Shoddy construction found after Rowlett/Garland Tornados

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shoddy construction found after Rowlett/Garland Tornados

I think we're going to hear a lot more about this in the coming weeks. We were discussing this in an earlier tornado thread but I thought this can stand on its own. I wonder if North Texas towns will update their building codes. As I said before, building codes are the minimum standard. However that doesn't mean the minimum standard has to be pitiful.

It looks like some builders aren't even following that minimum standard. Will they and the building inspectors be held accountible? It was very fortunate that there were no kids in the school mentioned in this article. We would have had a helluva lot more fatalities if there were.

Like I said they need to stop using this shitty wood!
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by FunFordCobra View Post
      There are a couple of us still waitin on an answer as to how you can tell it is sub par material from the one picture I posted, almost a week ago...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
      Originally posted by Leah
      Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

Keep waitin
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by FunFordCobra View Post
          Wood is graded and stamped. It's not the wood. As was stated, the code is a minimum standard, but the problem is that houses aren't even built to that. I promise you that 99% of the houses built in NTX do not meet the minimum requirements for wall bracing. That is the lateral resistance element in the home, and it leads to failures during wind events. In fact, the majority of drywall cracks you see in homes that get attributed to 'bad soil' are due to a lack of bracing. You can find non-compliance in just about every home, especially those with great rooms and tons of windows.

Comment

When i tore out the second bathroom some of the wood was rotted near the top. Same thing with the master bedroom and living room. Giant pieces of wood rot. Couldn't even use a different 2x4 instead of the rotted ones when building

Comment

My neighbor's house built in the 80's burned up last year. When the builder started looking at where to begin the rebuilding efforts they discovered the trusses were all wrong and causing the roof to spread and force an outside wall to move out which could eventually collapse. They tore off everything but the wall studs and started over and up to code.

Comment

Well, duh, you use illegals to build houses instead of carpenters and this is what you get. Further, you rush to complete the jobs as plug-n-chug housing by volume, and short cuts are gonna happen.
                "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

Originally posted by ghosttx View Post
                  well, duh, you use illegals to build houses instead of carpenters and this is what you get. Further, you rush to complete the jobs as plug-n-chug housing by volume, and short cuts are gonna happen.
                  bingo!

Comment

Originally posted by GhostTX View Post
                    Well, duh, you use illegals to build houses instead of carpenters and this is what you get. Further, you rush to complete the jobs as plug-n-chug housing by volume, and short cuts are gonna happen.
                    wouldn't this fall back on the architect?

Comment

My sister and her husband are having a house built and this is the kind of stuff I worry about.
                      QuestionableContent-Awesome Webcomic

Comment

Originally posted by snacksnack View Post
                        It should fall back on the building inspectors not doing their jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by snacksnack View Post
                          Architect just draws the plans. I seriously doubt any architect for the plug-n-chug developments ever visits the sites. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if these contractors just buy plans off some generic housing website.
                          "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

Just use wood a real man would use
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by GhostTX View Post
                              Architect just draws the plans. I seriously doubt any architect for the plug-n-chug developments ever visits the sites. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if these contractors just buy plans off some generic housing website.
                              All of our homes are designed in house. Our architects as well as our owners visit each new prototype during different phases of construction.

We are the 3rd largest home builder in the metroplex.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
                              Originally posted by Leah
                              Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

Working...
                              X