X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On the reception and detection of pseudo-profound bulls**t

On the reception and detection of pseudo-profound bullshit

Abstract
    Although bullshit is common in everyday life and has attracted attention from philosophers, its reception (critical or ingenuous) has not, to our knowledge, been subject to empirical investigation.

Here we focus on pseudo-profound bullshit, which consists of seemingly impressive assertions that are presented as true and meaningful but are actually vacuous. We presented participants with bullshit statements consisting of buzzwords randomly organized into statements with syntactic structure butno discernible meaning (e.g., “Wholeness quiets infinite phenomena”).

Across multiple studies, the propensity to judge bullshit statements as profound was associated with a variety of conceptually relevant variables (e.g., intuitive cognitive style, supernatural belief). Parallel associations were less evident among profundity judgments for more conventionally profound (e.g., “A wet person does not fear the rain”) or mundane (e.g., “Newborn babies require constant attention”) statements. These results support the idea that some people are more receptive to this type of bullshit and that detecting it is not merely a matter of indiscriminate skepticism but rather a discernment of deceptive vagueness in otherwise impressive sounding claims. Our results also suggest that a bias toward accepting statements as true may be an important component of pseudo-profound bullshit
    receptivity

Here's a tl;dr for the report:

Your Facebook Friends Who Post BS Inspirational Quotes Really Are Dumb, Says Study

Going on Facebook and looking at your feed is a masochistic tic that all too many of us are plagued with; at its worst, it's a somber reminder that, at one point in our lives or another, we were a poor judge of character and befriended dumbasses. Admittedly, there are days when I scroll through the wall of my former best friend from middle school and cackle maniacally in response to her constant stream of memes about how nice pit bulls are, nostalgic 90s posts, and of course, profound quotes about life: "'You have permission to rest. You are not responsible for fixing everything that is broken. You do not have to try and make everyone happy. For now, take time for you. It's time to replenish.' —Unknown."

According to a new Canadian study from the University of Waterloo, my ex-best friend, and others like her, are actually rather stupid. In the research paper, "On the reception and detection of pseudo-profound bullshit," PhD candidate Gordon Pennycook and four other researchers assert that there is a link between low intelligence and being impressed by seemingly profound quotes.

In the study, the researchers used a website called Sebpearce.com, which generates random statements meant to sound profound like, "This life is nothing short of an ennobling oasis of self-aware faith," or, "Today, science tells us that the essence of nature is guidance."

"I came across the website, I just kind of thought about if there was any research on this; I wanted to know if people thought those statements were profound," Pennycook told VICE. "I often see quotes [on my newsfeed] that are maybe not quite as egregious, but you see a lot of motivational ones... there's quotes and a picture of somebody who obviously did not say the quote—you come across that quite often."

In the study, nearly 300 participants were presented with various statements, including those of the "bullshit" variety, and asked to react to them by rating their profoundness on a scale of one to five, classifying quotes as either profound, bullshit, or mundane. They were also given tests meant to measure their cognitive ability and personality.

The paper gave the following as an example of a statement participants were asked to respond to: "Hidden meaning transforms unparalleled abstract beauty."

Those who were unable to detect the bullshit and rated the pseudo-profound as actually profound were determined to be lower in intelligence, less likely to engage in reflective thinking, and more likely to hold conspiratorial or paranormal beliefs.

In other words, these types of people are, as Nietzsche once said, "Locked in the glass cabinet of the mind's self-reflection."

awesome.
    "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Very profound study!

Comment

Comment

I knew it!

Comment

Like!
            Originally posted by Taya Kyle, American Gun
            There comes a time when honest debate, serious diplomatic efforts, and logical arguments have been exhausted and only men and women willing to take up arms against evil will suffice to save the freedom of a nation or continent.

Comment

Bullshit....
              Originally posted by talisman
              I wonder if there will be a new character that specializes in bjj and passive agressive comebacks?
              Originally posted by AdamLX
              If there was, I wouldn't pick it because it would probably just keep leaving the game and then coming back like nothing happened.
              Originally posted by Broncojohnny
              Because fuck you, that's why
              Originally posted by 80coupe
              nice dick, Idrivea4banger
              Originally posted by Rick Modena
              ......and idrivea4banger is a real person.
              Originally posted by Jester
              Man ive always wanted to smoke a bowl with you. Just seem like a cool cat.

Comment

Sounds about right, based on the stupid shit i see on my facebook feed.

Comment

psssh Facebook. All they have to do is follow Naynizzle and his meme posts.

Comment

if you think i am bad that is only about .000062% of my news feed

Comment

I don't think I can comprehend that percentage. I mean, I know its less than 1%.

Comment

thats all i know too

Comment

Makes sense. What I find more annoying than the memes is the check ins and fitbit postings. It's amazing to me that people think others care to know they are currently at the post office or that you walked 5,000 steps today. It's inane. Hat's off to Mark Zuckerberg. Become a billionaire by creating something where everyone's trite day to day existence is socially relevant.

Comment

Originally posted by LS1Goat View Post
                            Makes sense. What I find more annoying than the memes is the check ins and fitbit postings. It's amazing to me that people think others care to know they are currently at the post office or that you walked 5,000 steps today. It's inane. Hat's off to Mark Zuckerberg. Become a billionaire for creating something where everyone's trite day to day existence is socially relevant.
                            Just get more fat lazy friends and those will all go away.

Comment

Originally posted by Tremor14 View Post
                              if you think i am bad that is only about .000062% of my news feed
                              You need to get a life then if your wasting that much time on things like that, just imagine if you put this extra time to use on your truck.

Comment

Working...
                              X