are car alarms a thing of the past?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chili View Post
    We have that on Lea's son's car. Viper product that we got from EW. We can check the location of his car from our phone anytime (including speed and direction of travel). We can also set alerts for speed, if he leaves a preset area, or if the vehicle is moving at all after certain hours.

The systems has other functions as well, but we only bought the GPS tracking piece.
    I need something like that for my Miata. Don't think a expensive alarm is worth the trouble on it but it would be nice to track it if it came up missing somehow, like if it got towed.
    1997 Miata - Weekend\Autox Car
    1994 Mustang Cobra - Garage Shelf
    2012 Mazda 3 - Daily

Comment

We have that on Lea's son's car. Viper product that we got from EW. We can check the location of his car from our phone anytime (including speed and direction of travel). We can also set alerts for speed, if he leaves a preset area, or if the vehicle is moving at all after certain hours.

The systems has other functions as well, but we only bought the GPS tracking piece.
      Does he have to tell you when he's pooping too?
      sigpic

Comment

What model did you get?!

Comment

Originally posted by BoostedD1 View Post
          What model did you get?!
          DSM250. The new model is DSM350.

Comment

Which reminds me I haven't received my www.crutchfield.com magazine.
            ha!

Comment

Remote start, phone notification, GPS tracking, remote disable, shock sensors, proximity sensors, and motion sensors.

Yes, we do that too.

Comment

Originally posted by Magnus View Post
                Does he have to tell you when he's pooping too?
                That was the condition of a 16 year old getting a V8 Mustang (first a Fox, then a New Edge).. He just turned 18 a couple weeks ago, so going forward it will be up to him to renew the annual fee if he wants to keep it, which we are recommending in case it gets stolen.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny
                  Did you ever have to use it?
                  I'm not sure if I ever told you this, but I sold the car to some guy as a rolling chassis, he fixed it up, sold it to someone else, and it got stolen. The cops got the VIN number from the guy and found it had loJack and they were able to recover it. Randomly saw it at the only time I've ever been to yellowBelly and chatted to the new owner of the car, this was probably 2006.

The insane thing was when i renovated the interior, I pulled fucking EVERYTHING out and found a bunch of random wires and shit and unplugged a lot of them. I'm surprised loJack still fucking worked.
                  Last edited by abecx; 12-18-2015, 08:57 AM.

Comment

That was the condition of a 16 year old getting a V8 Mustang (first a Fox, then a New Edge).. He just turned 18 a couple weeks ago, so going forward it will be up to him to renew the annual fee if he wants to keep it, which we are recommending in case it gets stolen.
                    I guess I'm just remembering all the non-tracking technology, the pager, and change for pay phones from when I was that age.

Have designated "areas" and stuff just seems a bit excessive.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Magnus View Post
                      I guess I'm just remembering all the non-tracking technology, the pager, and change for pay phones from when I was that age.

Have designated "areas" and stuff just seems a bit excessive.
                      We haven't used that specifically, and really haven't even had the speed alerts active for a while, I was just mentioning that it was an available option. The idea being that if you set up that for overnight hours, you will get the alert if it leaves that area (if stolen).

Hell, more than anything it was a deterrent for him, just knowing it was installed. The only time we really used the locator was if he wasn't responding to texts or calls (which was very rare). We used the speed alerts for the first year or so.

Comment

I can't remember the last time I even heard an alarm go off on a car anywhere. Could be they do and I've just become conditioned to ignore them.

Comment

Working...
                        X