Freezing point of gas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freezing point of gas

From what I found with Google it's around -40 degrees or something. But I went out to my garage and found a puddle of glass under my generator and frost on the filter cover.

I took this pic after rolling it outside. The puddle under it was much larger than this shows.

What gives? Did it expand and push out gasket? What's with frost? Its only like 40 degrees outside?
    1971 Ford Torino - Time to go bigger and better.

2011 F150 Limited - Stock with a 6.2

It's definitely lower than 40 degrees! Lol

Big ass pic, btw!

Comment

Yeah I dunno how that happened.

Phone said 40 so that's what I went with.

Comment

Probably negative 40...

Comment

Originally posted by Torinoman View Post
          Yeah I dunno how that happened.

Phone said 40 so that's what I went with.
          No, I'm saying the freezing point is definitely lower! That's some weird shit man. I assume you touched it confirming it's frozen and not some chemical reaction or something?

Comment

FWIW, our awesome E85 attracts water. Or perhaps you just had some really bad gas with water in it already?
            "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

Originally posted by GhostTX View Post
              FWIW, our awesome E85 attracts water. Or perhaps you just had some really bad gas with water in it already?
              That's the other thing I thought. But even water shouldn't be frozen! No Stabil?

Comment

Gasoline is made up of many different components and they all evaporate at different temps (some as low as like -40*), with the more volatile parts vaporizing at lower temps. Gasoline is basically in a constant state of evaporation, and evaporation cools things.
                That's why gas feels cold when when get it on your hands.
                The boundary layer on the surface of the leak would cool (to what extent I don't know) and then be in contact with moisture in the air, and humidity today is 60%+ so there's water to freeze.

That's just applying basic science. As for why all leaks don't frost... fuck if I know.
                Last edited by Strychnine; 01-05-2016, 09:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BradM View Post
                  Probably negative 40...
                  That's what I said. Gas freezes at -40 but it's only +40 outside.

Originally posted by Chili View Post
                  No, I'm saying the freezing point is definitely lower! That's some weird shit man. I assume you touched it confirming it's frozen and not some chemical reaction or something?
                  Yeah it was ice.

I wonder if was evaporating and lowering the temp of that plastic and freezing water vapor to it.

Edit: is this what strychnine was getting at?

Comment

Originally posted by Torinoman View Post
                    I wonder if was evaporating and lowering the temp of that plastic and freezing water vapor to it.

Edit: is this what strychnine was getting at?

Yup.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostTX View Post
                      E10 at most from QT. Filled it up and used it all day Sunday.

Comment

Pic trying to show individual molecules?

Comment

Originally posted by Strychnine View Post
                          Gasoline is made up of many different components and they all evaporate at different temps (some as low as like -40*), with the more volatile parts vaporizing at lower temps. Gasoline is basically in a constant state of evaporation, and evaporation cools things.
                          That's why gas feels cold when when get it on your hands.
                          The boundary layer on the surface of the leak would cool (to what extent I don't know) and then be in contact with moisture in the air, and humidity today is 60%+ so there's water to freeze.

That's just applying basic science. As for why all leaks don't frost... fuck if I know.
                          Ok I have a different gas related question for you. Why does gas these days cause my gas can to crumple in? Is it better sealing gas cans or is the gas formulated differently causing this strange occurrence. Two or three of my cans over the last few years have had this strange phenomenon happen. Looks like they are trying to implode until I pull the handle to release the suction.
                          Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by kingjason View Post
                            Ok I have a different gas related question for you. Why does gas these days cause my gas can to crumple in? Is it better sealing gas cans or is the gas formulated differently causing this strange occurrence. Two or three of my cans over the last few years have had this strange phenomenon happen. Looks like they are trying to implode until I pull the handle to release the suction.
                            Thin plastic and the Ideal Gas Law?
                            P1 * (V1/T1) = P2 * (V2/T2)

The easy answer is that you last opened (or closed) it when it was warm outside. If the cap seal is tight, as the temp cools the pressure inside will decrease pulling in the weak plastic walls until you release the cap and equalize the pressure.

Comment

Originally posted by Strychnine View Post
                              Thin plastic and the Ideal Gas Law?
                              P1 * (V1/T1) = P2 * (V2/T2)

The easy answer is that you last opened (or closed) it when it was warm outside. If the cap seal is tight, as the temp cools the pressure inside will decrease pulling in the weak plastic walls until you release the cap and equalize the pressure.

Happens regardless of temps outside. It occurs all the time, hot, cold, whatever. I mean to the point the can looks like that imploding car you posted.
                              Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Working...
                              X