Shoddy construction found after Rowlett/Garland Tornados

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by juiceweezl View Post
    The code being fine depends on your definition of fine and what you want to get out of it. Do you want a residential home in NTX to withstand the majority of storms it faces? If so, then the code is fine, but don't expect it to stand up to anything EF1 or bigger. The mean reoccurrence for those wind speeds isn't great enough to raise the wind speeds here (funny that the seismic design categories are changing with all the activity though), so you can't expect a code compliant house to stand up to the recent storms in a direct hit. If they had been built to a code plus standard, then it's likely many would have been unscathed, but that's not a legal requirement since it's above and beyond the code. As for being designed to resist a tornado, you can't make that blanket statement. You can cost effectively build to resist wind speeds which you can cross to EF0-2 storms. You can build to resist an EF3 for a little more cost, but anything above that becomes substantially more expensive. Shelters are a much better option there. Oh, and you can absolutely expect a wood structure to survive a tornado the likes of what we just saw. Ever go to say Myrtle Beach, Charleston, or even parts of Florida? Many of the homes there are stick framed and stand up to hurricane force winds > 130mph. The same is true for many homes on the TX coast.
    I know houses can be but most dont need to be. Definitely depends on location of the house. Building houses to meet circumstances of less than 0.1% chance of a tornado everywhere in TX doesnt make sense. How many times has Rowlette been hit by a tornado? How many times has a tornado of EF3+ hit that specific area of Rowlette? You can build stuff to withstand all you want, but odds of needing to build to that spec doesnt make sense. If you build along the coast, you better build for the higher chances of hurricanes but do you need to build for 200mph winds that probably wont happen in 100 years?

If you are building to a standard of IBC, Im sure its fine to survive 99.9% of the time. And if not, thats what home owners insurance is for.

Comment

Originally posted by 8mpg View Post
      I know houses can be but most dont need to be. Definitely depends on location of the house. Building houses to meet circumstances of less than 0.1% chance of a tornado everywhere in TX doesnt make sense. How many times has Rowlette been hit by a tornado? How many times has a tornado of EF3+ hit that specific area of Rowlette? You can build stuff to withstand all you want, but odds of needing to build to that spec doesnt make sense. If you build along the coast, you better build for the higher chances of hurricanes but do you need to build for 200mph winds that probably wont happen in 100 years?

If you are building to a standard of IBC, Im sure its fine to survive 99.9% of the time. And if not, thats what home owners insurance is for.
      Did you read what I posted? Building to the 90mph IRC (the residential code) is sufficient for the majority of storms faced. That being said, you can build to resist wind speeds up to and through EF2 very cost effectively -- very, very cost effectively. Let's say you have a $250K house, and for another $3K you could withstand EF2 winds, you tell me what makes sense...

Comment

Originally posted by juiceweezl View Post
        Did you read what I posted? Building to the 90mph IRC (the residential code) is sufficient for the majority of storms faced. That being said, you can build to resist wind speeds up to and through EF2 very cost effectively -- very, very cost effectively. Let's say you have a $250K house, and for another $3K you could withstand EF2 winds, you tell me what makes sense...
        Removing crap wood, that's what!
        Originally posted by Cmarsh93z
        Don't Fuck with DFWmustangs...the most powerfull gang I have ever been a member of.

Comment

Is anyone really surprised at the outcome of this thread? I'm not. He's got a history of ignoring logical responses and advice.
          Originally posted by BradM
          But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
          Originally posted by Leah
          In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

I just assumed the guy was trolling with the wood comments.. lol

Comment

Originally posted by Chili View Post
              I just assumed the guy was trolling with the wood comments.. lol
              nah, he's functionally retarded. Remember that blow up he had about that chick that was cheating on him? He married her AFTER THAT.
              "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
                nah, he's functionally retarded. Remember that blow up he had about that chick that was cheating on him? He married her AFTER THAT.
                Haha.. Good point.

Comment

John Chad Allen - his parents originally wanted to name him Chad John Allen but then they decided on John Chad Allen.
                  Originally posted by davbrucas
                  I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

So I married a hot chick and got fucked over. Big deal happens every day and it will likley happen again. It's funny to me that you guys are reaching to TRY to insult me. Like i said ive been here since 2001 and couldnt care less what anyone says here because you have zero impact in my life whatsoever other than taking 10 seconds to type this out. At least I didn't marry a fat sow like most here.

It's also much more sad this site has become a circle jerk for 10 people or so. Has been for years. I saw it coming though.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by FunFordCobra View Post
                      So I married a hot chick and got fucked over. Big deal happens every day and it will likley happen again. It's funny to me that you guys are reaching to TRY to insult me. Like i said ive been here since 2001 and couldnt care less what anyone says here because you have zero impact in my life whatsoever other than taking 10 seconds to type this out. At least I didn't marry a fat sow like most here.
                      Oh, Im sorry, I wasnt talking to you, nor trying to insult you. You're a fucking idiot, and you insist on proving it over and over again. You didnt get fucked over, you got fucked with and asked for more, and you dismiss it as something that just happens so frequently that you could not possibly know it was going to happen to you; and then you say it's going to happen again because you're a goddamn tard.

It's also much more sad this site has become a circle jerk for 10 people or so. Has been for years. I saw it coming though.
                      Well fuck, we got a goddamn Nostradamus on our hands here. Your credibility as a see-er is suspect, though.
                      "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by funfordcobra View Post
                        it's also much more sad this site has become a circle jerk for 10 people or so. Has been for years. I saw it coming though.
                        fact.

Comment

It's funny to me that you guys are reaching to TRY to insult me.
                          I didn't insult you. Just stated the facts, sir.
                          Originally posted by BradM
                          But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                          Originally posted by Leah
                          In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Working...
                          X