China vs US manufacturing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• China vs US manufacturing

I am looking getting 5000pc of a ABS plastic mold created, how does the US fair vs China at this time for this kind of work? I know wally world is bringing some stuff like this back to the US, I didn't know if local was starting to get competitive again.
    Interested in being a VIP member and donating to the site? Click here http://dfwmustangs.net/forums/payments.php

I would trust that the US has a big advantage in ABS type injection molding. Given that we have been doing this shit for a very long time. IIRC correctly we invented the ABS injection molding...
    Originally posted by Silverback
    Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Depends on the part size and complexity.

The mold will be the expensive part here btw. For a decent sized part...youre talking several thousand.

A GOOD shop in the US will be the best option for early stages.

Comment

As a side note, if the process is highly automated, the labor differential is a little less apparent, but it will still be less expensive to go with china, the Phillipines, indonesia...etc. It just depends on how refined the design is...product maturity, shipping costs...etc.

Comment

Check with Hill Plastics in Lewisville. They are a job shop with a good reputation.
          Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Thanks guys
            Interested in being a VIP member and donating to the site? Click here http://dfwmustangs.net/forums/payments.php

Comment

Get with Roy at Cary products. Local and will get it done right. Tell him you know Scott from Powr-Flite.

Comment

Originally posted by kobuzz View Post
                Get with Roy at Cary products. Local and will get it done right. Tell him you know Scott from Powr-Flite.
                I picked up a Powrflite floor machine a few months back. Didnt know we had a hookup.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
                2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

Originally posted by fordracing19 View Post
                  I picked up a Powrflite floor machine a few months back. Didnt know we had a hookup.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
                  Yes sir. Let me know if you need anything else.

Comment

My company handles manufacturing for projects such as that (both within the Domestic US and Asia). At 5000 pcs you will probably have a hard time amortizing the cost of the tool without driving your piece part price through the roof.

That said, if you'd like to get an idea of pricing, I can get you some numbers to consider while you shop around for the best solution. PM me if you still need more information.

Comment

Are there other ways of doing this at lower piece counts?

You can't get (obsolete part) Gen 1 Lightning Center Caps. I could easily sell probably 50 of them on Lightning Forums or Ebay if they could be made. I highly doubt that it would be cost effective though. The last 2 or 3 I've seen on Ebay have sold for $100 so people are willing to pay.

Comment

Originally posted by 95DRGT View Post
                        Are there other ways of doing this at lower piece counts?

You can't get (obsolete part) Gen 1 Lightning Center Caps. I could easily sell probably 50 of them on Lightning Forums or Ebay if they could be made. I highly doubt that it would be cost effective though. The last 2 or 3 I've seen on Ebay have sold for $100 so people are willing to pay.
                        What material and What size are they?

Comment

As already stated the mold is the expensive part and may take more than 8 weeks to get. There will generally be a prototype mold made in wood prior to the metal. Molds made in the US will be triple the cost of Chinese molds.

Hill Plastics are good people but to my knowledge do not have an injection molder. They could Thermoform something for you.

Plast-fab has a 5-axis router if manufacturing that process would work. Ask for Marshall.

Premier Technical Plastics in Irving has molders. Ask for Jerry, he works from home usually but is very knowledgeable about the industry. The cost of the mold vs the quantity may be a deal killer.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
                            What material and What size are they?
                            I would have to measure specifically but plastic with an inner metal ring that springs the plastic tabs to it attaches to wheel. I have a source for the black medallions for the centers.

Comment

Originally posted by 95DRGT View Post
                              I would have to measure specifically but plastic with an inner metal ring that springs the plastic tabs to it attaches to wheel. I have a source for the black medallions for the centers.

Maybe urethane casting. Not sure how long it would hold up as urethane absorbs a small amount of moisture...but it may be worth testing.

Color match will take some time as well.

Check out smooth-on and alumilite for reference

Comment

Working...
                              X