No announcement yet.

China vs US manufacturing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you want permanent tooling to make 5,000 parts, that's a major time and capital investment. As said, the tooling will take 8-12 weeks to get made. China can sometimes be cheaper than the USA for the tooling, but labor, sadly, China is the way to go.

If you want a short run, look into temporary tooling, which is made of less robust material. Outfits like Protolabs do well on that.
    Protolabs is the world’s fastest source for custom prototypes and low-volume production parts. Get an interactive quote with free design analysis within hours.
    "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

Originally posted by GhostTX View Post
      If you want permanent tooling to make 5,000 parts, that's a major time and capital investment. As said, the tooling will take 8-12 weeks to get made. China can sometimes be cheaper than the USA for the tooling, but labor, sadly, China is the way to go.

If you want a short run, look into temporary tooling, which is made of less robust material. Outfits like Protolabs do well on that.
      https://www.protolabs.com/
      Protomold is quick, but even they will be thousands for a mold, and higher cost per part

Comment

Originally posted by 95DRGT View Post
        I would have to measure specifically but plastic with an inner metal ring that springs the plastic tabs to it attaches to wheel. I have a source for the black medallions for the centers.

As some have mentioned before temporary, non-hardened single cavity tools can usually be done cheaper but at the expense of longevity (total parts the mold can produce before replacement is needed) and cycle time (which drives up the piece part price). The bulk of our production is done in China or Taiwan (where I oversee the our Asia office - I live full time in Taipei and visit our factories constantly throughout the year).

If I had to guess, I would say you are looking at $6000 for the mold and a few dollars per part. For accurate pricing I would need better pictures (inside too) and dimensions.

Comment

Originally posted by bug1124 View Post
          As some have mentioned before temporary, non-hardened single cavity tools can usually be done cheaper but at the expense of longevity (total parts the mold can produce before replacement is needed) and cycle time (which drives up the piece part price). The bulk of our production is done in China or Taiwan (where I oversee the our Asia office - I live full time in Taipei and visit our factories constantly throughout the year).

If I had to guess, I would say you are looking at $6000 for the mold and a few dollars per part. For accurate pricing I would need better pictures (inside too) and dimensions.
          Hes quoting injection mold prices btw...not urethane casting.

Which would be about $100 for a mold thatll last about 50-200 parts and then$1-2 per part.

For the low quantities you want. Injection molding is a poor choice.

Edit: assuming you do the labor.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
            Hes quoting injection mold prices btw...not urethane casting.

Which would be about $100 for a mold thatll last about 50-200 parts and then$1-2 per part.

For the low quantities you want. Injection molding is a poor choice.
            Well yes and no, the $6000 guess is for a mold that will last for 75,000 shots.

Comment

Well yes and no, the $6000 guess is for a mold that will last for 75,000 shots.
              Yes and no to what?

Comment

Yes and no to what?
                Yes, my estimations are for injection molding.

No, the tool won't last for only 50-200 shots.

Comment

Yes, my estimations are for injection molding.

No, the tool won't last for only 50-200 shots.
                  Im talking about urethane casting when i say 50-200. Weve been answering a guy who was asking about making 50 parts. A urethane or silicone mold wont last for thousands which is specifically why i brought up that limitation.

Injection molding for 50 parts is not a good idea when you look at the economics.

Comment

Protomold is quick, but even they will be thousands for a mold, and higher cost per part
                    Cheaper than permanent tool. I'd wager $3k for the tool then $5 for each part there after. He'd have to make ~67 parts and sell at $50 to break even. Sell only ~32 @ the $100. After that it's profit.

To get actual costs, just use their automatic quotation and upload the CAD file. You can do the math to see the exact amounts he'd have to make and sell.

Comment

Cheaper than permanent tool. I'd wager $3k for the tool then $5 for each part there after. He'd have to make ~67 parts and sell at $50 to break even. Sell only ~32 @ the $100. After that it's profit.

To get actual costs, just use their automatic quotation and upload the CAD file. You can do the math to see the exact amounts he'd have to make and sell.
                      Protomold definitely has their place, i was just pointing out that theyre still going to be in the thousands for tooling alone. Ive used protolabs for cnc work and 3d printed parts.

OP, can you share the design with us?

Comment

Protomold definitely has their place, i was just pointing out that theyre still going to be in the thousands for tooling alone. Ive used protolabs for cnc work and 3d printed parts.

OP, can you share the design with us?
                        Won't argue. He's out some cash outlay either way, just not as bad in one case versus another. There's some serious robust 3D printed parts out there, too. I don't know much on those costs, though and if it'd fall well into his business model he's trying to do here.

Comment

Won't argue. He's out some cash outlay either way, just not as bad in one case versus another. There's some serious robust 3D printed parts out there, too. I don't know much on those costs, though and if it'd fall well into his business model he's trying to do here.
                          Man 3D printed parts are still very expensive for what you get. I think thats part of why the sectors taken a bit of a hit.

But the metal printing is starting to get very good. Though all parts are still "near net shape" and require some clean up machining.

Comment

Working...
                          X