No announcement yet.

Freezing point of gas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is much more likely that something was leaking onto the generator that would have normally evaporated with out being noticed when it is warmer. I find small leaks in pool equipment because of this.

Latent heat of evaporation also does this but you need a bunch of a liquid turning into a vapor to do it. My RX-7 will frost the intake manifold on the dyno during a 4th gear pull when running on methanol but it goes away in seconds after I lift the throttle. It is surreal to see the exhaust housing glowing so hot that is begins to fluoresce and is so bright that you can't look at it while right above it the intake is icing over.
    Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

No, it was leaking gas. The filter was soaked when I took it off. Still not sure where it came from though.

Maybe it pushed up through the carb trickling out on to the filter? Do small engine carbs have any kind of check valve to prevent this or is that why it has the fuel line shut off valve?
      Last edited by Torinoman; 01-06-2016, 08:03 AM.
      1971 Ford Torino - Time to go bigger and better.

2011 F150 Limited - Stock with a 6.2

Comment

Originally posted by Torinoman View Post
        No, it was leaking gas. The filter was soaked when I took it off. Still not sure where it came from though.

Maybe it pushed up through the carb trickling out on to the filter? Do small engine carbs have any kind of check valve to prevent this or is that why it has the fuel line shut off valve?
        There is no check valve of any sort going to the carb and the carb is normally gravity fed from a tank that is above it. The shut off valve is there so you can turn the fuel off and then drain the carb to keep it from getting gummed up.
        Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Originally posted by Torinoman View Post
          E10 at most from QT. Filled it up and used it all day Sunday.
          Oh ya...durr...got that mixed up in my head. But ethanol in gas sucks in general.
          "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

Originally posted by svo855 View Post
            There is no check valve of any sort going to the carb and the carb is normally gravity fed from a tank that is above it. The shut off valve is there so you can turn the fuel off and then drain the carb to keep it from getting gummed up.
            The fuel line valve was open and the tank was half full. Would fuel just flow through the carb and empty the tank on its own while it's sitting or should I be looking for a leak?
            1971 Ford Torino - Time to go bigger and better.

2011 F150 Limited - Stock with a 6.2

Comment

Boom bitch!!!

Comment

Working...
              X