Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FunFordCobra View Post
    Just use wood a real man would use
    I really wish you would elaborate instead of being cryptic.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
    Originally posted by Leah
    Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

Houses are built like shit here and thrown together to capitalize on the booming economy.

I noticed this the most when I was in CO. The houses up there are built (obviously) completely different. The emphasis is on surviving winter vs. being semi-comfortable in summer. Our house in Denver was ~3600 sq ft, 3 stories (incl. basement). The basement was finished off and maintained a comfortable 65* year round. The houses are often positioned to grab the most amount of the southern sun, and heat the house naturally. My gas/electric bills were less than 50% of what they are down here in our current house ~2500 sq ft, 2 stories.

Subtle differences include the amount of dust that accrues down here as well.

The inspection process is pretty different as well, in regards to quality, insulation, sealing, and so forth.

There is nothing shocking that the houses in E. Dallas were built like shit. I suspect it's the same in any area of the metroplex where sub $200k housing exists and was built at the speed of population-explosion.

Comment

lets just say if all those homes were build of quebracho the tornado woulda cried.. I'm willing to bet those homes were busted out in a month or so too with cheap products and labor.
        sigpic

Comment

lets just say if all those homes were build of quebracho the tornado woulda cried.. I'm willing to bet those homes were busted out in a month or so too with cheap products and labor.
          Let's just say you're a goddamn idiot if you think we're going to import Argentinian wood to build houses.
          "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

maybe for the lower class... enjoy your plywood.
            sigpic

Comment

maybe for the lower class... enjoy your plywood.
              Sorry. Just Therma-ply cardboard on those.
              2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

What builder in the US uses ANY kind of hardwood in framing in a home? I don't know of a single one. The best I've seen in stick built construction is 2x6 lumber.

Frankly if you're going to do hardwood framing, you'd be better off using ICF. It would probably be more affordable as well.

Comment

You're a moron who obviously knows nothing about building. The reason construction is sub par in so many areas of the country is simple -- it complies with demand.

The code is a minimum standard. People don't see it that way. Builders tout, "This house is built to code!" when they're really saying, "I just built the worst possible house I can legally build!" That is an undeniable fact. That being said, houses that are truly code compliant have demonstrated a success rate through the years, thus that's why the standard exists in its current form. It's not a matter of 'bad wood' as long as the wood is graded and selected accordingly. The issue is when it's not used properly. Go look at any roof in NTX that is stick framed. Most people think it's skilled labor. The rest of us cringe because the 'Miracle 2x6' isn't supposed to make those spans. Other areas of the country use trusses for the same type roof. That cost money though.

The consumer here wants to keep up with the Jones. They don't care about a structural house as they're probably upgrading in a few years anyway to some other production neighborhood. Instead, they want as much square feet as they can fathom, hardwood floors, granite, etc. Why spend $3K on improving the quality of the home and have laminate countertops? There is no insurance discount for building a 'code plus' home either. So, don't lay blame on a builder for proving the consumer what he wants and what he's willing to pay for. You can't compare production builders to custom builders either, because the custom guy works for a different customer.

You can't blame the code officials either. If they begin to truly enforce the code, no home would pass inspection. The builders would get mad as their costs rise trying to comply with code. The consumer absorbs the cost, and they get pissed. Then, the city officials face push back from the builders who threaten to leave for the next town/city since land is so abundant. The code official doing his job is then fired or told to let stuff pass. That's the way it works, and the consumer is driving the bus. When the consumer truly decides they want a better, code plus home AND is willing to pay for it, then quality will go up.

Comment

Originally posted by juiceweezl View Post
                    You're a moron who obviously knows nothing about building. The reason construction is sub par in so many areas of the country is simple -- it complies with demand.

The code is a minimum standard. People don't see it that way. Builders tout, "This house is built to code!" when they're really saying, "I just built the worst possible house I can legally build!" That is an undeniable fact. That being said, houses that are truly code compliant have demonstrated a success rate through the years, thus that's why the standard exists in its current form. It's not a matter of 'bad wood' as long as the wood is graded and selected accordingly. The issue is when it's not used properly. Go look at any roof in NTX that is stick framed. Most people think it's skilled labor. The rest of us cringe because the 'Miracle 2x6' isn't supposed to make those spans. Other areas of the country use trusses for the same type roof. That cost money though.

The consumer here wants to keep up with the Jones. They don't care about a structural house as they're probably upgrading in a few years anyway to some other production neighborhood. Instead, they want as much square feet as they can fathom, hardwood floors, granite, etc. Why spend $3K on improving the quality of the home and have laminate countertops? There is no insurance discount for building a 'code plus' home either. So, don't lay blame on a builder for proving the consumer what he wants and what he's willing to pay for. You can't compare production builders to custom builders either, because the custom guy works for a different customer.

You can't blame the code officials either. If they begin to truly enforce the code, no home would pass inspection. The builders would get mad as their costs rise trying to comply with code. The consumer absorbs the cost, and they get pissed. Then, the city officials face push back from the builders who threaten to leave for the next town/city since land is so abundant. The code official doing his job is then fired or told to let stuff pass. That's the way it works, and the consumer is driving the bus. When the consumer truly decides they want a better, code plus home AND is willing to pay for it, then quality will go up.
                    Pretty much what I tried to explain to my wife when we bought last year but she refused to listen, so we got a brand new house that was thrown up in 2 or 3 months. It is a really nice house and "exactly what she wanted", but 6 months into it things started to settle, tile was cracking, water leaking throub grout, and cracks around doorframes. 3 or 4 doors don't latch anymore, or at least not until the house shifts again. Had it over a year now so we will see how many oore times I have to tell her I told you so.
                    I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

Just do like the messicans do in there own country, build the fucking houses out of concrete. They catch on fire, tornado comes, it floods and all they need to do is repaint and replace a few things and there good to go lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny
                        That's not necessary. Get off the Google bong.
                        no denny, u.

Originally posted by Sgt Beavis View Post
                        What builder in the US uses ANY kind of hardwood in framing in a home? I don't know of a single one. The best I've seen in stick built construction is 2x6 lumber.

Frankly if you're going to do hardwood framing, you'd be better off using ICF. It would probably be more affordable as well.
                        I worked a contract where an ex legislator from Austin hauled 10 tons of Austin granite all the way to his mansion in Montana for building materials. He's not even that rich as far as rich goes either.
                        sigpic

Comment

lol Get your panties out of a bunch. I'm only reading the first line of your whatever because I don't care.
                          sigpic

Comment

lol Get your panties out of a bunch. I'm only reading the first line of your whatever because I don't care.
                            Just as long as you read the part that confirmed that you're completely out of your element, Donny.
                            Originally posted by PGreenCobra
                            I can't get over the fact that you get to go live the rest of your life, knowing that someone made a Halloween costume out of you. LMAO!!
                            Originally posted by Trip McNeely
                            Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy
                            dont downshift!!
                            Go do a whooly in front of a Peterbilt.

Comment

didn't see that. all I know is that if people didn't use such shitty wood Rowlett would still be here.
                              sigpic

Comment

Best post in this thread.
                                didn't see that. all I know is that if people didn't use such shitty wood Rowlett would still be here.
                                Give it a rest already

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
                                Originally posted by Leah
                                Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

Working...
                                X