didn't have to stand there at least for the rest of that day, but he was gone when I came out.

The waitress at Hooters said she was making 300 buck every day when times were good, but nothing near that now.

My offshore gig has plenty of work right now, with new cranes being commissioned on various boats, as well as inspections, operational support, etc.. but I plan to make myself versatile by getting fully qualified as a controls engineer, and getting an inspector's license, safety officer certified, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post

Also, the field hands may have pissed away money, but i also know a lot of people sitting on cash just waiting for the layoff. There are several people with tens if not hundreds of thousands in cash as a layoff buffer. These people also payed cash for their cars.

Yep, I am prepared for a rainy couple of years if need be. No debt, either.

Comment

Try cancun grill in midland if you want a good steak
                      The hand that feeds, bleeds.

Comment

I don't think i will shed many tears thinking of all the brodozers getting repo'd

Comment

Originally posted by 93LXHORSE View Post
                          Yep, I am prepared for a rainy couple of years if need be. No debt, either.
                          Ive only got a few months (maybe 3-4 at my current salary) set aside, but im also in a role that isnt specific to O&G. I can look at other industries.

I wish i was closer to debt free...but thats still several years off. At least im not saddled with credit card debt and other shit.

Comment

Originally posted by zora04 View Post
                            Try cancun grill in midland if you want a good steak
                            Well I got the heck outta there today! Just got home... but thanks!

Sent from my SM-T817T using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                            X